Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Brakes ???
20vturbogaz

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Which Brakes ???

I'm looking at braking opitions and im not sure whats best to go for.

I want willwoods front and rear,which will sitting under 15' 1.2 pro rims. I'm not sure what to go for, Powerlite's or midilite's plus vented or solid ???

My finished Mac will hopefully weight about 570-600Kg and i want to do trackdays a lot ;o)

Also there is what size of disc to go for.

Your opinions on what your running and which road to go down would be great.

Thanks gaz

BenB

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Well I'm using stock calipers and cheap old pads and all I can say is at the recent track day my car stopped quicker than my eyeballs do So that's fast enough for me.....
v8kid

posted on 16/7/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
When I had 15" rims I put Mondeo calipers on with Cosworth vented discs. Just have to make a spacer up for the calipers and machine the hub down a bit. Fairly simple

Stopped on a sixpence. Bit more difficult with 13" wheels though

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StrikerChris

posted on 16/7/10 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I struggle to get my solid disks hot enough to lock out before the drums on the back....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 16/7/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yup I had that problem with drums.

Changed to discs now but handbrake was a pain

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

blueskate

posted on 16/7/10 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using powerlites with drilled solid discs and standard sierra rear discs and calipers. Very quick stoppage A decent set of tyres helps also!

Semper Paratus!

StrikerChris

posted on 16/7/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't bother me,just tells me the drums are more than man enough!just worry if you live within 1/4 mile of my house!
A1

posted on 16/7/10 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
ive got midilites front with drilled discs and sierra standard rears.
stops very very well, especially when warm, but tbh i dont think the rears are doing much.
also, get good pads. ferodo racing ds2500 or ds3000 compound and nothing will stop like it.
(we managed to stop from about 55 in the space of a giveway triangle)

grusks2

posted on 16/7/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Im running willwoods all round ( mac 1 supplied them ) with standard willwood pads rear and upgraded mintex pads front, solid disc.

Brakes are really good on the track, gives me a lot of confidence to go late as hell on the brakes, i also run 888r.

[Edited on 16/7/10 by grusks2]

http://mac1worxbuild.wordpress.com/

forgot my old password so another username doh

lotusmadandy

posted on 16/7/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I run sierra vented disks and calipers on the front and sierra disks and calipers on the rear. the car stops in no time and the hand brake is mint.
They were designed for a car over twice the weight so are more than up to the job of stopping my indy.
The Yokohama parada rubber grips well too.

Andy

ashg

posted on 16/7/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
i had sierra 240mm vented fronts which i swapped for wilwood powerlites and 257mm solid discs coupled with mintex 1144pads.

the wilwood calliper weighs 1kg compared to the 4kg sierra calliper so 3kg lost

but the solid 257mm disc was 1kg heavier than the 240mm sierra vented disc

so overall it was a 2kg weight saving per corner which isnt bad. to my surprise the car is positively more nimble on the front end which shocked me as i though it would take a lot better driver to notice the difference.

the difference in breaking performance is like day and night. pedal feel is a million times better than the sierra callipers and the progressiveness of the bite and feel before lockup is a million times better.

the only issue i have had with the setup is that the mintex 1144 pads squeal like a pig (what i mean is really horribly loud watch video below of me on track to see). other people have had this issue too. i have managed to work out that people with cortina front hubs dont seem to have the problem where as people with sierra hubs seem to suffer quite badly.

have just ordered some yellow sutff pads which i have on good advice will cure the problem. fingers crossed

vid of the squeal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLK_Tw62u4k

fitting yellow stuff pads tomorrow so will feedback next week sometime.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

20vturbogaz

posted on 16/7/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
yeah finger crossed indeed as its not a very nice sound.

powerlites with 257mm discs sound good.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.