Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: help me choose a camera and lenses please
mads

posted on 4/12/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
help me choose a camera and lenses please

hey all,
I have seen and read through similar posts as this one on here already but as my budget is slightly different, I was hoping there may be some different recommendations. I am new to photography but hope to be taking it up in the new year and want to get myself a decent SLR camera before the tax rise. Here are a few more details:

Budget: £500 - £800 (hopefully include a lens or two and tripod in that price, as well as carry case etc). May be able to increase to £1,000 but would rather not.

Types of photos: panoramic but probably more portrait ones. Will also use it for sports and racing so need one with good shutter speed (?)

Quality: best I can afford. I've got Adobe Photoshop so want to make full use of it

A viewfinder is preferred and I'm not too fussed about the size of the LCD screen on the back because I can see them better once plugged into my Mac

Functions: not too fussed about fancy stuff like sepia, b&w, accent etc as can do all of that with photoshop. Would like to have features that I might start using later on. I want a camera that can do auto photos now but something I can grow into over the next couple of years.

someone has said that I should spend more on lenses than on the body as i will outgrow the body quicker and the lenses can be used on other cameras. is this true? and what are peoples thoughts on the Canon 550D ?

Thanks all

[Edited on 4/12/10 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

austin man

posted on 4/12/10 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a second hand sony a200 alpha up and have since bought 2 lenses and can say that I'm more than impreessed with the camera just have to learn how to get the best from it. (He camera is not the key to good photos its the understanding of how to use it. - -f you are going to do motorsports you need a good frame rate I only get 3.5 fps the other thing are a decent lens telephoto and at minimum a tripod / monopod. The Nikon and Cannons are good cameras I would deffinnitely consider a second hand one

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

andkilde

posted on 4/12/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit of a camera snob, used to do it for a living, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

All the name brand stuff is decent, Nikon/Canon/Pentax what have you. Ask around among your friends, if your mates all run one brand I'd lean that way, it's nice to be able to share lenses and accessories even if just to try before you buy.

Canon/Nikon have the advantage of many more lenses available used, Pentax has the shake reduction nonsense built into the camera rather than the lenses if you feel you need it.

The 18-55 or so "kit" lenses are fine for snapshots, fairly useless for anything serious. Get yourself a 50 f1.8 (or similar) for portraits and low light stuff, then a decent wide angle 14 f2.8 (or similar), 80-200 f2.8 is a good range for a telephoto. Add a "proper" Macro lens to the mix at some point. Pop for a decent dedicated flash or two and a second body next.

The inexpensive lenses tend to have goofy variable apertures, 3.5 - 5.6 (or whatnot), are generally made of plastic, have crappy glass and are generally just a complete waste to of time and money.

Despite all the marketing that tells you bigger is better, you won't find much use for anything bigger than 6-10 megapixels or so, which is plenty to make a decent print for the wall or sell to the rags if that's your cup of tea. If the camera store numpty says different, give him the two finger salute and move on to the next shop.

FWIW, it's worth shopping for stuff at a "proper" camera shop (even if it costs a few extra pounds) with knowledgeable staff -- buying from some spotty faced moron who knows more about car stereos and washing machines than cameras is no way to go through life son

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skodaman

posted on 4/12/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Nikon because unlike the others they didn't change the lens mount so you can use the old 35mm lenses on digi-cameras. They also have better lens quality than most. Check out a site called "Photobyte' they're very helpful and will answer any questions you've got.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skodaman

posted on 4/12/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Nikon because unlike the others they didn't change the lens mount so you can use the old 35mm lenses on digi-cameras. They also have better lens quality than most. Check out a site called "Photobyte' they're very helpful and will answer any questions you've got.

