jacko - 7/12/12 at 08:24 PM

Kate hoax call nurse is found dead
RIP
Jacko

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838

[Edited on 7/12/12 by jacko]

scootz - 7/12/12 at 08:32 PM

Awful!

Tragic outcome aside, who in their right mind wastes hospital staff's time with childish nonsense (particularly when it surrounds a young lady who is struggling with her first pregnancy).

CRAIGR - 7/12/12 at 08:39 PM

Very sad but got to be some other underlying problem there though as all she did was transfer the call.

whitestu - 7/12/12 at 08:40 PM

It'll have the conspiracy theorists blowing a fuse!

scootz - 7/12/12 at 08:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
Very sad but got to be some other underlying problem there though as all she did was transfer the call.

I can see how it would have affected her. She's been made a fool off on a global scale and probably feels that she's let her employers, her colleagues, a high-profile patient and herself down.

steve m - 7/12/12 at 08:52 PM

A real shame, of a nurse, who is trained to keep us alive,

I hope the two ausie twits ars sacked!

But it it does go back to those days of that fuckwit brand and ross, who made a misery of Manuell's life look rathe lame

Mr sachs, as i couldnt remember his name

[Edited on 7/12/12 by steve m]

JoelP - 7/12/12 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

I can see how it would have affected her. She's been made a fool off on a global scale and probably feels that she's let her employers, her colleagues, a high-profile patient and herself down.

I appreciate what you are saying scootz, but she had two kids to live for. I cant help but feel that her crime is worse than the pranksters.

jossey - 7/12/12 at 09:09 PM

I wonder if them Australian radio dj tw@ts think they are funny now.

They should be done for that.

David

scootz - 7/12/12 at 09:13 PM

She may well have felt that she'd let them down too Joel.

She won't be the first (or last sadly) to make a grossly irrational decision based on a bout of acute depression.

Of course, she may have already had some pre-existing depressive illness. I've no idea really, just speculating.

Whatever she felt, it's incredible sad!

whitestu - 7/12/12 at 09:19 PM

Is it definately suicide then?

Stott - 7/12/12 at 09:21 PM

To be fair it was just a prank call, they happen all the time and people laugh at them all the time because they are generally funny.

This is the most extreme of outcomes and of course nobody could possibly predict this as a consequence of their call. If this was even a probable outcome, the call would not have happened.

Calling a hospital pretending to be the Queen, of all people, I mean come on, who would even think it would work, let alone that the person involved would then go on to be found dead in the following days.

The Djs cannot be held accountable really can they?

I wholeheartedly agree that this is a tragedy and very upsetting for all involved but to suggest blame is to suggest that this was a likely outcome of their actions and I do not beleive that it was.

All in my opinion of course.

CRAIGR - 7/12/12 at 09:24 PM

Well put Stott.

TAZZMAXX - 7/12/12 at 09:46 PM

It is a very sad story but made sadder still by the fact that it would all have been forgotten about in a very short space of time.

Simon - 7/12/12 at 09:47 PM

I thought the orig prank was quite funny. However, the woman who died was obviously full of pride etc at working where she did and has had a massive guilt trip over error of judgement. Her employers were full of praise for her.

The two ozzy dj's had no knowledge of the woman they were speaking to; they are a pair of childish idiots who have had their prank bite them on the arse in the most spectacular fashion.

At the end of the day, if you drive like a twat and kill someone you get done, even if that wasn't your intention. Unfortunatley, that's just what the two have done, and I hope we have an extradition thingy with the ozzies so these two can face reality and the womans family, or at the very least get sacked.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 7/12/12 by Simon]

nick205 - 7/12/12 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
quote:

I appreciate what you are saying scootz, but she had two kids to live for. I cant help but feel that her crime is worse than the pranksters.

Agree with this.

nick205 - 7/12/12 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott
To be fair it was just a prank call, they happen all the time and people laugh at them all the time because they are generally funny.

