Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Completely fed up with it
cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Completely fed up with it

anybody fancy swapping their completed kit for an incomplete one before I take it down the tip

Craig

Dangle_kt

posted on 19/7/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've just been on pistonheads thinking the same thing. Getting royaly cheesed off with redoing jobs! I've delayed my sva 4 times now and I think I may have to again! I've only got just over 2 months till I loose the sva and have to get an iva. I keep telling myself it will be worth it when it's done...

Chin up. Your not alone.

big_wasa

posted on 19/7/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
You want to try a locost from scratch.
Hammerhead

posted on 19/7/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
anybody fancy swapping their completed kit for an incomplete one before I take it down the tip

what problems are you having?

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/7/09 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
You need to take a week off from it and get someone locally to take you out for a howl. Batteries recharged, morale high and rearing to go

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Ninehigh

posted on 19/7/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
If you're going to take it to the tip I'll have it! I'll even collect if it'll fit in the back of me mondeo!!

Don't give up, try saving up for a welder and then having something break on the house and watch welder money go cos you need hot water more..

blakep82

posted on 19/7/09 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
nooo don't do it!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead

what problems are you having?

every single job, no matter how small or large, requires inordinate amounts of hassle to resolve.

the current example is fitting my engine:

after having two extra sets of fabricated engine mounts because the originals didnt fit and the replacements didnt either I come to fit the engine after its all sorted and the starter fouls on the chassis.

Options include: replace chassis tube? fine apart from the fact I know nothing about chassis design and I can't weld, there is also noone nearby who can weld even for money. Or a replacement starter for an XE engine, which I don't know if they exist, dont know if a replacement would even fit and can't afford anyway.

This is just one example, without going into the clutch pedal which tries to catapult you out of the car when it was trialed (when the engine was in without the starter), the brake pipes I've had to replace and alternator that mounts to the inlet manifold thats no longer fitted.

Craig

oldtimer

posted on 19/7/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Us scratch builders say, So? Keep going, chin up, if it was easy it wouldn't feel the same.
eccsmk

posted on 19/7/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
unfortunately we all go through times where we feel the need to give up,

after a decent pint and a decent sleep you will see that not everything is against you and looking forward to when it done
you will realise all the struggling
and lack of money was all worth it because
you will own a car that you put together and is just such brilliant fun

so keep at it mate it WILL come right in the end trust me

cd.thomson

posted on 19/7/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer
Us scratch builders say, So?

I'd have scratch built the car if I'd have wanted to scratch build it.

A "scratch builder" has amassed a collection of skills right from the start of the project to overcome these issues which I have not. A small welding job for you, is a virtual impossibility to me.

Craig

Mark G

posted on 19/7/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
You're right though. It will all be worth it.

I hit problems when building mine too and sometimes it feels that you make no progress even after a few months of evening and weekends.

Trust me, When its all finished and you're driving down the road just listening to the sweet hum of the engine its all worth while!

niceperson709

posted on 19/7/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
How badly is the starter fouling the frame ?
You may find that if you just a bit of judicious hammering may solve the problem by denting the tube enough for clearance.

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

Peteff

posted on 19/7/09 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Whereabouts in Notts are you ? How bad is the starter fouling and could you cut the rail to miss it and get to it to weld a piece in ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ninehigh

posted on 19/7/09 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Get one of these nippon ones everyone goes on about, they're supposed to be really small

LBMEFM

posted on 20/7/09 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
There is not one of us that hasn't felt like you during the build, but as they say you WILL get there in the end. Good Luck Barry.
speedyxjs

posted on 20/7/09 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Don't give up, try saving up for a welder and then having something break on the house and watch welder money go cos you need hot water more..

Im at that point at the moment. Just saved up enough for megasquirt and the rear shocks go on the tintop which i need to get sorted before august

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

oldtimer

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
I wasn't being funny with you and I'm sorry if my reply sounded unstmpathetic. I'm not. It is just that we've all been there and practically all issues are solvable. We all get to block points when a completely unforseen problem stops us. You WILL solve it and you'll feel better when you have. I have been stumped so many times on my build some days I could have pushed it onto the street for takers. It happened to me endlessly on my first build and now I'm doing it all again....

There is no truer saying than - things are never as bad as you immagine them to be.

You are getting there and you have all of us behind you too.

Best of luck.

Martin

jabbahutt

posted on 20/7/09 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for being stupid bit did you order the chassis from Dax or buy it from someone who had to give up on the project? Reason I'm asking is if you ordered the chassis wouldn't Dax of asked what engine you were fitting? I'm suprised that a standard starter is fouling unless it's a different type of engine than the chassis was built for.

If you ordered direct from Dax have you rung them to speak about the problmes you're having as they may be able to suggest a solution.

cd.thomson

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
Sorry for being stupid bit did you order the chassis from Dax or buy it from someone who had to give up on the project?

It's an ex-pinto project but I am fitting the XE on the explicit information from Dax that the chassis is exactly the same and the alterations required are to the rear water port and new engine mounts.

I've had a sleep and I'm less angry at it, but still at a loss really. Please see the attached picture to see an extremely bad representation of the issue. I'm guessing I cant just cut that tube out - it must be there for some important reason.

the part that actually hits the rail isnt the starter, its the little tacked on bit (solenoid?) so a starter with a separate solenoid would work! if they existed

[Edited on 20/7/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

mcerd1

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
.....wouldn't Dax of asked what engine you were fitting? I'm suprised that a standard starter is fouling unless it's a different type of engine than the chassis was built for.

Craig, if I remember right yours is a pinto / DeDion chassis (same as mine) and dax told me that the only difference if I wanted to fit a red top was the engine mounts (but I think they use the 7deg. bellhousing)

what kind of starter are you using at the moment and how much space do you need ?

[edit: too slow again.....]

[Edited on 20/7/09 by mcerd1]

-

cd.thomson

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
oh they roll it over slightly! that makes sense, although not sure that would completely solve the issue.

I need about 2cm

Craig

mcerd1

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
its more money than you want to spend, but have you looked at high torque starters ?

they are much smaller than the ford ones (so I assume they are smaller than vauxhall ones)

I got one for my pinto from H&H ignition, they are really helpful (and allot cheaper than burtons / demon thieves etc.)
linky

also there are a couple of folk on the other forum that have put a vauxhall engine in a pinto chassis (not sure what bellhousing they used though)

oh and give Gary or Peter @ Dax a call they might have some suggestions

[Edited on 20/7/09 by mcerd1]

-

cd.thomson

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
the high torque starters are the same shape unfortunately

also im fairly sure gary and peter will be unimpressed with me. I've phoned the before and the implication has always been - if you're not building it as laid out exactly as shown in the manual then dont come moaning to us..

Craig

mcerd1

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
the high torque starters are the same shape unfortunately

they can be allot smaller though

-

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.