Poll: Snow Joke - Do I put on snow Tyres [View Results]
Yes - I always put on Snow Tyres
Yes - Some years if I can be bothered
No - Don't see the point
No - I live in Tropical country X and don't need snow tyres
No - I am invincible as I because I have a 4x4 with hairdresser tyres I can command the snow to PART and the road to de-ice and automatically dry as I drive along it. When Every on else is craching around me.....

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Snow Joke - Do I put on snow Tyres
mad4x4

posted on 4/10/10 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Snow Joke - Do I put on snow Tyres

OK the cold mornings got me thinking on the way to work, Do I put snow(Winter) tyres on the front of the tin top (Skoda Fabia) in a month or two?

EDIT :
Damn wish I could edit the poll options into ENGLISH...... Grrr
EDIT :

[Edited on 4/1010/10 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

speedyxjs

posted on 4/10/10 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
We are putting winter tyres on the vans to help cope with the snow and (more important) ice.

[Edited on 4-10-10 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

MikeR

posted on 4/10/10 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I live in England - i don't need snow tyres

(i may live to regret this statement)

Benzine

posted on 4/10/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
My first winter with a RWD daily driver coming up! Snow tyres would give better grip wouldn't they? DO NOT WANT

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad4x4

posted on 4/10/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I live in England - i don't need snow tyres

(i may live to regret this statement)

Didn't see a vote for Tropical Country X....

smart51

posted on 4/10/10 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
What about "No, the UK only tends to have weather cold enough for winter tyres a week or so at a time. I'd have to change my tyres several times a month swapping between winter tyres when the temperature is going to be below 7° and summer tyres when it will get warmer than that. Why can't we have autumn tyres that work below, say, 15°" That would be my preferred option

MikeCapon

posted on 4/10/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need to take off your winter tyres the minute it gets over 7°. On our VW Touran I have run a set all summer which, over here, lasts a good while and temperatures are regularly over 30 and up to 35/38 at times.

Presumably the outright grip is lower, the wear rate will be higher and they are a little noisier but there's no reason why, in my experience, that they cannot be expected to do a UK winter from say, November to March?

Tyres in question are Michelin Alpin.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 4/10/10 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Living in the south of England I really don't see the point myself for the few times a year they would actually offer any real benefit. IMO all season tyres are just that and if driven within their limits work fine.

I got the Passat stuck once in the snow earlier this year and TBH I was mucking about outside my B-I-L's house to amuse the kids.

jossey

posted on 4/10/10 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
my 525d bmw loves winter tyres.

when i didnt have winter tyres i had this happen

i get them for the winter now.

[Edited on 4/10/10 by jossey]

speed8

posted on 4/10/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, we have them for her car and I'll be putting some on my car this year.

The difference is tremendous, especially when there is any snow or slush on the ground.

Ivan

posted on 4/10/10 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I answered option four - have only driven in snow once in my life, in fact only been in snow once in my life - and then the Subaru didn't lack traction.
Mark Allanson

posted on 4/10/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
We rarely get snow, and when we do it is 1/2" deep and lasts for hours, somtimes even as late as lunchtime.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

adithorp

posted on 4/10/10 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Winter tyres are not just about snow. In tests, at <7'c winter tyres stop about 2m shorter than summer tyres. Thats about the width of a Zebra crossing. Temps below 7'c are hardly unusual.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

scootz

posted on 4/10/10 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's an absolute joke that we allow cars to go on the road in the winter with performance tyres still fitted.

Does my nut in when you see a BMW on low-profile run-flats blocking a city-centre road because it can't climb a slight incline with a faint dusting of frost!

And then we get to the big accidents on the open roads...

It's Evolution Baby!

jossey

posted on 4/10/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I think it's an absolute joke that we allow cars to go on the road in the winter with performance tyres still fitted.

Does my nut in when you see a BMW on low-profile run-flats blocking a city-centre road because it can't climb a slight incline with a faint dusting of frost!

