Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oilite
phelpsa

posted on 14/9/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Oilite

I know that some people have used it to good effect in Peugeot rear suspension beams, but what about locost suspension bushes? I know they aren't particularly 'low cost' from simply bearings but....

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/oilite.php

Opinions?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 14/9/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bad bad bad on a live axle, they have no compliance....
phelpsa

posted on 14/9/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Quite aware of that, i'm independent all round

I'm talking for conventional wishbone suspension as an alternative to rosejoints on the inner pivots. Would probably work out cheaper and much better than the standard plastic bushes that most manufacturers supply.

[Edited on 14-9-10 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 14/9/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Further research would show that simply bearings can supply 40 of them (enough to do all the inners), in pretty much the right dimensions (would need slight machining) for £50. Not bad...

andkilde

posted on 14/9/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of thoughts. Your wishbones would need to be perfectly true, the slightest misalignment would lead to binding. Also, the compliance of nylon or urethane would probably make them more impact resistant, thinking potholes, curbs and whatnot -- less likelihood of the bush breaking up or the mount shearing off the frame.

They do look cool though.

t

britishtrident

posted on 14/9/10 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Really not a good idea.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RazMan

posted on 14/9/10 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree with the above comments - even if they did fit they would give a very harsh and noisy ride.
You can't beat olde worlde technology sometimes

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

phelpsa

posted on 14/9/10 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Really not a good idea.

Cheers for the excellent explanation.

The ride wouldn't be any more harsh and noisy than if using rose joints.

Yes you'd have to be very accurate machining the housings and crush tubes to ensure the correct clearance, but that's feasible.

[Edited on 14-9-10 by phelpsa]

iank

posted on 15/9/10 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
The problem is more missalignment between the brackets and wishbone housings - and indeed all the brackets and housings on each wishbone. When welding anything it's going to twist and move slightly. To get accurate enough for solid bushes you'd probably need to get each wishbone and bracket line bored in-situ. In the same way as you have to with cam and crank bearing housings.

Rose joints take out the missalignment by being able to rotate in 3 dimensions, plastic bushes by compliance.

[Edited on 15/9/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

britishtrident

posted on 15/9/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Going back 90 years cars did use bronze bushes in the suspension, every suspension bush had a grease point even if lubricated as recommended every 100 to 200 miles the bushes did last very long. The problems were road dirt ingress and misalignment. Misalignment not only causes wear but "stickion".. As a result the rubber "Metallastic" bush were invented and this was a truly major break through.

Oilite bushes may not need much lubrication but the grease gun lubrication used on the traditional bronze bushes had an important advantage of purging the bearing of road grit.

Some very old single seater racing cars and some road cars (BL Mini and 1960/70s Jags) used needle roller bearings in the suspension but these were used in very rigid suspension components and equipped with proper dust seals and grease gun lubrication.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 15/9/10 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I would question the Oilite bearing's ability to withstand side loads - they are a matrix of bronze particles with gaps in between the particles. The oil settles into these gaps meaning that they don't need regular lubrication. This is ideal for the bearings in electric motors that probably don't see too much regular maintenance.

I know that you have to be careful when fitting shafts to these bearings, making sure that the shaft isn't too tight, otherwise you can squash the bronze particles and cancel out their oil-retaining ability.

As others have said - I think you'll find them too fragile, and prone to wear due to dirt.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.