This is the most extreme of outcomes and of course nobody could possibly predict this as a consequence of their call. If this was even a probable outcome, the call would not have happened.

Calling a hospital pretending to be the Queen, of all people, I mean come on, who would even think it would work, let alone that the person involved would then go on to be found dead in the following days.

I wholeheartedly agree that this is a tragedy and very upsetting for all involved but to suggest blame is to suggest that this was a likely outcome of their actions and I do not beleive that it was.

All in my opinion of course.

Agree with this too.

Dangle_kt - 7/12/12 at 10:25 PM

quote:

Calling a hospital pretending to be the Queen, of all people, I mean come on, who would even think it would work

except the woman they were treating was carrying the Queens grandchild...

Sadest thing about all this is - if everyone wasn't so media/celebrity obsessed:

1) the call would never have been made
2) the nurse who is trained to care for people not deal with prank calls wouldn't have felt crushed by the media coverage
3) other people who have ended their lives in similarly tragic circumstances with all the impact on the family they leave behind might maybe possibly get a mention

its a hugely sad story for so many reasons.

perksy - 7/12/12 at 10:38 PM

Very sad especially coming up to christmas

The crank call would of been forgotten about by this time next week and even prince charles was laughing about it

She obviously took it really badly

Perhaps there were other issues that might surface later ?

Dave Bailey - 7/12/12 at 10:46 PM

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the investigation identifies that senior management hasn't helped here. I have seen a decline over the years where we end up working in a blame culture... Respect has declined and understanding... All too often I hear at work the term 'throat to choke' holding people accountable for things that are either out of heir control or are simply a result of a genuine misjudgement. May she rest in peace....

RK - 8/12/12 at 12:37 AM

Wasn't the receptionist, who ought to have taken the call normally, not there? It started out fairly innocently, and really didn't hurt anyone until now. It is extremely sad and depressing now that his has happened. Don't know anything about her situation, but some of the work environments for nurses/OT's/PT's etc can be brutal; they are trained to help, which makes it worse.

David Jenkins - 8/12/12 at 08:21 AM

The call came in at 05:30 - the nurse picked up the call as she was nearby.

I dislike prank calls intensely - they call some poor unsuspecting person who's just trying to get along, wind them up and get them to say stupid things - then broadcast it for everyone to hear. In this case they got a lonely nurse living in nurses' accommodation (not too grand, I'm sure), her family was 250 miles away in Bristol (so no-one to share her feelings with, and to support her), and she possibly/probably had other issues as well.

She didn't really have a great deal of involvement either - she answered the phone, got conned, and passed the call on to someone else. Unfortunately, it looks like she couldn't cope with her shame, even if it was an over-reaction to the event.

Sad.

02GF74 - 8/12/12 at 08:34 AM

quote:

Spot on!! The first sensible post I have seen on this subject.

The DJ's did nothing wrong nor anything different than what we see on Candid Camera, Beadle's about, You've been framed or one of Noel Edmond's stunts.

All I can say is what a stupid woman, had 2 children - did she really not consider them ????

Her action is not of a sane person but no doubt that will be glossed over by the media as it won't make a good story.

As Morrisey said, Hang the DHJ, hang the DJ coz that is what the public wants.

scootz - 8/12/12 at 08:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
The DJ's did nothing wrong....

Seriously!? Put the outcome aside and at a base level their 'prank' revolved around disturbing busy medical staff who are dealing with sick patients. That's wrong!

David Jenkins - 8/12/12 at 09:00 AM

quote:
The DJ's did nothing wrong nor anything different than what we see on Candid Camera, Beadle's about, You've been framed or one of Noel Edmond's stunts.

You're not holding them up as examples of good programmes, are you?!

They're a total waste of TV time...

MikeRJ - 8/12/12 at 09:52 AM

quote:
quote:
The DJ's did nothing wrong....

