Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mounting headlights on the wing stays
stevegough

posted on 2/8/10 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
mounting headlights on the wing stays

As the title says - that way, when you turn, the lights will light up where you are going! -
any reason why it can't be done?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Steve Lovelock

posted on 2/8/10 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Well it could be done but, as the wheels move up and down so would the lights. Surely that would leave the light beams all over the place? Also, is it not advisable to minimise unsprung weight?
smart51

posted on 2/8/10 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
The vibration wouldn't make your bulbs last for long either. I think there's some IVA rule about which beams can turn with the wheels and which can't too.

Miks15

posted on 2/8/10 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
How about mounting them in the usual place on a pivot, then a connecting rod between it and the wing stay,

Then you wont get the up down movement just the left and right

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/8/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Citreon had that system years ago.

If the IVA had a silly rule like that it would make most unfaired motorcyles illegal.
When we are blatting in the lanes local to me we could do with such a system.
i was thinking of a bearing and a morse cable to bring the transiton movement to the contraption.
self leveling to comply with the hid requirements would be cool as well.

[Edited on 2-8-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

James

posted on 2/8/10 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
It's hard enough to stop wing stays snapping with just 500g of fibreblass on them... couple of kg of light and they've got no hope! So you'll need to massively beef up the wing stay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

stevegough

posted on 2/8/10 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
MMM.... interesting replies so far.....many drawbacks being pointed out, but.....keep 'em coming, guys (and gals!).

Luego Locost C20XE.

daviep

posted on 2/8/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lovelock
Well it could be done but, as the wheels move up and down so would the lights. Surely that would leave the light beams all over the place? Also, is it not advisable to minimise unsprung weight?

I would have thought it was the other way round, surely the wheels don't actually move up and down unless you have really big bouncy tires, it's the body which moves on the suspension but looks like the wheels are moving as we are moving with the body?

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

smart51

posted on 2/8/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
surely the wheels don't actually move up and down unless you have really big bouncy tires, it's the body which moves on the suspension but looks like the wheels are moving as we are moving with the body?

No, you've got it the wrong way round. Roads are anything but smooth, even if they look OK. The wheels move up and down a lot over the ripples and ridges in an otherwise good surface. The movement of the suspension tries to keep the body relatively still , floating at an average height above the road.

[Edited on 2-8-2010 by smart51]

prawnabie

posted on 2/8/10 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
If the IVA had a silly rule like that it would make most unfaired motorcyles illegal.

I thought motorbikes took a MSVA or similar test?

[Edited on 2/8/10 by prawnabie]

JF

posted on 2/8/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep

I would have thought it was the other way round, surely the wheels don't actually move up and down unless you have really big bouncy tires, it's the body which moves on the suspension but looks like the wheels are moving as we are moving with the body?

Davie

If that was the case, then why would you use suspension all together? If the wheels wouldn't bounce then hard mounting them would be perfect. The only situation in wich they kinda do that as far as I know are karts. Wich run on really smooth tracks. And I believe even them have some suspension due to chassis twist.

Anyway I do like the idea of headlights turning with the wheels. Some modern cars use so called cornerlights. Foglights that go on when you turn to illuminate the corner. And I know there are trikes (the classic beetle type) that use linkages to turn their (extra) lights with the steering.

Personally I'd like to try integrating daytime running lights into the front edges of the wings. Using led's like new audi's etc.

Using some sort of linkage to turn the lights sounds interesting too. But not sure I'd use a 1:1 linkage. I have a gut feeling it would work better if the lights don't turn as sharp as the wheels.

And I wonder what mister IVA has to say about such ideas.

stevegough

posted on 2/8/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the interesting discussion, guys - but as I'm a coward, I'm still going to mount them in the standard location even though I like to be different (don't we all?)

I think the examiner will find enough flaws in my build (let alone the car's!!) without me manufacturing some extra ones in!!!

Cheers, Steve.

Luego Locost C20XE.

stevegough

posted on 4/8/10 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Oops! Page 166 of the IVA (may'09 update)......

3. All lamps and reflectors fitted to the vehicle must be fixed and not move by swivelling, deflecting or otherwise while the vehicle is in motion, except for:

any lamp or reflector which by design can be deflected to the side with the movement of the front wheel or wheels of the vehicle when turned for the purpose of steering the vehicle

a headlamp for adjustment or dipping of the beam.

Guess this means the government have cast their vote on this one!!!

Luego Locost C20XE.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.