Board logo

Grinding at the n/s rear when turning right?
Steve Lovelock - 21/6/11 at 09:06 PM

So I get this grinding on a hard right whilst on a shopping trip at Stoneleigh and forget about it. Then whilst on a shopping trip at Newark I get the same experience. Now I have been on several trips in-between in London and had no problems. I have driven it pretty had in the first three gears on those outings and had no issues. So I take the back wheel off and can't find a thing wrong. No marks anywhere and all relevent items tight and grime free.

I have no idea what to do next and I'm hoping to do the Debden sprint in a few weeks time.

I should say that it comprises of an XR4x4 LSD, disk brakes, push in driveshaft, Gaz shocks as set professionally, standard Luego (Locost) wishbones and 45/195 15" shod Team Pro 1.2's.

Any ideas?

....and preferably cheap and easy.

fazerruss - 21/6/11 at 09:49 PM

sounds like left side wheel bearing to me

HowardB - 22/6/11 at 05:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
sounds like left side wheel bearing to me

+1,

find a large empty space and go round in circles (both directions) with a passenger willing enough to transfer the his/her weight about,....

Macbeast - 22/6/11 at 07:32 AM

Steve.
I'm in Hornsey. If you need a passenger for the above, i'd be happy to try to help
John

tomgregory2000 - 22/6/11 at 07:58 AM

What about the hand brake cable catching on the inside of the rim and making that noise?

Guess how i know

Steve Lovelock - 22/6/11 at 08:51 PM

I could understand the bearing causing the noise, but can't understand why doesn't it happen on the straight?

Definitely not the brake cable though.

Cheers

HowardB - 22/6/11 at 08:56 PM

leave it long enough and it will happen in a straight line, guess how I know??

rusty nuts - 23/6/11 at 06:32 PM

Turning right will load up the left hand side of the car but may not be the rear wheel bearing, Sierra wheel bearings are normally very reliable front or rear

ReMan - 23/6/11 at 07:42 PM

Sticky caliper will let the pads drag slightly , exagerated with the wheel sideways loaded

Steve Lovelock - 12/9/11 at 08:09 PM

Well I changed the wheel bearing and I still have the same problem.

To repeat, it only happens when I am turning right at reasonable speed to ensure that the suspension is loaded. I have double checked all the wishbone/shock bolts and all tight. Absolutely no visible marks anywhere so unlikely to be rubbing.

The noise is difficult to describe with my limited vocabulary but it is a rough knocking that is at quite a high frequency and only occurs when the car is rolled over on the suspension.

Any ideas again?

Steve Lovelock - 3/3/12 at 07:03 PM

BTTT

I am hoping to get the car MOT'd and entered for a few sprints soon and I have not solved this knocking / grinding issue. I have replaced the wheel bearing and there is definitely no rubbing on cables etc. Any ideas warmly received.

Cheers
Steve

bonzoronnie - 3/3/12 at 07:26 PM

Might be worth checking the CV joints on that side.

MkIndy7 - 3/3/12 at 09:02 PM

This is going to sound a really random suggestion.. But check your alternator cooling fan if it has one isin't catching a chassis rail,
ours was doing this once and I'd sworn blind the noise was coming from the back.