Seriously!? Put the outcome aside and at a base level their 'prank' revolved around disturbing busy medical staff who are dealing with sick patients. That's wrong!

It was a thoroughly stupid thing to do, as pranks to get laughs at other peoples expense always are especially when broadcast world wide. The poor nurse must have been humiliated, and despite statements from the hospital saying that she hadn't been reprimanded, I know what hospital internal politics are like. That said, can't help feeling that the poor woman must have already been depressed or under huge stress and this was the final straw, but that's obviously pure speculation.

My thoughts go to her husband and two children that have lost their mother during the Christmas period.

Strontium Dog - 8/12/12 at 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

You're not holding them up as examples of good programmes, are you?!

They're a total waste of TV time...

I seem to remember that things didn’t work out too well for one of Noels stunt victims now did it? Cheap garbage broadcasting is what it is and Scootz is bang on when he says that they were wasting the time of the hospital. I think if I started phoning my local hospital with prank calls I'd soon be in some trouble so why is it all right for celebrities to do it in the name of entertainment?!

02GF74 - 8/12/12 at 01:24 PM

How do you know the staff are busy dealing with sick pateient? You work there? You been there? Somehow I doubt it so so it is pure speculation. From what I read, her job is to man the reception desk so she is not dealing with patients.... but that is neither here nor there.

Yes - Micheal Leash (sp?) if memory serves me well died as a result of Noel's practical joke..... but until that moment the UK public roaring with laughter in their settees.

But I don't really care about the "quality" of those programmes. The point I was making is that this phone call is no different to the pranks and japes shown on those programmes. Nobody objected to them, in fact they would not run for as long as they did it they were not popular.

If you have never laughed at somebody else's expense, then you may cast the first stone but I am sure you have so please get off your high horses.

The public's obsession with trash news media and the blame culture means that now somebody else is being made to take the blame. She made a small mistake, overreacted with tragic consequences.

I see there were two scenarios:

1. She admits she made genuine mistake but no harm was done and life goes one = sensible.

2. Kills herself leaving family behind = stupid.

I'm leaving it there.

scootz - 8/12/12 at 02:13 PM

quote:
How do you know the staff are busy dealing with sick patients...

Cos it's a hospital FFS!

blakep82 - 8/12/12 at 02:28 PM

^ the evidence all adds up!

Micheal Lush DIDN'T die from a practical joke, it was a stunt that he was training for on the show, and was killed in rehersals when a carabiner sprang loose

On 13 November 1986, self-employed hod carrier Michael Lush was killed during his first rehearsal for another live stunt. The stunt, called "Hang 'em High", involved bungee jumping from an exploding box suspended from a 120 ft-high crane. The carabiner clip attaching his bungee rope to the crane sprang loose from its eyebolt during the jump. He died instantly of multiple injuries, and the Breakfast Show was 'cancelled as well as all future editions' on 15 November. This led to Edmonds's resignation.

britishtrident - 8/12/12 at 02:42 PM

ISTR The investigation concluded there was no reason attributed why the carabiner wasn't attached, that show was an accident waiting to happen, if you notice now all shows invovling stunts or dangerous games are filmed outside the UK in territory with less stringent or non-existant health and safety laws.

[Edited on 8/12/12 by britishtrident]

Dusty - 8/12/12 at 03:21 PM

The DJs made a hoax call falsely representing themselves in an attempt to obtain information they were not entitled to have or just as a joke. The nurse who was fooled is now dead. Information is lacking but there is a suspicion that the nurse took her own life. The events appear to be linked.
I can see that they could not have predicted that outcome but fail to see how they bear absolutely no responsibility for her death.
After all it does seem that if the phone call had not taken place the nurse would not have taken her own life, if that is indeed what she has done.

JoelP - 8/12/12 at 06:05 PM

I would agree the DJs bear no real blame here. No sane person would have killed themselves over this, and it was not at all foreseeable - not even remotely.

