snapper - 31/7/09 at 06:27 PM

Vacuum powered wipers

snapper - 31/7/09 at 06:28 PM

Direct rod operated drum brakes

britishtrident - 31/7/09 at 06:32 PM

Vacuum power screenwashers

Tax disc radio aerials

Autovac (a vacuum powered petrol pump)

Holes in the bumper and radiator for starting handles. ---- sometimes the engine didn't even have a dog on the end of he crank for the starting handle you had to pay extra for that :-)

[Edited on 31/7/09 by britishtrident]

britishtrident - 31/7/09 at 06:34 PM

4 wheel steering -- remember that fad

Dunlop Denovo tyres

rusty nuts - 31/7/09 at 06:36 PM

But not inbuilt corner jacks like some of the old MG saloons had.

britishtrident - 31/7/09 at 06:37 PM

Cone clutches

Cut out switches on the dash to regulate the dynamo manually.

Advance-Retard and hand throttle levers on the steering wheel

Throttle pedal in the middle between clutch and brake.

britishtrident - 31/7/09 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
But not inbuilt corner jacks like some of the old MG saloons had.

And the Austin Princess 7 seater and some FX3 Taxis

Another one Taxis with luggage platforms instead of a front door

clbarclay - 31/7/09 at 06:42 PM

Ladder chassis, assuming we are just talking about typical cars and not including utility vehicles.

Pre selector gearbox

Clutch leavers outside the bodywork

[Edited on 31/7/09 by clbarclay]

BigFaceDave - 31/7/09 at 06:50 PM

Square steering wheels! (allegro of course)!

Flamez - 31/7/09 at 06:54 PM

vinyl roofs

Jon Ison - 31/7/09 at 07:03 PM

indicators
off switch on fog lights
handbrake

Peteff - 31/7/09 at 07:12 PM

Side windows in Volvos, they're going to pull out anyway why bother looking.

Toltec - 31/7/09 at 07:18 PM

The driver's brain -

at least according to Nissan

[Edited on 31/7/09 by Toltec]

LBMEFM - 31/7/09 at 07:20 PM

Trafficators
Fuel gauge that also shows you the engine oil level (Rover 80 & 90)

[Edited on 31/7/09 by LBMEFM]

rusty nuts - 31/7/09 at 07:35 PM

Running boards, handbrake lever you push forward to select reverse, foot operated dipswitchs, electric demisters, manually operated windows manually operated heater taps under the bonnet, lever arm shock absorbers , king pins, leaf springs

snapper - 31/7/09 at 07:44 PM

Direction indicators (on a BMW)

iank - 31/7/09 at 07:57 PM

Ignition key the passenger can pull out and throw out of the window without killing the engine. (moggie minor iirc)

mediabloke - 31/7/09 at 08:05 PM

Hydrolastic or torsion-beam suspension.
[Edit: Oops! Sorry - GM still use torsion-beam]
Air-vented windscreens (a la Model T)
Ladder chassis on anything smaller than a 4x4.
Rear wing fins.
Rear-window louvres.
Mustard-coloured paintwork - r.i.p, BL!

[Edited on 31/7/09 by mediabloke]

Mal - 31/7/09 at 08:18 PM

Hot tube ignition

Ivan - 31/7/09 at 08:25 PM

Hand powered windscreen wipers - when I was six it was my job to stand in the front footwell and work them on rainy days (Late 40's Peugeot LDV)

mediabloke - 31/7/09 at 08:41 PM

Another: warm-air recirculation controls on air boxes. Never really saw the point...

Ninehigh - 31/7/09 at 08:46 PM

Actually night vision and that tiredness detection thingy are good ideas, especially the latter. I've found that when I realise I'm tired it's kinda too late and I have to drive another half an hour plus before I can pull over..

One that should have been put on there is double glazing, not heard of it since it first came out...

t.j. - 31/7/09 at 10:13 PM

Austin Allegro

Or a petrol-engine converted to Diesel like LR did.

Wood-gas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 31/7/09 at 10:58 PM

overdrive
MG maestro talking dash
bench seats
proper dash boards
quarter lights
cars that fit in a single garage!

mangogrooveworkshop - 1/8/09 at 06:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Flamez
vinyl roofs

Disagree......they are making a come back in the chav tuning scene saw a bonnet done the other day

Ninehigh - 1/8/09 at 07:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
quote:
Originally posted by Flamez
vinyl roofs

Disagree......they are making a come back in the chav tuning scene saw a bonnet done the other day

In which case Flamez is amazingly right. Anything a chav does is crap, and we need to get the suggestion in that having no mouth is brilliant

MikeRJ - 1/8/09 at 10:23 AM

I think people are missing the point? The link was to technologies that are not necessarily outdated, but are simply superfluous.

A perfect example is the moronic electronic indicator stalks that tempt me to snap the bloody things off every time I drive a car with one. Electric handbrakes also fall into this category.

David Jenkins - 1/8/09 at 12:06 PM

The most redundant thing on many cars is the message on the door mirror - "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear". Of course they are! That's what happens with mirrors! So every time I look in that mirror I have to look at a message for morons who can't work that out?

Even better - on my wife's Matiz, the message is written on the passenger door mirror, but not on the driver's...

Also the lurid and untidy sticker on both sun-visors telling me not to mess about with the air bags. I know they're dangerous, and I have no intention of f'ing around with them! And why does it have to be especially big due to all the languages it's written in? If they had to have a label, couldn't they have written it in 1 language and made it smaller? I can't read French or Spanish anyway...

iank - 1/8/09 at 12:46 PM

Rev counters, absolutely no point on anything but a race car and even then you'd be better spending the time spotting apexes and looking in the mirrors.

Electric handbrakes

Bulbs that require bodywork disassembly to replace.

Cigarette lighters (but I can see the point of a standardised power socket)

mediabloke - 1/8/09 at 01:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I think people are missing the point? The link was to technologies that are not necessarily outdated, but are simply superfluous.

Ah... Got it!

Have to be the Focus' bonnet lock, then. I can't imagine why your typical thief would choose to nick the contents of the engine bay over those inside the car. Yet you need a key to open it. :confused:

[Edited on 1/8/09 by mediabloke]

iank - 1/8/09 at 03:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mediabloke
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

Ah... Got it!

Have to be the Focus' bonnet lock, then. I can't imagine why your typical thief would choose to nick the contents of the engine bay over those inside the car. Yet you need a key to open it. :confused:

[Edited on 1/8/09 by mediabloke]

Engine bay really needs to be secure else it's an easy target for vandals (handful of sand in through the oil cap etc.) Most cars use the door locks and an internal bonnet release but presumably Ford find it cheaper/easier to put a lock under the front badge (Mondeo's are the same).