Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: passenger seat location
Dangle_kt

posted on 25/12/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
passenger seat location

Hi guys and girls!

just about to drill the holes for my passeneger seat, and thought i'd enquire what others have done.

without the pedals etc, the passenger footwell is supprisingly roomy,I can have the seat pretty far forward and stillnot be cramped, and most of my passengers will be shorter than me.

the benefit of having it forward is I could use the space behind the passenger seat for stuff, the bad side is it looks a bit odd.

what have others done? I knowI can get the passenger footwell things, so this question is more about the space behind the seat, than leg room.

Miks15

posted on 25/12/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
how about having the seat right back (for looks because it would look rather stupid with i forward i think) then have a compartment under the bonnet which goes into the passenger footwell and block the footwell up?

Hope you understand what i mean

Dangle_kt

posted on 25/12/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
yesI understand, lots of places sell ali foot rest things, it was more a question about storage really, and if anyone else has done it.

pictures would also be good

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
how about having the seat right back (for looks because it would look rather stupid with i forward i think) then have a compartment under the bonnet which goes into the passenger footwell and block the footwell up?

Hope you understand what i mean

Miks15

posted on 25/12/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
well the storage would then be in the footwell, so like a lid under the bonnet just in front of you scuttle you would have a fairly big area under there
blakep82

posted on 25/12/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
i think i know what Mik means, don't just put a foot rest in the passenger footwell, but more a folding flap (hinged at the bottom, and a cam lock (?) at the top, to give lockable storage. this would shorten the footwell also.

i think though, Mik meant to shorten the footwell entirely blocking it up, like a 2nd bulkhead, and there being a little trap door in under the bonnet to it?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 25/12/08 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
or of course, put the passenger seat on slidey runners. move it forward when you need stuff behind it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Miks15

posted on 25/12/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

i think though, Mik meant to shorten the footwell entirely blocking it up, like a 2nd bulkhead, and there being a little trap door in under the bonnet to it?

yeh thats it

Dangle_kt

posted on 26/12/08 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
I getcha! like that idea...
jacko

posted on 26/12/08 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I find if the seat is forward its hard to see past the passenger when you come up to a road junctions and want to look left.
I moved my seat back for this reason

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 26/12/08 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
I find if the seat is forward its hard to see past the passenger when you come up to a road junctions and want to look left.
I moved my seat back for this reason

Agree exactly, especially when you've got an immoveable harness on so you can't move around to look!

Seat back as far as possible. You can always make a boot if required.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 26/12/08 by Simon]

sorens2

posted on 26/12/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
What about cornerweight ?
Put the seat as far back as possible.
And for view as well.

Søren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 26/12/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Longer runners ? that way you can have the seat forward for behind seat storage or back when carrying a taller passenger. I have my passengers seat at the rear unless I'm loaded up with the tent etc when going to a show.
niceperson709

posted on 26/12/08 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Put the seat right back and the extra space in the foot well will be very useful for putting the stuff you want to carry well out of blighty's inevitable rain
I don't even have seat runners on the passenger side of the car , really you just don't need them.

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

blakep82

posted on 26/12/08 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
orrrrrrr....

seat well back, no runners, but some little hooks (seat belt eyes maybe?) in the foot well to take one of those luggage nets you get in the boot of cars?

niceperson709

posted on 27/12/08 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
I have often thought that when i built a new lighter chassis that I will shorten the foot well on the passenger side so that I can have the battery located much lower in the engine compartment. No one that I have carried as a passenger comes even close to reaching the end.
A lower battery has got help the C o G to be as low as possible.

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

sorens2

posted on 27/12/08 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

A lower battery has got help the C o G to be as low as possible.

That´s the spirit.

Søren S2

DIY Si

posted on 27/12/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I found with my passenger seat was that it was too low. It was just bolted to the floor when I got the car, but just about every one said they couldn't see where we were going! I raised it up a bit and left it all the way back. It gives me space to put stuff in the footwell and the passenger can then use the stuff as a footrest. Works well with a 20 tin case of Carlsberg!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.