Board logo

Clutch diameters
Andrew Beattie - 13/8/08 at 08:39 PM

Hi, I'm currently trying to fit a type 9 to a VW TDI engine to go in a Mk1 Transit.
I was wondering if anyone on here knew of any engines which have a clutch disc as close to 227mm as possible to go on a ford 1"x 23 spline shaft?
I've never mixed and matched bits like this before but if I end up with slightly less surface area between vw cover and ford plate, I guess it means it just wont take quite so much torque?
Thanks,
Andrew

Johnmor - 13/8/08 at 09:02 PM

If you go onto http://www9.qha.com/uk/technical/qhcatalogues.htm

You can compare all the clutch friction plates availiable.

I had to use a 215mm friction plate (sierra) when I was looking for a 228mm to suit an Alfa pressure plate. With a light weight car its been no problem. Dont be tempted to go even a couple of mm bigger . I bought a 230mm and it was too big.

bilbo - 13/8/08 at 09:19 PM

Mondeo Mk1 1.6 and 1.8 petrol have 220mm plates with the same spline - QH part C1189AF
Maybe an option?

owelly - 13/8/08 at 09:19 PM

I bought a 228mm 1"x23 friction plate from National Clutches for £20. I think it's from a Focus diesel?

owelly - 13/8/08 at 09:22 PM

http://www.national-auto.co.uk/
but to be honest, I just phoned them up and told them what I wanted. They sent the plate to my closest dealer and I went along and bought it!

owelly - 13/8/08 at 09:34 PM

A quick peek through the catalogues:
228mm friction plates:
Focus DERV NCK 1055, NCK 1192.
Galaxy NCK 929, NCK 977
HTH

Andrew Beattie - 14/8/08 at 04:30 PM

Hi,
Thanks for all the speedy replies, really helpful
Thank you
Andrew

Johnmor - 14/8/08 at 09:25 PM

Just be carful of the more modern clutches, often the spring face of the friction plate protrudes too far and may not clear. I could not use the Modeo plate for that reason

Some are designed for pull clutch operation and not push

owelly - 15/8/08 at 03:51 PM

I think the problem with the gubbins protruding too far isn't model dependant but more the manufacturer of the clutch plate. When I spoke to the tech guy at National and told him what I wanted, he actually asked if there would be issues with the 'torque cage' or springs catching on the flywheel bolts or the clutch cover. I had the measurements to hand and he found me a remanufactured clutch to suit.

Andrew Beattie - 18/8/08 at 09:00 AM

National were really helpful, I'm having one specially made up to fit, as none had the right thickness off the shelf.
Thanks for the recomendation!

NS Dev - 19/8/08 at 06:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Beattie
Hi, I'm currently trying to fit a type 9 to a VW TDI engine to go in a Mk1 Transit.

I love this website...................nowhere else would you:

a) see that question asked

b) see it answered sensibly without so much as a bat of an eyelid

owelly - 19/8/08 at 10:27 PM

Andrew, you owe me a pint.......

Andrew Beattie - 22/8/08 at 04:30 PM

Next time I'm in Whitby!
Collecting it tommorow,
Thanks again