And then we get to the big accidents on the open roads...

ermmm that was me last year. and i have learnt the hard way. :O)

it was one day when the ice was soo bad i just slid into a post..

anyway now ive got rid of my 18" run flats on 40's and im off for 55 winter tyres. delivered next week.

hope you liked the picture above.

dave

T66

posted on 4/10/10 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I was in Sweden, it took me a while to work out what the noise was coming from the cars as they drove past. I was there in February.

It was the sound of their studded tyres on the tarmac road.

We are more wet climate here, so snow sometimes causes problems. Unlike europe which is not as wet as blighty. Its very predictable how the UK comes to a standstill with 5mm of snow.

Dont need studs I have one of these ...

Unstoppable

Mix

posted on 4/10/10 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I run my daily driver, Mondeo TDCI, all year with 'mud and snows' on the fronts - if you've never experienced the difference they offer in the snow you'll be impressed.

Regards Mick

PSpirine

posted on 4/10/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm definitely going to fit some winters onto steels this winter for the Micra.. cotswolds hills + snow + ice with no grit is a pretty demanding commute.

Having said that I haven't got stuck a single time last winter - 165 tyres ftw - once passed a Range Rover Sport that couldn't get up a hill even with 4wd on those on-road super performance tyres!

In Cyprus we used to just have summer tyres on all the time but own a set of chains for the front when going up the snowy mountains in winter - I think chains on a commute might be a bit overkilll though.

ravingfool

posted on 4/10/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
My first winter with a RWD daily driver coming up! Snow tyres would give better grip wouldn't they? DO NOT WANT

:-D

You forced me to go to the effort of signing in just to thank you for the chuckle!

Seconded!

(semi serious ;-) )

Its not the tyres that are the problem, its the people. When the weather is such that I can't sensibly get out of my road, I don't. Obviously improved tyres will allow you to get out when I might not be able to on cut slicks but I guess I'm just walking that day aren't I!

Werner Van Loock

posted on 4/10/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
We have snow tires on the company cars and last winter we had 30cm of snow on the parking, first 3 to enter were with private cars without winter tyres and guess what, the people with company cars and winter tyres had to pull them free. Also on the road a big difference.

My mondeo with traction control, abs and winter tyres = quite comfy in snow

http://www.clubstylus.be

Stott

posted on 4/10/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mix
Hi

I run my daily driver, Mondeo TDCI, all year with 'mud and snows' on the fronts - if you've never experienced the difference they offer in the snow you'll be impressed.

Regards Mick

Or the difference in the rain, damp, cold, slightly tepid, etc etc etc..............

I keep meaning to get some after trying my friends polo with snow tyres on, they are nothing short of epic tbh

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/10/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I am with Mad 4x4 on this matter.

His commute consists of a section of high ground over the A90 and A92. With Scottish councils under pressure budget wise they are rather stingy with the grit.
The main roads get done but smaller roads get left till much later.
Another problem is the grit needs traffic to break up the ice once treated...so there is the problem of refreezing due to lack of movement.

The use of winter tyres should be mandatory up north in winter as the road conditions change so much.

mad4x4

posted on 4/10/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I also fall into the 4x4 category as well but it runs on Muds all the time. Problem is g/f has packed in her job and now her company car goes back so she gets the 4x4 and I'm stuck with the tintop.

morcus

posted on 4/10/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
I said no, I can't see the point but that is only because it was closest to my feelings. I see the point. I Just don't think it would be worth it for the small number of miles I do and I think it might confuse the gearbox.

The biggest problem I had last winter was my car had no grip below around 17 miles an hour because below that speed the gearbox constantly trys to change down which spins the wheels. At 17 miles an hour it would let me have 3rd and it was fine, then I'd catch up with someone doing about 5 Mph and I'd have to stop and wait for them to dissapear so I could set off again.

I've driven in Blizzards and through tallish snow drifts and had no problems bar the gearbox disagreements, If I drove more I might consider winter tyres but the ones on the car to the job well.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

l0rd

posted on 5/10/10 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
I was not bothered with winter tires last year and will never bother.

I used to commute 120 miles a day but since everyone is teriffied of snow, i was the only one on the road.

Driving in snow needs loads of skills.

I am used to drive in snow in Greek winters. -20 degress and 30 inches of snow.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.