Skodaman

tegwin

posted on 4/12/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself a used Canon Eos400D body from one of the camera type forums... then spend the rest of the money on some decent stabalised lenses..... My 400D has taken some serious abuse and some fantastic images...Still going strong... its more the quality of the glass on the front that will make your shots better...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Liam

posted on 4/12/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Olympus fanboy here . Get yourself an E-620 twin lens kit for starters. Oly kit lenses better than most and fine for getting into the hobby. Then save up for some better glass - Oly has some of the best available.
macspeedy

posted on 4/12/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Nikon d90 here, great menus easy to use and fun if you like tweaking.. and custom setups.. does video but there are other nikons since the launch of the d90 that maybe worth looking at. Get the 18-200 lens kit if you can. Kenrockwells site is very informative !
Moorron

posted on 4/12/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I was new to DSLR's last year and bought a Sony Alpha 230 (newer version of the 200 mentioned above). Why? it was the cheapest kit i could find but also had the noob factor built in as it shows on screen what all the setting do to the photo as you change them, it also has the same lens fitting of the old minolta lenses so u can find many old lenses cheap second hand.

I bought a kit (body and lens) + large carry bag, 2 filters and a cheap tripod for £450 i think. I then bought a new zoom lens to get me upclose to distant objects which helps.

All from Jessops and all great kit, but only downside to this camera is no wired remote shutter available so taking night time star photos are hard. Shame.

Im impressed with the kit for the price i paid, but there are better on the market if you can afford the extra £'s

EDIT, just looked and now it looks like sony have updated them all over again!

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77764/show.html

BUT i strongly recomend you pop into a shop first and hold each camera, some might look good but wont fit your hands!

[Edited on 4/12/10 by Moorron]

[Edited on 4/12/10 by Moorron]

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

IanBrace
Builder

Posts 159
Registered 21/5/09
Location Lincoln

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Re-built 1986 O and C Sport and sold it! Now a K s

posted on 4/12/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
You mentioned the 550D.... if you're leaning that way, do it you won't regret it. I've used Canon professionally for the last 15 years and have had the occasional play with various high-end Nikons... even when I could use a free top of the range Nikon I prefered to use my own Canons.. I suppose it comes down to personal preference. Go to a camera shop and handle as many as you can and see which feels right in the hand. Canons focus and zoom one way and Nikon the opposite for example, Olympus and pentax are both quite small, so if you have small hands you may prefer these.
As others have said it's probably best to spend less on a body and more on good glass.

Check out some of my personal Canon pics: www.ianbracegirdle.com (sorry blatant plug!)

If you any help give me a shout I'll talk photography all day!

www.aerialphotography.org.uk

skodaman

posted on 4/12/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
'As others have said it's probably best to spend less on a body and more on good glass.' Yes the lens is the important bit not the camera body and you're better going for original Nikon lenses for a Nikon, Canon for a Canon etc. than using aftermarket lenses such as Sigma. Then again there's nothing wrong with the aftermarket stuff unless you're going tmake massive prints or perhaps sell to magazines etc. I've even had pictures published taken on a 40 year old Pentax with a Russian Zenith lens.

Skodaman

franky

posted on 4/12/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Its got to be a sony, a380 or if you can get one go for a a350. £ for £ you get a better spec and better results than anything else. Also you've got a huge choice of glass to choose from as 99% of the minolta range fits too.

All the above is helped by the fact the camera has the Image Stabilization in the camera body.

We use Sony cameras at work, they're £200k+ with a basic lens, the rest just don't compare. Obviously there not still's cameras but it shows just how much effort Sony put into their current range.

I've got an A350 and i've not seen a DSLR under £1500 to compare.

snapper

posted on 5/12/10 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
Most of the advise is good, I prefer Nikon but have used Cannon.
As for lenses the current batch of Nikon short zoom 2.8's are very good.
For a prime portrait lens I would always go for 100 to 135mm, that focal length range is always taught as the optimum.
If the camera chip is not full frame then go for a 100mm

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

geoff shep

posted on 5/12/10 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a Nikon D80 that I will probably get rid of, body only.

