Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Completed! S/C 3.8L Book-size (but not book chassis)
C10CoryM

posted on 12/2/16 at 03:27 AM Reply With Quote
Completed! S/C 3.8L Book-size (but not book chassis)

I received the "Welcome Back" email (which is a great idea btw), and figured I should post. Not sure anyone remembers me, but I was building a V6 book-sized car.

So, amazingly enough, in the time away I actually accomplished something! The car is now "done" and legal to drive. I've had about 3.5hrs of mild driving so far and nothing has fallen off or exploded: I'd call that a success. Car feels pretty good so far, but has not been set-up at all. I'm not able to drive it more until I have a surgery and heal. So probably June before I can really start to drive. Definitely looking forward to thrashing this car at autoX etc.

Specs:
-3.8L factory S/C from a Buick.
- around 265hp/265ft/lbs
-5spd trans from V6 camaro
-3.08 limited slip rear from mustang
-Live axle, 3-link rear susp
-weight: ?? still haven't weighed it yet.

Some pics:

Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 12/2/16 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Well Done!! I like it, in a Mad Max kinda way

I presume at 3.8L and a S/C that it's got potential for a lot more than 265bhp? Surely it's gotta do 400+bhp?

scudderfish

posted on 12/2/16 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I don't remember the car, but that avatar rings a bell
C10CoryM

posted on 13/2/16 at 03:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Well Done!! I like it, in a Mad Max kinda way

I presume at 3.8L and a S/C that it's got potential for a lot more than 265bhp? Surely it's gotta do 400+bhp?

Believe it or not, I started out intending to build a professional quality, and subtle car...... funny how things change. I ran into a major deadline, and rushed the body/trim work. I will redo some of it once the bugs are worked out. I also ended up with a good price on the bigger engine.

Engine definitely has more potential, but it is old technology so the gains aren't too wild. It's a very reliable engine and a torque monster (and I loooove torque). I want to be able to go out and thrash the car, and not explode every weekend. The stock heads max out at around 400bhp safely, and I can't see putting aftermarket heads on. Once I tune it and bump up the boost I should be in the 300-320bhp range, with equal torque (ft/lbs). That should be enough to have fun with while learning the car. My new clutch is slipping a bit, so I have to be gentle for a while. When it grips though, this car already pulls nicely

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
I don't remember the car, but that avatar rings a bell

Heh, I figured that may be the case for some. In fairness, I don't know that my car was more than a rolling chassis last time.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 13/2/16 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Looks OK, even if it was rushed
One observation, not in any way a criticism, by all accounts getting a home built car on the road in Canada is a bit of a 'mare
While in the UK it is (relatively) easy. Looking over your photos, it wouldn't be able to pass IVA in that form, and wouldn't be on the road in the UK. Would ironic be the correct word?

garyt

posted on 13/2/16 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
yes that's a good looking car that is and well done for getting this far.
Oh and I can see why your avatar would stick in folks mind......... suitably etched into mine now

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

C10CoryM

posted on 14/2/16 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Looks OK, even if it was rushed
One observation, not in any way a criticism, by all accounts getting a home built car on the road in Canada is a bit of a 'mare
While in the UK it is (relatively) easy. Looking over your photos, it wouldn't be able to pass IVA in that form, and wouldn't be on the road in the UK. Would ironic be the correct word?

That's funny because I would say the real irony is that I've always looked at the UK and thought it looks like a pain to get legal there. Rubbing balls over your car to make sure a bolt-head doesn't snag a pedestrian....... seriously?! The inspection process here is only Provincial and, in BC at least, pretty straight forward. No emissions test even. There is a lot of grey-area though, and if the inspector chose to they could fail just about any vehicle. The city I am in has a pretty big car culture too which probably helps. Seems like every third house has a classic, or custom car of some sort and our yearly car show is limited to 2200 cars due to space.

Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.