Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine swap or new project?
DanP

posted on 1/11/10 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Engine swap or new project?

I've been enjoying the viento since it's been on the road but haven't really taken it on any really long trips due to the lack of windscreen and hood and the small fuel tank. Plus I can rarely get my missus to come in it with me.

I find that the rover has plenty of oomph but not a massive rev range so I've been toying the with the idea of putting an Audi v8 in it which should give 7000rpm and 300bhp, but I sort of feel like even after the effort I won't have the ideal car, my main car is now an m3 so the second car needs be something more special and the new engine would hopefully give silly performance assuming I can find a rwd gearbox to fit it and sort anything else like brakes and diff...

The other possibility is to get a good nick or restoration project 60's mustang, something like a 289ci (4.7) v8 convertible. I've been wanting one for a fair while but know a restoration is a big task or a decent condition one is big money.

Basically I'm itching for a project and know the mustang is a massive undertaking and the engine swap seems like a smaller task but I'm not sure the car will be any more special to me afterwards, at least the mustang could go on decent trips etc.

Anyone have any advice or been in the same position?

Thanks,
Dan

carpmart

posted on 2/11/10 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dan

I've been in almost exactly the same position!

I hankered after a car that I could use more frequently than my Fury. The Fury had only a small aero screen and whilst it was quick enough (pinto turbo) it wasn't a cruiser. I sold the Fury and got loverly TVR 3000M 1975 vintage which gave me the roof and a very capable V6 in a light car so it was still reasonably quick.

I afraid that the reality is, I didn't use it any more than the Fury as my free time is the same. I drove it to work a couple of times but it was hard work to drive compared to my 5 series so it became the weekend car again and frankly, as just the weekend car, I hankered for more performance and wind in the hair motoring.

I've now swapped the TVR for a Raw Striker ZX12R powered, and guess what, it will get used just as much (or little) as the Fury and TVR did!

BTW, this has all taken place in the last 5 months!

Not sure this helps, except to demonstrate that the grass isn't always greener!

[Edited on 2/11/10 by carpmart]

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

franky

posted on 2/11/10 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
also the big old mustangs aren't very quick, they sound nice though
cliftyhanger

posted on 2/11/10 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
And resto projects ALWAYS cost more in the end than a good example in the first place
wilkingj

posted on 2/11/10 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Stick with the Viento.
Change the Engine
Put on a Screen
Make a bikini roof like Piddy's. See this thread:-
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=92042

Reasoning:

1. You know exactly the state and condition of the Viento. Buying something else is an unknown quantity, especially a restoration job.
2. You wont use it any more than the Viento, as agreed by above postings, and I agree with them as well. (7k miles in 4 years for my Viento)

3. If you do a decent engine job, fit a screen, with wind deflectors, and a roof. You will get the best of both worlds, and with a known quantity car.

I am at the same stage as you. I even have a windscreen in the garage just not fitted it (Left off for SVA 4 years ago!)
I wear bike helmet and jacket, as you just can't drive it comfortably or safely without.
I am also fed up of getting very wet going to rallies etc.

I get 100 miles to a tank (small Luego job - 6 gallon) or I fill up at 100 miles. I think it will do a bit more, but dont risk it.
Basically I get 26mpg on a run to a rally, ie motorway or A road at 70mph. Round town its a lot less, especially with heavy right foot.
100 mile radius is more than enough for most journeys, ie only need to fill up once on a 100 mile radious journey. Put a slimline 1 gallon can in the boot, as a reserve if necessary.

Think long and hard before giving up your beloved Viento. Keep it, and you have a car that is in good condition, and you know exactly how well it has been put together.
Its a bigger head turned than any muscle car. Also you can say with real pride... I MADE that car, not Henry Ford!

Just my 2d worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 2/11/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Why not fit a revvy bmwengine, m3 300+bhp, they'll rev to 8000 rpm while still being able to cruise and can be picked up complete for less than a set of throttle bodies cost fitted.
wilkingj

posted on 2/11/10 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt think about a BMW M3... Well Its a OOHHH Ahhh Yessss from me on that. unless you really MUST have that V8 burble.
However a straight 6 with the right exhaust box comes a close second.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 3/11/10 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't mind a turbo, there are even more options. These would be lighter than the BMW stuff I would think, and a Nissan CA18DET or SR20DET could easily do 200 HP, more likely 250, with the greatest of ease, and not much money thrown at it. I've gone the CA18DET route myself. I can let you know all about it if you want to u2u me.

The Audi's are great, admittedly, but big and heavy. And expensive.

[Edited on 3/11/10 by RK]

DanP

posted on 3/11/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, it's interesting what you say about not using it any less than any other second car, you are probably right there I guess.

I guess I'm just a bit sick of having to mess about with bits not fitting together properly, I did try making a screen and got as far as almost fitting it but then the grass cracked because of some tack welding shrinkage. At least the mustang parts can all be bought off the shelf even if they would need a bit of fettling.

I might start the Audi project and just start collecting the bits and work out the gearbox issue, then I can work out if it's feasible without touching the car yet.

I like the Audi over other engines cos it's pretty light revvy small and powerful, but if it turns out that the gearbox issue is insurmountable then I might have to look else where and BMW engines would prob be high on the list even if I would have an exhaust shaped hole to fill on one side!

But then the mustang is beautiful and most parts can be bought and time/cash balance is a bit different now to when I started the kit car as a student.

Ahhh!

Thanks for the advice tho!

Steve Lovelock

posted on 12/11/10 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Why not try taking your car to a sprint or hillclimb event?

I don't use mine much, just like the sports bikes before it, they are toys after all. But sprinting the Luego has been brilliant, try it and see.

Steve

DanP

posted on 26/3/11 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well I decided what to do.. discovered a while back that even though I thought I had measured it that the Audi engine was too wide for even the viento engine bay.

So a few weeks ago I bought a 67 convertible, i'm going to keep the viento in storage for a while until I get the mustang phase over with then come back to the viento at Xmas and start to think seriously about a small block chevy.

I'm picking the mustang up in a fortnight when its had a few birs of rust removed and some 3-point seatbelts fitted, and can't wait! Will post some pics when I get it.

Miks15

posted on 26/3/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
make sure you get some pics up when you have it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.