Board logo

MX5 poll
Humbug - 28/10/11 at 08:04 AM

OK, my name is Simon and I own an MX5

I notice that quite a few people's sigs say they have now got an MX5. I sold the Stuart Taylor I built after 5+ years on the road because I wanted something a bit more comfy (old age creeping up!). Anyway, I was wondering just how many of us there are?

D Beddows - 28/10/11 at 08:13 AM

Lol, it's the future

ceebmoj - 28/10/11 at 08:13 AM

I have had 2 in the past and would have another again

nick205 - 28/10/11 at 08:17 AM

I can see the attraction over a kit TBH and they're certainly good value!

theconrodkid - 28/10/11 at 08:19 AM

yup,i got one,after 3 locost,s i decided i would like a bit of comfort,a heater and a removable roof,just as much fun to drive and a lot easier to live with

franky - 28/10/11 at 08:26 AM

The question is with s2000's for under 4k why would you get an mx5?

Honda S2000 Roadster 2.0i - 1999 - Silver | eBay

D Beddows - 28/10/11 at 08:34 AM

Because MX5's are much cheaper than that even - and the upgrade bits (no fun having a toy car if you can't fiddle with it!) are much cheaper as well

[Edited on 28/10/11 by D Beddows]

franky - 28/10/11 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Because MX5's are much cheaper than that even - and the upgrade bits (no fun having a toy car if you can't fiddle with it!) are much cheaper as well

Totally but wouldn't the s2000 be a much much much better place to start with?

Humbug - 28/10/11 at 08:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

but the Honda doesn't look as good as a Mk1 MX5 (runs for cover ... actually not, since this is an MX5 poll!)

stevegough - 28/10/11 at 09:00 AM

I was looking into buying an S2000 just before getting the kit 'bug'. I discovered that a huge number of them were previously insurance write-offs (cat C+D). If they weren't, they were very expensive! But for performance, it would be the S2000 everytime for me.

rdodger - 28/10/11 at 09:04 AM

Got a supercharged MX5 mk2 that I am breaking to build something else!

Humbug - 28/10/11 at 09:26 AM

Quite a few coming out of the salon, then!

MikeLR - 28/10/11 at 09:28 AM

Have a MX5 that I take "er indoors" out in and my Tiger that "I" go out in to have some fun !!

D Beddows - 28/10/11 at 09:29 AM

quote:

Probably would be if I had £4k spare to spend - I could just about afford £1K after selling all my kit car bits so I have an MX5

Plus the MX5 is more like a kit car to drive which is what I wanted - the S2000, good though it is, is much more like a 'grown up' proper car.

phelpsa - 28/10/11 at 10:11 AM

I was going to, then my brain stopped working and I bought an MR2. Oh well!

steve m - 28/10/11 at 10:15 AM

Mr2 is cool, mk 1 i hope

ChrisW - 28/10/11 at 11:13 AM

Have you actually driven an S2000? I'd take the MX5 and spend the rest making it faster. The Honda handles well and sounds the part on vtec, but it's not actually that quick.

Then again, you're all wrong. Mk2 MR2 is where it's at. Engine is in the right place and you can either get a turbo and wind the boost up or go the route I've gone and drop the Camry V6 in. Oh, and it's t-top, so best of both worlds.

Chris

phelpsa - 28/10/11 at 11:21 AM

Mk2? blurgh! There was only ever one real MR2

[Edited on 28-10-11 by phelpsa]

ChrisW - 28/10/11 at 11:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

What's got more rust? The MR2 or the gas thingy behind??

This is the real MR2 (and this one is mine!)

On route to Le Mans 2011
On route to Le Mans 2011

Chris

phelpsa - 28/10/11 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

What's got more rust? The MR2 or the gas thingy behind??

This is the real MR2 (and this one is mine!)

On route to Le Mans 2011
On route to Le Mans 2011

Chris

The one above is actually mine Photo taken on Sunday. Suprisingly solid but with the usual mk1 surface rust. Contemplating a 2zz-ge conversion at the moment.

TimC - 28/10/11 at 12:43 PM

We have a 10AE and a kit(ish) project here, plus a my Co car doesn't have a roof either.

Fortunately the works van is available for runs to B&Q!

ChrisL - 28/10/11 at 01:40 PM

MX-5 here too, had it for 12 years, will use it as my daily drive until it falls apart, loads of fun but not as exhilaration as my Tiger

907 - 28/10/11 at 02:18 PM

My wonderful future daughter in law on her first track day.

