Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: $20 Torque Wrench!?!
beagley

posted on 4/8/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
$20 Torque Wrench!?!

In doing some work on my dad's lawn tractor there was a 15/16th hex head flange nut that holds the blades on the spindles for the cutting deck. My dad doesn't have a torque wrench so I called up the local auto parts store and inquired about a rental as I only needed it for 3 nuts. The person behind the counter informed me that I would have to basically buy the tool and then would be refunded when we brought it back... no big deal.

When I brought it back she was very surprised and said that nobody usually brings them back as I could have just kept it for the $20! Every other torque wrench that I have found have been $85 and on up. It's a needle type torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft/lbs is it even worth bothering with?

Is it better to have a needle type, click type, or any other specific type of torque wrench?

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

tomgregory2000

posted on 4/8/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have treated myself to a snap on digital torque wrench, second hand it cost me £150 and its amazing!!!!!!!!
The digital scale is just fantastic, now i know why people rave on about snap on its just the best!

ReMan

posted on 4/8/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Any is better that none, if you are big and strong and have little by the way of "feel"
nstrug

posted on 4/8/09 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beagley
In doing some work on my dad's lawn tractor there was a 15/16th hex head flange nut that holds the blades on the spindles for the cutting deck. My dad doesn't have a torque wrench so I called up the local auto parts store and inquired about a rental as I only needed it for 3 nuts. The person behind the counter informed me that I would have to basically buy the tool and then would be refunded when we brought it back... no big deal.

When I brought it back she was very surprised and said that nobody usually brings them back as I could have just kept it for the $20! Every other torque wrench that I have found have been $85 and on up. It's a needle type torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft/lbs is it even worth bothering with?

Is it better to have a needle type, click type, or any other specific type of torque wrench?

By needle type, do you mean the type with a dial indicating the torque? I have the 'click' type, which are easier to use, although maybe not quite so accurate.

For occasional use, I don't see the issue with a $20 (or £20) torque wrench. I use the following:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht141-1-2in-drive-torque-wrench

Regards,
Nick

Confused but excited.

posted on 4/8/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
A cheap torque wrench without a calibration certificate is just a noisy spanner.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

beagley

posted on 4/8/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I would really like the click type ESPECIALLY a snap on. Except that your £150 is like $250 for me (sometimes I hate exchange rates). Maybe Santa Claus will bring me one this year!

In my past scenario I had to drive the tractor up on a ramp to give me enough room underneath the deck to get the socket on, but then the dial was facing the ground which made it hard to read. A click type would have been much nicer.

I think I'll hold out and get a nicer click type when the times comes.

My dad can just rent it once a year that he will use it.

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

bigpig

posted on 4/8/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I bet the exchange rate is more £150 = $150 if its anything like the electronic goods exchange rate.

A decent torque wrench is worth the money. Buy once a buy right. Treat it well & get it calibrated every so often and you will save money on replacement tools at that "tight, tight, tighter..very loose" moment as you look for somewhere that does thread inserts

If it comes down to a decent torque wrench or a couple of month's worth of beer supply, the beer can get cut down for a few of months.

Peteff

posted on 4/8/09 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I just did a cylinder head where the torque was 18lb ft then 3 increments of 60°. I had to buy an angle gauge but it was under £4. Stretch bolts tend to use angles now.

Edit to add I use a Britool and 18lb ft is a little bit more than finger tight.

[Edited on 4/8/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rusty nuts

posted on 5/8/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have several Britool torque wrenches and have used the new Snap On digital torque wrench which was brilliant for measuring the angles when using stretch bolts but not as good as a Britool wrench as a torque wrench IMHO
clbarclay

posted on 5/8/09 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
For general torquing up stuff, the type that break back at the preset torque are easy to use, we have a couple of Britool wrenches like this at home. However there are a few jobs that require the torque to be held while another item is done up to clamp it (eg. the fan belt tensioner on some engines). For these jobs the break back torque wrenches are obviously not suitable.

I still keep half an eye out for some second hand DC tooling like they had for a lot of the assembly while I was on placement. Computer controlled electric driven torque wrenches which automatically adjusted to which socket was put on it and could be programmed to torque to a set value and then further tighten the fastener by angle or just by torque. Very nice, but cost accordingly.

[Edited on 5/8/09 by clbarclay]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.