Board logo

Blacktop Head on ST Bottom End
RallyReason - 4/4/13 at 09:57 AM

Was wondering if anyone has used a ST bottom end and a Blacktop head?

If so is it a straight forward swap? Or are there any modifications required? Or am I best to stay with the St complete engine with a VVT delete kit(hoping to continue to use my current mega jolt and carb setup)

monck - 4/4/13 at 10:29 AM

I too was going to do this as i had a blacktop head with piper 285's and i did find someone that had done it and they said it was a fair bit to do to make it possible so i went down the delete route on the st170 engine .

Ryan

rhinopower - 4/4/13 at 10:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by monck
I too was going to do this as i had a blacktop head with piper 285's and i did find someone that had done it and they said it was a fair bit to do to make it possible so i went down the delete route on the st170 engine .

Ryan

Totally wrong, the heads are completely interchangeable, its silvertop and blacktops that cant be interchanged easily.

Not Anumber - 4/4/13 at 11:09 AM

why does the ST170 engine need the vvt removed. Is it for space saving or compatibility ?

silky16v - 4/4/13 at 02:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
why does the ST170 engine need the vvt removed. Is it for space saving or compatibility ?

Because it very expensive to setup (ECU & Mapping) with an aftermarket ECU to have the VCT working correctly you need a ecu that can do PWM and Camshaft postion to map properly to get the best from the VCT

DTA 60 is the cheapest i've found at around £1000 for ecu & loom then there mapping so another £300+ more like £500

some users on here (including myself) have fitted a VCT delete kit and a Zetec pulley on the inlet and then statically set the cam timing i have personally set mine at 110deg and once it was mapped i'm very happy with the results

[Edited on 4/4/13 by silky16v]

RallyReason - 6/4/13 at 05:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by monck

Ryan

Did you ever try and fit the Blacktop head?

What are your results with the ST170 and delete kit?

Are you running carbs or throttle bodies?

silky16v - 6/4/13 at 05:13 PM

Look at my thread for ST170 results with VCT delete kit

RallyReason - 6/4/13 at 06:34 PM

Been reading a mix of information.

I believe i have 2 options:
- Fit a ST170 engine with the delete kit (using my current carbs and megajolt)
- Can i not use standard Zetec pulleys(hole drilled out) instead of verniers?

- Fit ST170 engine, throttle bodies and a Emerald ECU (which i am told will control the VVT? Expensive option)