Paul G

MX5 at Snetty
MX5 at Snetty

JekRankin - 28/10/11 at 03:51 PM

I bought a Mk1 earlier in the year.

Great fun car, but it was difficult finding one without rotten sills - may I was just unlucky with the cars I went to view but even some of the 'rust free' ones were starting to bubble through!

I'd have loved an S2k for 4k, but if you only have 1-2k to spend, I think its a good choice. As my everyday car, it's a little more thirsty than I was expecting though. I think I'm only just managing 30mpg.

Jek

Humbug - 28/10/11 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JekRankin
I bought a Mk1 earlier in the year.

Great fun car, but it was difficult finding one without rotten sills - may I was just unlucky with the cars I went to view but even some of the 'rust free' ones were starting to bubble through!

I'd have loved an S2k for 4k, but if you only have 1-2k to spend, I think its a good choice. As my everyday car, it's a little more thirsty than I was expecting though. I think I'm only just managing 30mpg.

Jek

My Mk1 had 11 months' MOT but crusty rear arches and nasty patched-over sills so I paid accordingly and spent the difference saved on getting the arches and sills done properly. If it hadn't been a BBR Turbo I probably would have kept looking for another. I have been getting around 30mpg (super unleaded...) though it was a "bit" lower when I went for a track day

RK - 28/10/11 at 05:05 PM

i think they are the same as going to a tom robinson show in the 70s; great fun but dont want to be seen there. not that i would know.

scootz - 28/10/11 at 05:31 PM

I'd want a Mk1 or Mk2 MR2 over an MX5.

Guinness - 28/10/11 at 08:04 PM

There is no option for "have an MX5 that is going to become a donor!"

perksy - 28/10/11 at 08:30 PM

a mate down the road sold his 200 brake Westfield and bought a Mk 3 MX5 and hasn't regretted it for a minute

Had a good look and can see where he's coming from to be honest, it does look a nice all rounder...

Perhaps i'm getting old

Steve Hignett - 29/10/11 at 01:06 AM

I'm afraid that I bought mine for slightly boring reasons:-

It was cheap - And I mean you'd have to lend me nearly £3,500 for me to buy that S2000 on top of the MX5 money!)...
It was to put a smile on my wife's face, she's (We've) had a tough year...
It was a lot less to insure than my wife's other car (which we are selling asap!)...
It gets much better MPG than her prev car...

However, I love driving it too, and it only has to be above freezing for me to drop the roof, and my little boy (19 Months) absolutely loves it too!

It drives quite well, needs a bit of time and money spending on it (which we don't have right now)... Bit it's got 4 good tyres on it, holds the road well etc. It is dog slow mind, and I will be noting down all the above MX5 owners for advice, so be warned you will prob receive a U2U from me )

Anyway, here it is:-

Edited, just to add another photee

[Edited on 29/10/11 by Steve Hignett]

Steve Hignett - 29/10/11 at 01:11 AM

Just did a quick count and 9 people have posted they have an MX5, but 12 people have voted they have an MX5, sorry it's 10 and 12, as I forgot to count myself!

Anyway, who are the 2 people that are too embarrassed to admit it and feel the need to stay in the closet - err, I mean the salon???

zilspeed - 29/10/11 at 08:45 AM

Steve

Just read your last but one post and as far as I'm concerned, you ticked all of the boxes.

It's still a fun car, but it demands so very much less of the driver and owner than a no compromises kit car.
The flip side of this is that it's so much more useful for much more of the time than a Locost or similar.

I would suggest that if you're not intending on using your locost for mostly track use then an MX5 (or an MGF, I would contend) is a far far better choice for the vast majority of people.

I've always believed this. The format of the MX5 is spot on and it would be a very well conceived and excuted kit car that would be a better proposition.

matt_gsxr - 29/10/11 at 09:45 AM

Don't have one.

But understand why they are popular here as they deliver on the original Locost promise of building a car for £250 (when corrected for the IVA cost, so £750).

Ferg - 5/11/11 at 10:08 AM

MX-5?? I'm sticking with the kit.

mangogrooveworkshop - 5/11/11 at 10:53 AM

Im looking at something way better its a nice car to tow my new caravan

thefreak - 5/11/11 at 03:25 PM

I've got 2!
Bought the first to be the donor for the Exocet, then after stripping it and sorting a roll bar and the brakes then tracking it I thought it was too much fun to break so bought a second for the donor.
Garage now has 1 fully working and 1 chassis waiting to be cleaned up lol