Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycling in Snow...
scootz

posted on 3/12/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cycling in Snow...

Good grief... how stupid are some folk!? Was taking Mrs Scootz to work this morning. Minus 5 degrees, dark, snowing and 2 inches of it on the A199 and several feet of it at the sides of the carriage-way. What do I see coming the other way... ??? A cyclist!

He had that 'look at me - how wacky am I' look on his face!

And whilst I'm ranting... what about those who cycle through the city with one of those 'baby-trailers' on the rear. You know, those little enclosed tents with wheels that kids sit in. Just call me old fashioned, but are kids not something we should try and protect (particularly our own!). Personally, I wouldn't trust dozy commuters to notice that my bicycle is articulated and not squash my kid!

[Edited on 3/12/10 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

SeanStone

posted on 3/12/10 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
survival of the fittest...
l0rd

posted on 3/12/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I hate cyclists.

Specially the ones that do it for the environment. They slow down so many cars that when overtaking the CO2 produced would be a lot more if they were actually driving a car at work.

In Greece, there is a rule that says a vehicle can go on a road only if the speed limit can be matched by the vehicle.

I would like to see a cyclist doing 60Mph.

scootz

posted on 3/12/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I don't care how fit he was... if a snow plough or lorry came up behind him and didn't see him (entirely possible in the conditions described) then he was getting burst!

It's Evolution Baby!

matt_gsxr

posted on 3/12/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
why don't all the people use their government issued cars.

Oh yes, perhaps they don't have one.

Live and let live, I say.

Matt

Simon

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I actually enjoy enjoy cycling and indeed, even last night I and two others went our for a ride in the snow - primarily in fields and up footpaths but we had to use the road as well - kind of useful as they link the paths together.

I don't ride for the "environment", I do it to get fitter and cos I really enjoy it and I have lights and reflective clothing.

Here's a not particularly flattering pic of me at Bedgebury Forest in the snow at the beginining of the year. 'scuse the pose, I had to lean back as my gut was losing the fight with gravity

Rather than criticise, I'd recommend you try it (but if you're going out in these conditions, do try and wear appropriate clothing).

Forgot to mention, while we were out, and waiting at some traffic lights, we hear a noisy pipe (blown exhaust) and a lot of thrashing only to see a twat in a Clio, with friends hanging out the window, trying to slide his car around the bends (and failing!)

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 3/12/10 by Simon]

tomgregory2000

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I was cycling in the snow yesterday and it was fecking great fun, i also enjoy cycling and it saves me a fortune in diesel each week but i did drive the defender today

try it you will like it

scootz

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have no problem with cycling, or cyclists in general, but there is a time and a place!

The A199, as described, during commuter hour is NOT the place to be doing it!

It's Evolution Baby!

snippy

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I cycle to work to keep fit and my commute racks up 100 miles per week. I wear reflective jackets, have a reflective rucksack with flashing lights on it, 2 seperate red flashing lights on the rear, 2 seperate white flashing lights on the front and I do wear a helmet too. I have a road bike so at the minute it`s too icy for my thin smooth tyres. There`s no reason you shouldn`t cycle in the snow if you have the right bike and kit. I haven`t so I`m not risking it!
adithorp

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
He's the one with the right to be there.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

scootz

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
That's all well and good, but you're working on the assumption that other motorists will notice these things and that they too will drive accordingly in such weather.

They don't! Many are bleary eyed, only looking out for car sized (and larger) objects, whilst peering through the 6 inch square they cleared on their windscreen and texting their mate with a weather update!

Cyclists are a soft target at the best of times... they are sitting ducks in the conditions I described.

I appreciate cycling is essential and enjoyable for some - it's not so essential and enjoyable though that it's worth increasing the odds dramatically of becoming a statistic!

It's Evolution Baby!

Simon

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I agree about the soft bit and I don't know about where you live (particularly the A199), but we have had almost no traffic in the evenings recently - like last night, I reckon we were on the roads for 1/2 hour and saw probably two cars, the twat mentioned earlier, and another, who was in my way, holding us up

ATB

Simon

l0rd

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Wednesday night i was coming back at home after a long day at work. It was 10.30 and the roads were still quite busy. I had loads of cars coming the other way and i was dazzled by their lights.

And there it was a cyclist only with a dim read light on the back, no reflective clothing doing 10mph when everyone else was doing 50. I was lucky enough to spot his small dim red light about 1/4 mile before as for a second i didn't have any cars coming up towards me and i slowed down doing 10mph up to the point i could overake.

I would too cycle at work to increase my fitness but only if there was a cyclist lane. I am not going out on the road just like that.

Btw, on my way back today, a lorry on the oposite lane nearly gave me a heart attack as the driver decided to overtake a cyclist and crossed the double line just 100ft away from me.

mad4x4

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

But does he...... He doesn't pay road tax , more than likely doesn't have insurance.......

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Simon

posted on 3/12/10 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
But does he...... He doesn't pay road tax , more than likely doesn't have insurance.......

Er, what on a bicycle. I haven't paid for road tax or insurance either. If you want me to pay road tax, I'll ride on the pavement

ATB

Simon

adithorp

posted on 3/12/10 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
quote:

Yes, he has a "right " to use the road, as do pedestrians and horse riders. Cars and there drivers do not have that "right" and have to be licenced to use it. So he does not require "road fund licence" although in reality he probably does pay it on the car he isn't clogging the road with... just to play devils advocate.

