Board logo

jsut picked up my new engine :D
Graceland - 7/9/04 at 09:40 PM

one rover V8 ready for a quick stripdown and re-ring and bearing rebuild

not that heady when fully laden are they hehe

best bit is the engine cradle i "made"

shopping trolly from local supermarket, cut basket off, put engine onto trolly from back of tranny van and push up driveway - so easy

pictures starting tomorroe, but now i gotta route learn bolton to clitheroe calling at 8 stations along the way lol - work always gets in the way

JoelP - 7/9/04 at 10:07 PM

damn it clitheroes a sh*thole... ive looked at houses up there, but they not worth the cost of the visit...

Graceland - 7/9/04 at 10:30 PM

clitheroe is a beauty spot compared to Hall I' Th' Wood just outside of bolton. lmao

cassidym - 7/9/04 at 11:48 PM

Graceland, been meaning to ask you, is your chassis similar to McSorleys +442?

sgraber - 8/9/04 at 03:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Graceland
clitheroe is a beauty spot compared to Hall I' Th' Wood just outside of bolton. lmao

clitor-what?! It sounds like a GREAT place to visit, but wouldn't really want to live there either. I hear it floods once a month...

stephen_gusterson - 8/9/04 at 09:03 AM

heh

we also have a place called cumbernauld.

Perhaps thats a place we would like to visit - more than 1 a month

atb

s
teve

Peteff - 8/9/04 at 10:07 AM

It's pronounced Warley though. It sounds like a picturesque village but it's far from that. My mate was in charge of demolishing some terraces there, everyone was rehoused and he was going to sort out getting the power and water cut off next day. When the crew got there the houses were stripped before they started. The roof slates were all on pallets and one gable end was removed and all the bricks were cleaned and ready to sell. The local mafia were there guarding them and wouldn't let the legit crew near them. The houses had to be made safe before the crew could go near them to knock them down!!!!

twinturbo - 8/9/04 at 11:34 AM

Cummersdale, Little cockup and Big cockup are all local to me..

And just outside orpington you have Badgers Mount and prats bottom..

TT

ned - 8/9/04 at 11:49 AM

i pass byfleet & newhaw station everyday - twice! then there's horsham, balls cross..

Ned.

Liam - 8/9/04 at 09:16 PM

You'd be amazed how many cool places are right on your doorstep!

Just Click Here!

Liam

stephen_gusterson - 8/9/04 at 10:00 PM

i have

Titty Ho (map)
6.5 miles

Willey (map)
25.4 miles

Butthole Lane (map)
37.8 miles

Shaftenhoe End (map)
39.3 miles

Foul End (map)
42.1 miles

Nasty (map)
42.5 miles

I have only heard of titty ho. There is a car dealers called titty ho motor co there.....

atb

steve

ps

from Liams area, I like the nice sounding Newton Blossomville

but not

Herbert's Hole
24.9 miles

Crotch Crescent
26.4 miles

Golden Balls
30.5 miles

Pishill
32.0 miles

Tyttenhanger

[Edited on 8/9/04 by stephen_gusterson]

locoboy - 9/9/04 at 05:32 PM

didnt use the link but licky end and bell end are near me lmao

Graceland - 9/9/04 at 05:37 PM

not impressed much with the engine i just won for cheepo cash - good pair of heads, some other random bits, a rare breakerless dizzy and thats about all i can salvage - pistons seized well in the bores

piccy of the "unseizing process" which failed to work Rescued attachment DSCI0011.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCI0011.JPG

zilspeed - 9/9/04 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
heh

we also have a place called cumbernauld.

And guess who live there for his sins ?

At least we're handy for the best driving roads in the world

Viper - 9/9/04 at 07:13 PM

Graceland
CoCa Cola is good at unseizing the bores

Graceland - 9/9/04 at 07:22 PM

cocacola??????????????????

Viper - 9/9/04 at 07:35 PM

yeah chuck it down the bores and leave it overnight or longer if needed.

Graceland - 9/9/04 at 07:49 PM

why cocacola?????

new one to me that is

Peteff - 9/9/04 at 07:52 PM

Take the sump off and put it in from the other end. Use the cheap stuff. Take the crank out and belt the pistons back down the bore with a hammershaft. If that fails you have a good doorstop. It'll need boring anyway.

[Edited on 9/9/04 by Peteff]

Graceland - 9/9/04 at 07:55 PM

i've got a good v8 plantpot then

time to buy another one......... wheres my local car breakers with a v8 in it, ummmm

James - 10/9/04 at 10:57 AM

Hmmm, really like the Coke idea- have to hope my engine seizes now... just so I can give it a go!

