Board logo

Just bought my engine - mmmmmm V8
Graceland - 4/9/04 at 05:33 PM

stuffed the V6 idea off and won an auction for a V8 on ebay

27.80p was the winning price and even if it needs a rebuild, which i suspect it will get anyway, is a bloody good price for a whole engine

woohoooooooooooooooo

collecting tuesday night - pictures will be taken then

glad i built the bigger chassis with the taller and wider engine bay now hehe

Ben_Copeland - 4/9/04 at 07:54 PM

Nice one mate... jammy get !

JoelP - 4/9/04 at 09:49 PM

auction was on £8 for a while! nice one paul.

mangogrooveworkshop - 4/9/04 at 11:00 PM

There aint no sub 4 cubic inches.

Graceland - 5/9/04 at 08:28 AM

there aint no replacement for displacement

stephen_gusterson - 5/9/04 at 08:35 AM

four cubic inches is about 70cc

Graceland - 5/9/04 at 08:45 AM

200 CI then for the 3.5 rv8 - not bad that i rekkon

twinturbo - 5/9/04 at 04:54 PM

Now find the SD1 Five speeder or the ford conversion Bell housing kit

TT

p.s. there was a BH on ebay last week..

Graceland - 5/9/04 at 05:55 PM

gonna get my mate who is an ally welder on the case and we are going to modify an MT75 gearbox to fit

sgraber - 5/9/04 at 09:02 PM

oooooo! Brumble, bruuuuumble! I love the sound of a v8 with some decent headers and exhaust.

Congrats on your good luck.

wilkingj - 5/9/04 at 09:35 PM

I too will be getting a Rover V8 in a weeks time, I remembered a mate changes his Range Rover from V8 to diesel a few years ago.
He Still had it in his Shed. £70 including everything bar the starter motor. It was running fine when it came out. He just became a diesel demon.

I have a SD1 bellhousing, but need that Elusive SD1 gearbox in working condition. They are getting a bit more scarce.
Basically they are an LT77 (Leyland Transmission with 77mm between the shafts) these are not the best of gearboxes and not behind a V8. They also suffer from poor Lubing of the output shaft. I have one in my Diesel Land rover, and they are not cheap to replace.
LT85 is better in a Landrover, but I dont think its any good for 2WD.

Does the Team think / know of any other boxes that will fit with a convertor plate, (except the T5).

Best Regards

Geoffw

Graceland - 5/9/04 at 09:48 PM

i'm going to be getting an MT75 to mate to the V8 - should be pretty easy

blueshift - 5/9/04 at 10:13 PM

Welcome to the club

Hugh Jarce - 6/9/04 at 05:39 AM

The Toyota Celica 5-speed is a really good box. It's amazingly strong with a HUGE input bearing. They're small and aluminium so quite light.
You can buy bellhousings to mate it to just about any engine ever built. I put one behind a RV8 in a 4 cylinder MGB. The stick came up in almost the exact same place too.