Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 888 tyre life time for soft and medium compounds?
Steve Lovelock

posted on 4/9/10 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
888 tyre life time for soft and medium compounds?

Hello,

I have a set of 15" alloys on my Luego which is shod with rock hard Uniroyle tyres. Now I have started sprinting my car I want to get a set of 888 tyres. I am undecided on what to do and so would appreciate your advice. I know that the 15" come in three compounds and I understand that the mediums will generally last a few thousand miles. This would mean that I could just fit them and use them on the car all year round. However, I am tempted to buy a set of cheap alloys second hand and fitting the softest compound tyres and using then just for sprint events. Also, I am doing about 2000 miles a year, could I fit the middle compound on my existing wheels and get away with that? Your views please?

phoenix70

posted on 4/9/10 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
I would think you'd be better with another set of wheels for your sprinting, the tyres will wear out a lot quicker on the sprint tracks as you will be pushing the limits
Wadders

posted on 4/9/10 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Reckon you would be better with a set of 13" wheels for sprinting, with the softest tyres allowed, get some heat into them quickly.

Al.

ali f27

posted on 4/9/10 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Why r888 look at maxsport rb5 £50 and better i use them spot on and list ib
jeffw

posted on 4/9/10 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Steve

The soft R888 are designed for sprinting but will overheat on a trackday. Not sure how they would cope with road use. If you put the softs on a spare set of rims how would you transport them to the event.

If you are looking for a 1b tyre you can just put on the car and leave it all your round (I think when we spoke you said you drive it all year ?) then the R888 isn't the one. The R888 isn't designed to work at low temps or with very heavy standing water. I've driven mine to Germany and back and the only issue I had was aquaplanning on a very very wet motorway but they need decent temps to work at all.

Have you thought of Yokohama A021R which maybe more suited to your use of the car. Certainly coming down from 15" to 13" would help the handling and I would think the 021R might heat up quicker on a sprint course than the Medium R888 I have. The other options are the Kumho V70, Hankook RS2 or Yokohama 048r.

[Edited on 4/9/10 by jeffw]

madteg

posted on 4/9/10 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I second that i did a trackday at bedford yesturday and overheated tyres it was all over the road, let tyres cool down and was fine for two or three laps they crap again.
DRC INDY 7

posted on 4/9/10 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
What about Toyo r1r they are cheaper than 888s and the same rubber compound

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

jeffw

posted on 4/9/10 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how good R1Rs would be sprinting....

JimSpencer

posted on 6/9/10 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Start of with a move to 13" rims for track use.

There's a world of difference between 888's in SG and GG compound.

For sprints you would definatly want the SG's.
I would estimate you'll see a couple of hundred miles out of them when used on sprints - or one season.
(I'm on my second set, in a shared car, for Hillclimb & Sprint use this season.)

But

They're currently very hard to get - and it's very near the end of the season, so I would be tempted to wait until next year to be quite honest and get them fresh for the start of next year.

As a road tyre the GG's are ok - but standing water isn't too clever and they really don't like the cold - specifically warned against using them in cold weather on the tyre label!
So I would stick a nice set of high performance road tyres on the current rims for road use.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.