Board logo

Airbrush instead of aerosol
clbarclay - 16/7/09 at 07:31 PM

I know a few people on here have airbushes, even if its just the people that got them as a kit with a Lidl compressor. I was wondering if they could be used as an effective alternative to aerosols for spraying small items.

At the moment I'm using up old aerosols to paint pedals and brackets etc. but they don't last too long and I have quite a bit of paint in tins get through. Brushes are an obvious solution, however I prefer spraying to painting with lots of light coats to get a better finish.

Aside from the cost, another problem with aerosols is the have a relativerly wide spray pattern so on small stuff there can be quite a bit of waste.

One problem I can think of is if the application rate is too low.

So has anyone tried using an airbrush for general painting?

austin man - 16/7/09 at 07:48 PM

I have used on to cover small scratches, there's no reason why you cant use one I wouldn't think may be a little time consuming. As for finish they are used for fine detailed work, you may find that due to the low amount of paint being delivered you get patchy paintwork on larger items

02GF74 - 16/7/09 at 07:49 PM

i used air brush to touch up a scratch on my volvo door - metallic paint.

it applies a miniscule amount of paint so for your purposes is totally unpractical - I also found that the paint clogged the nozzle - presumably metallic particles?

this may or may not be a problem for you.

I have 3 spray guns:
1. large machine mart jobbie, maybe 500 ml

2. smaller gun, maybe 200 ml

3. tiny touch up gun, 50 ml?

the last one, 3 above, is ideal for small jobs like engine mounts, alternator brackets.

cost?
I picked up items 2 and 3 and land rover fair, tenner each.

similar items on ebay.

andrew-theasby - 16/7/09 at 07:52 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BADGER-AIR-BRUSH_W0QQitemZ260445016090QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH?hash=item3ca3bb901a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m 14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

These are pretty good for what your after, bit bigger than a typical airbrush, but smaller than a can. I run mine off the compressor not the tins of air. Ideal for wing mirrors, brakes etc

miikae - 16/7/09 at 07:58 PM

I would say for your application you could use a Mini Touch Up Spray Gun to good effect as i have used one for for spraying panels in tight spaces, plus i sprayed my scuttle with it too, i also have a couple of air brushes but only used for fine detailed work together with stencils.

Mike

clbarclay - 16/7/09 at 09:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. A small spray gun looks like the way to go then.

britishtrident - 17/7/09 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
Thanks for the replies. A small spray gun looks like the way to go then.

Spray guns take too long to clean
For parts stick with an aerosol Poundland usually have gloss black and primer for err a pound.

Peteff - 17/7/09 at 07:24 PM

I just blow some thinners through mine and wash the cup out with thinners after (gravity feed gun) usually takes five minutes. I agree that spray cans are good for bits and I keep a can of black, a satin black and some wheel silver for spamming purposes on my bike but colours are done with the gun as coat is much better.