Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: XE redtop, replace or rebuild - cheapest and fastest
Steve Lovelock

posted on 4/8/10 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
XE redtop, replace or rebuild - cheapest and fastest

I have an XE engine in my Luego that I bought for £150 off ebay. It has worked well for the last four years but is showing signs of age now, particularly since I took up sprinting this year. Upon watching a video of me driving the car at a sprint I was horrified to see how much smoke was coming out of the car. The engine has never burnt oil but has always been a bit smoky on start up and is a bit ‘chattery’ on tick over. However, as I am planning to do more sprints in the coming months I am a little worried about the engine. I had always thought that I could just go and buy another £150 engine from ebay and use that if the current one expired but I have noticed that the price of engines seems to be getting higher. Also, I am bound to be getting similarly old engines for that price. However, the thought of an engine rebuild horrifies me. I have no engine specific tools and my one past rebuild (a long time ago and on a MG A type engine) was a total disaster. Naturally I am looking for the best solution for the cheapest price. Additionally I want the solution that takes the least time to complete as I am keen on working on the new project rather than the old one which I just want to drive. Any ideas on a good route forward?
chrsgrain

posted on 4/8/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
What I would do is get any old cheap engine off Ebay, rebuild it in slow time, and then bung it in the car either when its finished, or just leave it stored until the older one blows up....

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/8/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I'm rebuilding a xe at the moment. It's not particularly difficult and have all the necessary tools. Only special tool is the valve spring compressor I got off eBay.
Plus I'm not a million miles away from you if you wanted any help etc.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

loggyboy

posted on 4/8/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
My XE came from a donor car I paid £200 for, then sold the remaining bit for more making it less than free. I then sold the engine a few months back for nearly £300.

Ive seen 2nd hand prices of enginges alone for anthing from £200 to £350 over the last 7 years, so I would suggest you got a bargain first time arround, and prices havent gone up that much.

Tappets on start up is pretty much par for XEs, and its not loosing lots oil, and smoking just a little it may be wise to just do a head gasket and see how that fares.

Its also worth noting that on heavy cornering, the XE can often suck in its own oil, there are a couple of home brewed mods to the rockercover/breather to cure this, check out migweb.co.uk and pngclub.com for guides on it.

[Edited on 4/8/10 by loggyboy]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/8/10 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just doing the head gasket is unlikely to make much difference. Check compression before doing anything. Then possibly only needs valve oil seals changing or could be piston rings. They can also leak oil into the spark plug holes due to gasket on cam cover. All pretty simple things to do.

If the rings do need doing you might aswell do everything else while your there.

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Angel Acevedo

posted on 4/8/10 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lovelock
....... I was horrified to see how much smoke was coming out of the car. ....

May be a supid question by now, but white smoke, grey or black?

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Lovelock

posted on 4/8/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have done the head mod.

The smoke is blue and only on heavy acceleration. This makes me think it is worn rings / bores. Which I guess means the whole lot needs a look at.

Is that oil additive that Quentin off 5th gear recommends worth a shot?

cliftyhanger

posted on 5/8/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I really don't think any additive is worth a shot.......

A simple re-bore and new set of pistons if bores bad, or maybe just a hone and new rings may be all thats needed. Maybe chuck in a new set of bearings and headset while its apart, but there really can't be anything too expensive about that, or have I missed something??

Steve Lovelock

posted on 5/8/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Well, maybe not but how much will this lot cost:

Pistons
Rings
Re-bore
Bearings
Head gasket

Oil / filter / gesket set etc.

I'm surely not going to get any change from £6 / 700. I realise that I'd get a lot of engine for that money but it's a heck of a wedge. Or I am I wrong on the costs?

rusty nuts

posted on 5/8/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth checking the price of a decent reconditioned engine, it could be cheaper than rebuilding yours?
Ben_Copeland

posted on 7/8/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Price list that i put together, infact with careful choice off a guy on ebay who sells decent bits i've managed to get it a bit cheaper....

Head Set £43.18
Bottom Set £30.79
Head Bolts £13.40
Timing Belt Kit £69.15
Piston Rings £56.40
Oil Filter £2.06
Water Pump £28.32
Main Bearings £37.60
Bigend Bearings £17.58
Crankshaft Pulley Bolts £7.59
Oil Pump £73.41

£379.47
Obviously you might not need to change some bits... but i'd say thats not a bad price for an engine you know is going to be ok...

Better than buying about £200/250 engine with uncertain history...

plus you wont need to buy new pistons if you have a rebore cos you can buy plus size rings !!!!

[Edited on 7/8/10 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

rusty nuts

posted on 7/8/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland

plus you wont need to buy new pistons if you have a rebore cos you can buy plus size rings !!!!

[Edited on 7/8/10 by Ben_Copeland]

If you have a rebore you WILL need over size pistons unless you want loads of piston slap!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.