I think more under the spotlight is conditions and staff welfare in hospitals, that the staff are under such stress and pressure that this can happen. Really, its her managers who want to be in for a grilling.

will121 - 8/12/12 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74.

I see there were two scenarios:

1. She admits she made genuine mistake but no harm was done and life goes one = sensible.

2. Kills herself leaving family behind = stupid.

I'm leaving it there.

In my opinion a rather to simplistic attitude to a rather complex issue

britishtrident - 8/12/12 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I would agree the DJs bear no real blame here. No sane person would have killed themselves over this, and it was not at all foreseeable - not even remotely.

I think more under the spotlight is conditions and staff welfare in hospitals, that the staff are under such stress and pressure that this can happen. Really, its her managers who want to be in for a grilling.

The DJ's bear no direct blame but it doesn’t alter the fact hoax calls are in poor taste a nasty cheap stunt that only show the low regard TV and radio shows that use such hold for their audience. For a while a few years back our local commercial radio station (Radio Clyde) was using hoax calls as a feature of their breakfast show, it was so awful to listen to I simply had to reset my alarm-radio to a different channel.

The broadcast media seem to to be going through a phase where in so called "reality" shows anything that is cruel or insulting to a competitor or member of the public is considered to make good show.

Bare - 8/12/12 at 07:50 PM

Jokesters meet a Nutter with tragic result.

Move on kids.

Mr C - 8/12/12 at 07:55 PM

This is one of the worst threads I've read in a long time, I'm dissapointed and irritated by some of the posts here that clearly show little or no compassion for the death of a fellow human, to call her act of suicide a crime is sick beyond belief, when all she is trying to do is to care for people when they are unable to care for themselves. who knows what was going through her mind at the time, inconsolable, distraught, quilty maybe but a criminal. what a load of bollocks.

Have some respect. or crawl back under the stone you came from.

Thank you to those that showed some restraint and respect when posting their thoughts

btw I am a practicing nurse and have been for 30 years before anyone asks.

My deepest sympathies goes to the poor nurse and those affected by this sad loss.

JoelP - 8/12/12 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
This is one of the worst threads I've read in a long time, I'm dissapointed and irritated by some of the posts here that clearly show little or no compassion for the death of a fellow human, to call her act of suicide a crime is sick beyond belief, when all she is trying to do is to care for people when they are unable to care for themselves. who knows what was going through her mind at the time, inconsolable, distraught, quilty maybe but a criminal. what a load of bollocks.

Have some respect. or crawl back under the stone you came from.

Thank you to those that showed some restraint and respect when posting their thoughts

btw I am a practicing nurse and have been for 30 years before anyone asks.

My deepest sympathies goes to the poor nurse and those affected by this sad loss.

I stand by my comment there (never mind that suicide literally is a crime), depriving two kids of their mother is worse than what the DJs did. Maybe this prank has tipped her over the edge, but one has to wonder how she ended up at the edge in the first place. She must have been suffering depression, or ridiclous stress at work, and the people who let this situation arise also bear more responsibility than the DJs.

Confused but excited. - 8/12/12 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
It'll have the conspiracy theorists blowing a fuse!

Since the 14th Edition, we have all been on breakers, thank you.

Joking aside, that is terrible news. Those two aussie tw@ts should be flogged with a stocking full of hot poo, then given the frosty Fir tree treastment, after all it is Christmas!

britishtrident - 8/12/12 at 10:07 PM

There are a whole load of questions that haven't been raised with regard to hospital and its' management practises.
Laying aside personnel management issues raised by this tragic death this hospital regularly treats VIP & Royal patients but seems to have had no established system for screening calls, also questions should also be asked of the palace staff and the Royal Protection Squad as to why simple security checks were not in place.

