Board logo

mounting polo radiator
l0c0st - 4/10/08 at 09:18 AM

I was planning on mounting my polo rad with a couple of brackets made from 4mmx25mm steel rivnutted to the chassis.

The radiator would be sitting on top of the bracket, roughly 4 or 5 inches away from the chassis, so there would be quite a lot of leverage. The top of the rad would be held in place with aluminium brackets, so the lower ones would be taking most of the weight.

That's what I'm planning, but would it be strong enough? How have others mounted their radiators?

Preferably without any welding involved.

Cheers Dom

Edited to add picture, which will hopefully make it clearer. Viewed from the front of the car.

rad mounting
rad mounting

[Edited on 4/10/08 by l0c0st]

SyKaTurbo - 4/10/08 at 09:33 AM

Bob has some good pics in his archive. I did mine in a similar way to him and its very sturdy.

bottom mount
bottom mount

n/s rad
n/s rad

[img][/img]

NS Dev - 4/10/08 at 09:52 AM

I used the bosses same as syka turbo in photos above, just tapped em out for M6 bolts

jollygreengiant - 4/10/08 at 12:36 PM

I made an alli mounting plate that bolts to the front of the chassis after the rad is bolted to it and mounted onto the locating lugs at the bottom.

Rad mounting plate from bacl/bottom
Rad mounting plate from bacl/bottom

fitted to car
Rad & mounting plate on car
Rad & mounting plate on car

SyKaTurbo - 4/10/08 at 01:54 PM

Awesome bit of work there!

bimbleuk - 4/10/08 at 02:34 PM

Not as nice as the above effort but on my Striker I hold the Polo rad and intercooler plus aluminium shroud with 4 simple brackets. been like that for 18 months.

Revised Radiator location
Revised Radiator location

l0c0st - 4/10/08 at 08:55 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. Very useful info.

Dom