By the way, poor lights on bikes winds me up. There's no excuse given the price and quality of the lights available.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Ninehigh

posted on 4/12/10 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes, he has a "right " to use the road, as do pedestrians and horse riders.

We're not arguing that, we're arguing that it's daft to be at the side of the road where the stupid, sleepless and blind can run him over in half a ton plus of metal. Go walking down there and find out.

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 4/12/10 at 04:03 AM Reply With Quote
I bike to work.

Rest assured, when everything else on the road can kill you, you tend to pay attention...something most drivers don't do.

I know this because I have been driven into a few times now - Lights, Hi-Vis and correct signalling all go amiss when the driver says 'I didn't see you'. That is assuming they stop.

The other thing drivers have a habit of is overtaking you at traffic lights, at junctions, at turnings, pretty much the exact places that offer up the worst possible place to perform such a manouver. Infact only the other day, as I was on my way to work, a driving instructor overtook me on an iced up corner going through some roadworks. He almost hit the car coming the other way, and then almost slid into the kerb upon turning into a junction. Staying behind me would have cost him about 5 seconds.

As for road tax, since my vehicle produces next to no CO2/km, I could therefore get a tax disc FOC

As Simon says, unless you have actually done a decent amount of on road cycling, you cannot comment on this topic with any validity.

Ninehigh

posted on 4/12/10 at 04:27 AM Reply With Quote
Well I've been on powered ones, and yes the high-vis coat and permanent lights on make no difference.
There's no way I'd cycle on the roads round here (well not fast ones anyway) even if I was fit enough

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 4/12/10 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Well I've been on powered ones, and yes the high-vis coat and permanent lights on make no difference.

Yes, but powered ones make lots of noise, have car equivalent powered lights, and can do >180mph.

You will seldom ever get overtaken by a car on a Motorbike.

All in all, you still have no accurate frame of reference, just a self perceived one

Paul TigerB6

posted on 4/12/10 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I don't care how fit he was... if a snow plough or lorry came up behind him and didn't see him (entirely possible in the conditions described) then he was getting burst!

You mean any driver who is going too fast to be able to see for the conditions and so is actually driving without due care and attention!!!!

Bloody typical "I own a car and cyclists shouldn't ever be on the road" attitude that really pisses me off!!!

scootz

posted on 4/12/10 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Missed my point completely Paul.

I'm not for a second suggesting that it's OK for people to drive that way... I'm just stating that THIS IS the way that many people drive! Welcome to the real-world!

Listen. If you want to ride a bicycle on a busy 60mph commuter road, at commuter time, when it's dark, in minus 5 snowy conditions, with a good covering of snow on the carriageway, just because you SHOULD be able to, then by all means crack-on mate! Just don't expect a great deal of sympathy from me when it all comes unstuck... which it will... eventually!

Just because you SHOULD be able to leave your entire life-savings in a bag on your own doorstep, doesn't make it a good idea!

Just because a completely inebriated young lady SHOULD be able to walk through an unlit park by herself in whatever state of undress she chooses, doesn't make it a good idea.

etc. etc. etc.

It's Evolution Baby!

prawnabie

posted on 4/12/10 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Its a fact that most driver go into autopilot when driving routes they are familiar with thats not going to change. I ride a motor and a push bike quite often and when I do so I ride under the impression its up to me to make myself seen, not up to the driver of the car/lorry etc to see me. If I cant make myself seen then I get the f**k out of the way.

Too many accidents are caused by cyclist that assume they have the same road presence as cars etc just because they have the right to be on the road.

prawnabie

posted on 4/12/10 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Its a fact that most driver go into autopilot when driving routes they are familiar with thats not going to change. I ride a motor and a push bike quite often and when I do so I ride under the impression its up to me to make myself seen, not up to the driver of the car/lorry etc to see me. If I cant make myself seen then I get the f**k out of the way.

Too many accidents are caused by cyclist that assume they have the same road presence as cars etc just because they have the right to be on the road.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 4/12/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

Listen. If you want to ride a bicycle on a busy 60mph commuter road, at commuter time, when it's dark, in minus 5 snowy conditions, with a good covering of snow on the carriageway, just because you SHOULD be able to, then by all means crack-on mate! Just don't expect a great deal of sympathy from me when it all comes unstuck... which it will... eventually!

So the road in those conditions is still a 60mph commuter road then is it?? If the road actually did have a good covering of snow like you say then frankly i'd have thought it would be a 5mph commuter road and the bike would have been overtaking the cars!!

Just because its a pedal bike doesnt mean it cant be seen. I've actually had a driver complain about my lights because it was "too bright" after i forgot to turn it down after being offroad - not all bike lights are £9.99 from Argos you know!! My front light was around the £400 mark and is more effective than many car headlights i've seen!! My clothing is also very reflective and has led markers on the sleeves. My rear led lights on flash mode is also seriously noticeable from both rear and sides!!

I feel perfectly visible at night myself, and with high intensity lights rather than the lower intensity larger lights that cars generally have then i'd suggest i'd be more visible in certain conditions - and any driver who cant see me shouldn't be driving!!!

If ANY road user cant make themselves visible to others then they shouldnt be there - but thats not limited to cyclists!!!!!! I hate cyclists who ride at night with no lights / dark clothing etc - but thats no excuse to label all cyclists the same which is what your generalisation has done!!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.