Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Type of tubing
hamza

posted on 26/7/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Type of tubing

I went to the market (I am in Peshawar) they told me that there are ERW, Seamless, .........tubes
which tube should I use?

big_wasa

posted on 26/7/09 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
ERW for the chassis and Seamless for the wishbones.
hamza

posted on 26/7/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Welding

Hi again from Peshawar

All the reading material tell us to use MIG welders but while browsing the net I have seen pictures with people using stick welders. Can stick welders be used- if yes what are the specifications of the sticks and the accompanying welders?

Peteff

posted on 26/7/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
You need to be very good to weld thin metal with arc (stick) welder without blowing holes in the metal. You might be able to do it with an inverter and 1.6 electrodes.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rgdavid

posted on 27/7/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
no problem with stick welding, its easier if you have an inverter as it gives a smoother arc without jumping or splattering,
personaly i prefere stick as it gives a better "mix" of the 3 metals ( 2 parent & stick) & better penetration,
for a 1.6-2mm tube i use 2.5mm rods with about 70-80amps & a slow rod avance speed, 70 amps for horizontal welds & 80 amps in the corners,
the good thing about using a 2.5 rod is that it takes some of the heat away giving less chance to blow holes, try & buy rods that can be used in all positions(vertical & horizontal) here ther called "rotul" in angland im not sure ?
practice for a day or 2 on scrap & you will be welding alright ,

good luck, dave

[Edited on 27/7/09 by rgdavid]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hamza

posted on 28/7/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Dave,
Thanks a lot, you are of great help- where I live the information that you gave is very hard to get. We still have the transformer type stick welders, learning about in the inverter is greate- I have found a dealer who promised me to help me in getting an inverter.

Hamza

rgdavid

posted on 28/7/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
just practice a practice some more youll get the hang of it within 2 days,
buy good rods it makes all the difference,

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clbarclay

posted on 29/7/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
And store then somewhere as dry as possible. Trying to stick weld with damp cheap rods isn't fun.

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/7/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Satinex 2.0mm 6013 rutile rods, from BOC, they are green in colour and produce superb, beautiful flat welds with an inverter, mine is a SIP 90.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

steve0368

posted on 15/8/09 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Type of tubing

Is ERW tube the same thing as mild steel tube as supplied by metals4u.co.uk?

http://www.metals4u.co.uk/products.asp?Cat_ID=56

Thanks
Steve

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.