Board logo

Solidworks
HomersDouble - 21/2/13 at 09:31 AM

Hi All,

Hypothetically of course, if I was looking for a reliable free license for SolidWorks 2013, to replace my evaluation one that runs out shortly, where might I look? Can anyone help out?

Cheers, Chris

Matt_C - 21/2/13 at 09:47 AM

If you have the program installed you can usually find a torrent for the licence file online. I have found a few helpful things downloading though u-torrent including solidworks 2010 license which works. All hypothetically speaking of course.

tomprescott - 21/2/13 at 01:55 PM

Hypothetically, solidworks is one of the few I wouldn't mind paying for because it seems like a reasonable price for how much effort must have gone into making it and how useful it could potentially be - particularly when compared with AutoCAD, which I don't think (and I'm definitely not an expert so could be wrong) is going to be much more useful for the average locost builder but costs loads more.

I recognise that they probably have different target markets but solidworks seems like its much much much better value for money, and I don't mind supporting the guys who make it.

Must admit, living in SE Asia now so I *could* get pretty much any software on disc for around 50 or 60p which would save me the risk of a dodgy torrent file.

I believe for solidworks the file you are searching for is called SSQActivator....

D Beddows - 21/2/13 at 04:19 PM

In an ideal world I'd pay for Solidworks too - a single license being £3K means that's not going to happen

If I'm honest I don't use it anymore anyway - not because I don't like it I just don't need it at the moment

HomersDouble - 21/2/13 at 04:49 PM

Reason for asking is that I have been playing with it to assess for company use. We won't buy unless we can get the work to make a case for it though. Price is nearer £4.5k - far too much for home use.

I already have free access to Siemens NX and Pro/Engineer software, but SolidWorks was nice and easy to get on with so thought it would be a useful addition at home.

Being over cautious or not, I have always stayed clear of cracked codes downloaded via torrent - never sure what the sweaty Russian sat in his vest will send me!

Thanks for replies.