Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know about aquariums? Green water!!!
fha772

posted on 24/7/10 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know about aquariums? Green water!!!

Hi all,

Does anyone on here know much about coldwater aquariums?

The water in ours keeps going green, after about 4-6 days. I've been told it's because of algea, but how do I get rid of it?
Is there an additive that will sort it?

[Edited on 24/7/10 by fha772]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

Jon Ison

posted on 24/7/10 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
How big is the tank, do you have a filter/pump set up ?

nitram38

posted on 24/7/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
If its in direct daylight it will keep doing it.
Use a UV light source to kill the algae. You can buy them on ebay. Water is pumped close to a lamp in a box

big-vee-twin

posted on 24/7/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ultra violet light but you will also need a filter with it the UV kills the algae filter removes it from the water.

You can get a chemical to help you clear it too, but it will only stay clear if out of sun and you have UV.

One other thing doesn't help which is food containing Algae, I used some for my cat fish recently and it has messed up the whole tank - never again!

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

jlparsons

posted on 24/7/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
A generous squirt of toilet duck will sort that right out.

(Disclaimer: That was a joke. Toilet duck will kill all your fish and is of course exclusively for use as a toilet disinfectant and a budget tequila)

[Edited on 24/7/10 by jlparsons]

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

jlparsons

posted on 24/7/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
But seriously... fine wool and carbon in your filter may help a bit, you can also get stuff you can put in your filter which will soak up the nitrates in the tank that plant matter like algae need to live.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 24/7/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
As already said:

Direct sunlight will do it, use UV as it makes algae clump together so the filters can handle it easier.

Also keep the water moving, use a bubble filter and/or recycling pump. Algae prefers still water to grow.

I used to keep fish years ago, and once I got it right, I only ever had to clean it arond once every 3 months.

Also get yourself a Plecostomus 'Plec' for short. They clean the glass on the inside plus they are funny to watch.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Mark G

posted on 24/7/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I had this problem a while ago, turns out I was feeding them too much. I now feed them less often and have added two small plec's. Its only a 40L tank, I haven't cleaned it now in around 3 months and I only change around 4L of water once every 2 weeks.

Good luck.

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/7/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
chopped barley straw (IIRC)
kills of the algae and nicely organic and locost

SteveWalker

posted on 24/7/10 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Also get yourself a Plecostomus 'Plec' for short. They clean the glass on the inside plus they are funny to watch.
HTH

They're even funnier when you've just bought one (a blue eyed plec as it happened), allowed the temperatures to equalise and as you split the bag to get it out, the damned thing jumps out and sticks itself to the windowsill! There I was trying to peel it off with bare hands, while worrying that they have dorsal spines and you're not supposed to use your bare hands!

grusks2

posted on 25/7/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I used to have warm water,

I used a UV light and a sucker fish as i called it, i must of had loads of algae as after a year it was massive.

I also have algae in my hot tub but the wife wont let me put a fish in it.

Im hoping to go and get a marine set up soon if the wife lets me

http://mac1worxbuild.wordpress.com/

forgot my old password so another username doh

fha772

posted on 25/7/10 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help guys, it's give me plently to go at.

So far the toilet duck idea doesn't seem to be wrking though!!
(Joke)

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.