Board logo

Handbrake Cable Removal - Rear Drums
Steve&Steve - 14/9/04 at 12:18 PM

Hi,

I’m in the process of dismantling the rear subframe assembly but have run into a problem detaching the handbrake cable from inside the rear drums.

I have unclipped the metal collar that was on the shaft but this doesn’t seem to help the situation. This fixing must come free to allow the cable to be pulled through the holes in the subframe.

Basicaly im stuck Can anyone help? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Rescued attachment pic1.jpg
Rescued attachment pic1.jpg

Steve&Steve - 14/9/04 at 12:20 PM

& a close up of the little critter Rescued attachment pic2.jpg
Rescued attachment pic2.jpg

danro - 14/9/04 at 01:56 PM

Will have a butchers at mine tonight.
I did this a few weeks ago.. Watch this space!!!

theconrodkid - 14/9/04 at 02:21 PM

its just rusted in,a large hammer will sort it

ned - 14/9/04 at 02:27 PM

i ended up cutting the cable mine was rusted so badly.. but then i alreday had a rear disc axle to go on my car...

Ned.

Steve&Steve - 14/9/04 at 07:46 PM

The cable shroud seems in good condition and the cable is shiny and not worn so I don’t want to cut it really.

I have already stuck a big screw driver on it and belted it with a small hammer, so next up is the BIG hammer or maybe a big rock.

I just needed to know it wasn’t some weird clip before I started belting it too hard.

Cheers guys i'll let you know if it works

Steve&Steve - 14/9/04 at 08:04 PM

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHH, I just got my thumb with the big hammer - bloody hurts.

Anyway no pain no gain, the big hammer shifted it , it was indeed just rusty. The screwdriver has made quite a groove where the cable goes in but think it will be OK

danro - 15/9/04 at 07:57 AM

I did have a look when I got home!! honest!
Seem I missed the boat here.
Mine was less corroded and came out with a little leverage from a larger screwdriver - the other side had a collar with flared out barbs - this side was removed by pressing the barbs in with the large screwdriver. Both were a piece of cake to remove - HTH

Steve&Steve - 15/9/04 at 03:57 PM

cheers for looking danro