Cheers,
James

mackie - 10/9/04 at 11:30 AM

Graceland,
if it is a gonner just clean it up, whack a plate of safety glass on top and sell it as a coffee table. I saw one on ebay go for £170!
How much of a rebuild were you planning on doing?
At some point I think we want to do a fully rebuilt bottom end for our engine, maybe replace valve stem seals and seats and fit new timing gear.
It should be good for a while yet though.

SeaBass - 10/9/04 at 12:28 PM

quote:
a rare breakerless dizzy

Standard on Vitesse...

Cheers
JC

mackie - 10/9/04 at 12:59 PM

Any post '76 V8 should have electronic ignition.
Graceland, do you know which dizzy you have?

Graceland - 10/9/04 at 02:53 PM

aint a cloo which dizzy it has - but have sold the block to my m8 for a tenner - he is gonna make a coffee table out of it and i have a good pair of heads to play with and some other nice things.

the best bit is i just won another one on ebay for 70 quid - picking that up on monday - the bloke even turned it over on the starter motor while i was on the fone to him how good is that!! at least it aint seized lol

mackie - 10/9/04 at 03:16 PM

Cool
Is it a complete engine?
We payed rather a lot for ours but it was (more or less) complete with full efi gubbins and it also came with a non-shagged LT77.
I think we may need a new water pump so i'll keep and eye out for bargains.

PS. This link: http://www.rpiv8.com/electrics-1.htm has useful info about distributors.

[Edited on 10/9/04 by mackie]

Graceland - 10/9/04 at 04:16 PM

i've got a spare SD1 short nose waterpump if you are interested -from the efi engine lol

no play in bearings, turns freely

binraker - 10/9/04 at 04:42 PM

when i unsiezed a very rusty 1920's ajustable spanner that had been pulled out a river in the 50's and left outside till about 1998. just required lots of wd40 mixed with engin oil and left for a month at a time and then clobbered with a hammer, reapply and leve. then wire brush and a power drill to make it all shiney. the wd40 penitrates and the engine oil follows and then the light oil evaporated leving the high compression oil behind so when thumped it oly had to move a teeney wee bit to get fully lubricated (thats what i was told. its aparently an old army/REME trick. i learnt it of my grandfather). im also told that the idea is not to just heat a sized bearing but to cause thermal shock to the sheer plane. so you have to cool either the bearing or the axle very fast but keep the other bit hot. my grandfather demonstarted this on the nuts that held the poceline insulator onto a telegraph pole when he got one to tunr into garden stakes. worked amazingly well.

worth a shot on the next siezed block

mackie - 11/9/04 at 11:04 PM

quote:
i've got a spare SD1 short nose waterpump if you are interested -from the efi engine lol

no play in bearings, turns freely

I might take you up on that but I can't remember for sure if it was that that was leaking or one of the little pipes near it.

If it's cheap I'll have it anyway since ours has a pretty long nose to it and will only just clear the front of the chassis unless chopped.

Graceland - 12/9/04 at 09:43 AM

i'll take a picture of it from front, side and rear mackie - i think there were about 8 differant flavours of water pump for the SD1

however, i've cleaned it up with a nice wire brush and given it a coating of anti-corrosion primer and anticorrosion black paint too looks smart

sgraber - 12/9/04 at 02:12 PM

Graceland,

I'm compiling a list of engine weights and their accessories. It's something that has bothered me for a long time that everyone simply guesses at their engine weights. Nobody ever takes the effort to put the damn thing on a scale! Since you have your engine apart I think that its a great time to take some measurements!

Do you mind giving weighing everything and giving me a list? I would like to set up some sort of standard to make it more accurate, so I think I'll start a new thread about this. Please be on the lookout for that.

Graceland - 12/9/04 at 02:17 PM

if i had some scales i would weigh things, lol

dont even have any bathroom scales to use

twinturbo - 12/9/04 at 03:26 PM

I will not bother saying I told you so ...

ooopsss...

Ahhwell at least you knwo how they come appart without forking a good un..

TT

Graceland - 12/9/04 at 04:05 PM

always a pecemist......

mackie - 12/9/04 at 08:18 PM

quote:
i'll take a picture of it from front, side and rear mackie - i think there were about 8 differant flavours of water pump for the SD1

however, i've cleaned it up with a nice wire brush and given it a coating of anti-corrosion primer and anticorrosion black paint too looks smart

Cool it's appreciated.