Board logo

Built in coffee cup holder required
Steve Lovelock - 24/4/12 at 09:41 PM

Hello,

I would like to put a coffee cup holder into my transmission tunnel and I can't find a supplier. What I would like is a molded item that I can sink into the tunnel but the only things I can buy are the clip on type which is not what I'd like.

Any ideas where I might be able to get one?

Cheers
Steve

flibble - 24/4/12 at 09:46 PM

Making one out of fiberglass/carbon would be pretty simple. What's your tunnel trimmed in, FG/Alu/ABS/fabric?

Steve Lovelock - 24/4/12 at 09:59 PM

Yeah, I did think of that but I thought I'd see if I could be lazy. Also, I would like it for Stoneleigh and I am quite busy between now and then. Ali, by the way.

flibble - 24/4/12 at 10:09 PM

Would LR001558 Freelander 2 drop in cup holder to VIN 7H999999 or the end of 2007 | eBay type of thing work or am I on the wrong track completley?

[Edited on 24-4-12 by flibble]

[Edited on 24-4-12 by flibble]

MikeRJ - 24/4/12 at 10:25 PM

A cup holder in a Locost? I've heard it all now

adithorp - 24/4/12 at 10:26 PM

I spent ages looking for something to do that, altough I was putting it in my sidepod. I wanted it big enough to take a cycling bottle or large take-away coffee cup.
Only thing I found in the end was an old style enameled camping mug in the bargain bin at Halfords. Cut the handle off, put some edge trim around the rim and pushed it into a snug hole inm the pod. Works a treat and was only 50p.

You can just about see it on the right here...

It has been known to hold other stuff occationally...

HowardB - 25/4/12 at 05:54 AM

I shall look into this, as I think a little convenience in the car goes a long way, currently I have a cup holder only if the passenger is willing!

Thinking about it - 25/4/12 at 06:12 AM

My MK6 Golf has one of these with a sliding cover when not in use.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-VW-Golf-MK5-MK6-Jetta-EOS-GTI-Euro-Cup-Holder-/290512039873?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43 a3ddefc1

To separate and to adjust for the cup size this fits between the two. It has the obvious use too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-golf-mk5-mk6-gti-r32-gt-tdi-td-cc-more-bottle-opener-cup-holder-new-/280856613740?pt=UK_CarsPa rts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41645bd36c

Not too deep either if space is tight.

mad4x4 - 25/4/12 at 07:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Thinking about it
My MK6 Golf has one of these with a sliding cover when not in use.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-VW-Golf-MK5-MK6-Jetta-EOS-GTI-Euro-Cup-Holder-/290512039873?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43 a3ddefc1

To separate and to adjust for the cup size this fits between the two. It has the obvious use too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-golf-mk5-mk6-gti-r32-gt-tdi-td-cc-more-bottle-opener-cup-holder-new-/280856613740?pt=UK_CarsPa rts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41645bd36c

Not too deep either if space is tight.

90 DOLLAR!!!! for a Cup holder....!

iank - 25/4/12 at 07:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

I was going to say there's always one, but apparently there are at least two
It'll be radios and heaters next.

adithorp - 25/4/12 at 07:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:

Minimalist! My minimum requirement is a cup of coffee on a long drive or at least a bottle of water... and why not for 50p and some left over edge trip.

Peteff - 25/4/12 at 08:25 AM

Don't drink and drive. If you want a coffee get out and sit in a chair and put your cup on a table.

AllWeatherDan - 25/4/12 at 08:42 AM

I found these

Linky

Link 2

SAAB cup holder

Very cheap no drilling required

Couldnt find the one I was thinking of but this is hopefully a good start

Dan

iank - 25/4/12 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:

Minimalist! My minimum requirement is a cup of coffee on a long drive or at least a bottle of water... and why not for 50p and some left over edge trip.

Every litre of coffee/water is over 1kg of additional weight to drag round

YQUSTA - 25/4/12 at 10:00 AM

Stainless Steel Poker Table Cup Holder Large | eBay

or but it is brown
American Motorhome RV Brown Cup Holder, 3' Deep | eBay

mangogrooveworkshop - 25/4/12 at 02:30 PM

We used to stick the cups next to the car on the ground.
Personally I would like to be out of the car getting some blood back in the legs.
Still teatering between a caterham and a lotus Elise depending on the coffee cup holder

mangogrooveworkshop - 25/4/12 at 02:30 PM

We used to stick the cups next to the car on the ground.
Personally I would like to be out of the car getting some blood back in the legs.
Still teatering between a caterham and a lotus Elise depending on the coffee cup holder

Steve Lovelock - 25/4/12 at 06:20 PM

Excellent responses, I love this site.

I know one could easily take exception to the idea of coffee on the move but I love it. To get to Stoneleigh I will do 100 miles up the M1 (well, if the weather is good I'll go up the A6) and after a while I crave a little sip of the old bean. When I am in the Luego I am away from work and all stresses and I like a bit of comfort in those situations.

The Adithorp solution is exactly the idea I was looking for. However, as the consul is ali I'm thinking of ordering the poker table job for £5. Excellent. Think of me next week as one happy bunny on the way to Stoneleigh.

Cheers to the lot of you.

steve m - 25/4/12 at 06:48 PM

hi

when you find a suitable cup holder, can you see whats available in the ashtray department, as i need in my 7

Steve

YQUSTA - 26/4/12 at 07:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
hi

when you find a suitable cup holder, can you see whats available in the ashtray department, as i need in my 7

Steve

Search ebay for ford transit ash tray, they are round and fit inside the cup holder, there are other makes that use the same method.

steve m - 26/4/12 at 09:28 AM

But if it fits in the cup holder were is my coffee going to be?

jphenebery - 26/4/12 at 04:00 PM

How about the cupholder/ ashtray combo out of a mk3 Ford mondeo you get a cup holder the ashtray and a ciggar lighter all in one section, If you want to no the size let me no and i will mesure the one in my Mondeo
p.s It takes a large costa coffee cup

jphenebery - 26/4/12 at 04:01 PM

One of these hopefully the link works FORD MONDEO MK3 BLACK/SILVER ASH TRAY CUP HOLDER UNIT | eBay

YQUSTA - 26/4/12 at 04:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
But if it fits in the cup holder were is my coffee going to be?

You can sink it in so it is removable like the cup holder :-)