Suicide has never been a crime in this country for obvious reasons, there was a crime of attempted suicide but this was expunged because it acts as a block to people in a fragile mental health getting effective help and thus actually increased the number of attempted and successful suicide attempts In countries such as the Irish Republic where attempted suicide is still a crime it is almost invariable because of pressure from an official state church who regard it as a crime against God not not a crime against the dependants, family and friends who have to cope with the tragedy not mention those ho have clean up the mess.
Suicide is dreadful thing to do to your family it sends out ripples that harm a wide circle of people many of whom never met the original person but don't forget the person who commits suicide is a usually victim of his or her depressive or bi-polar mental state.
Actually the percentage number of suicide attempts that succeed are higher among those who are bi-polar, to the outsider they seem the life and soul of the party or the brilliant creative ones but they are locked in a destructive cycle of highs and-lows often the lows don't rear their ugly black heads until the age of 40. Don't ask for whom the bell tolls it may toll for you.

Mr C - 8/12/12 at 10:51 PM

Mental illness isn't the sole factor that predisposes suicide successfull or otherwise other factors include

Gender – males are three times as
likely to take their own life as females;

Age – people aged 35-49 now have the
highest suicide rate;

The treatment and care they receive
after making a suicide attempt;

Physically disabling or painful illnesses
including chronic pain; and

Alcohol and drug misuse.

Stressful life events can also play a part. These include:

The loss of a job;

Debt;

Living alone, becoming socialy
excluded or isolated;

Bereavement;

Family breakdown and conflict including
divorce and family mental health
problems;

Imprisonment.

You don't to be a diagnosed with a mental health problem to committ suicide. Currently socio-economic factors play a large part in the increase in suicide rates for people who have lost job's in financial difficulties etc.

Some of the above information is from "Preventing Suicide In England" a Department of Health Document which forms part of the national suicide prevention strategy which all mental health trusts including mine, use to inform and plan how we deliver services.

If anyone wants proper data instead of googling or wikipedia then try this link which is to the University of Manchester who with Professor Louis Appleby, lead on research into suicide and shape health strategy.

http://www.medicine.manchester.ac.uk/cmhr/centreforsuicideprevention/nc i/

Perhaps if some of the posters here are more informed, they would be less likely to be disrespectful towards the death of this poor nurse.

SteveWalker - 8/12/12 at 11:25 PM

quote:

However, anyone making such a prank call to a hospital should be taking into account that patient confidentiality is taken extremely seriously and breaches of it frequently lead to dismissal or even suspension from/striking from the Nursing Register - preventing the nurse obtaining any work in nursing anywhere. Prank calls are fair enough, but ones trying to cause nursing staff to reveal information, when it is known that such revelation could lead to serious, personal consequences, should never happen.

I have no problem with prank calls and have enjoyed a number of them on the radio, but even in normal office jobs, a breach of confidence can lead to instant dismisal. For this reason, no prank call should ever set out to obtain confidential information (and any information on a patient is confidential) and if it starts to veer into such areas, it should be rapidly steered away or dropped.

SteveW

SteveWalker - 8/12/12 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
In countries such as the Irish Republic where attempted suicide is still a crime it is almost invariable because of pressure from an official state church who regard it as a crime against God not not a crime against the dependants, family and friends who have to cope with the tragedy not mention those ho have clean up the mess.

Both church and state used to regard (and still do in Ireland and other places) suicide as self-murder, as such attempted suicide was effectively classed as attempted murder, hence the harsh punishments.

Dangle_kt - 8/12/12 at 11:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:

However, anyone making such a prank call to a hospital should be taking into account that patient confidentiality is taken extremely seriously and breaches of it frequently lead to dismissal or even suspension from/striking from the Nursing Register - preventing the nurse obtaining any work in nursing anywhere. Prank calls are fair enough, but ones trying to cause nursing staff to reveal information, when it is known that such revelation could lead to serious, personal consequences, should never happen.

I was just about to write this - they were attempting to trick her into doing something illegal, and that would cost her her livelyhood. Hardly blame free.