But this has just come up in the for sale section:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=147039

gottabedone

posted on 5/12/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
We've all got our favourites - I use a Cannon 450d which is very good but with all things, you get what you pay for. I've had it for a couple of years now but couldn't afford to go further up the range.
Consider what type of photography you want to get into as this will be affected by the lenses tha you buy/need and some of the features of the camera (continuous shooting/ frames per second, remote control, use of menu's etc)

What Ted says above isn't necessarily right (IMO of course!) because there is so much info on the net that you can go into a shop with the knowledge of the features that you want and be served by your gran and still have an idea of what you're up to.............and a range of high quality lenses will eat up your whole £800 and more.

See if any mates have a camera that you can borrow for a weekend to play with

oh anf the Nikon/Cannon thing is a bit like the CEC/BEC thing

Steve

andkilde

posted on 6/12/10 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gottabedone

What Ted says above isn't necessarily right (IMO of course!) because there is so much info on the net that you can go into a shop with the knowledge of the features that you want and be served by your gran and still have an idea of what you're up to...

Hey Steve

I'd encourage the OP (and anyone else who'd listen) to find a decent camera shop and form a relationship with the folks there for a few reasons.

1) A small mistake on initial kit purchase will easily swamp the cost difference between the "chain store" and the "camera shop" pricing. ie most "kit" lenses are complete crap and never make it out of the camera back once you've bought a few "proper" ones -- that's as much a £200 that's been "flushed".

2) If you find the right shop, their knowledge is quite valuable, trying to decipher how internet reviews relate to your particular requirements can be pretty challenging.

3) You're more likely to find good used gear at a shop, the guys have my particulars on file and call me when stuff they think will be of use comes in.

4) Selfishly, if everyone buys at the chain stores, all the good little shops I frequent will go bust and I'll be stuck buying from pimple-faced-Malcolm, and that would be tragic .

Cheers, Ted

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 7/12/10 at 03:58 AM Reply With Quote
Research, research, research...

You really need to put the hours into how a camera works, what all the numbers mean and why glass A is better than glass B.

Although once you have chosen a system, you are sort of set with that system.

I too like the Sony Alpha range )Sony bought Minolta) but my wife, whose hobby is Photography, complained that studios were preferably set up for Canon/Nikon.

As such, we now have a Canon 550D. For the money (£600 body only) it is in a league of its own. However, like others have mentioned, Glass is where you need to spend as bodies come and go.

Lens wise, a nifty fifty is a good option - I think someone on here mentioned the f1.8 jobbie which can be had for £80.

From then on it is up to you to invest in the glass that you require.

From the sounds of it, your principle subject matter is similar to mine/wifes.

Lens wise, I have (well, I paid for them, but they are my wifes!) the Canon 18-55 Kit lens, Canon 70-250 zoom, Sigma f2.8 100mm Macro, Sigma f1.4 50mm.

Just need a 10-20mm and a 70-200 telephoto. Would love to get Canon, but i'll go Sigma as you can achieve 90-95% of the L glass quality for 50% of the price.

Enjoy it though - everyday events can be captured with your camera and made extrordinary:

Closer...

Closer....!!

[Edited on 7/12/10 by Rocket_Rabbit]

02GF74

posted on 7/12/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ I've almost had a heart attach from those spidery photos

Have you considered the new fangled 4/3 (four thirds) cameras? Use same sensor as the non full frame DLSR but are more compact as they do not have the mirror mechanism.

These cameras are like scale models of the DSLR so check you are comfortable holding one - most feel awkward in my big manly paws apart from the pansonic GF1 which is a different shape ... will be looking to get one of those soonish.

Liam

posted on 7/12/10 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
^^ That'll be Micro Four Thirds. Normal 4/3 is what why Olympus DSLR uses (and Panasonics). Quite cool indeed, but maybe not what mads is looking for.

I'd disagree with andkilde in one respect. Kit lenses aren't complete crap at all, at least in my Olympus experience (which are supposed to be some of the best kit lenses admitedly). I can understand why an ex-pro might have built up that opinion over his career, but as someone who has recently just 'gotten into' photography, as mads is planning to do, I'd say they are perfect for that introductory purpose and can produce some fine results - certainly better than anything from the non-SLR world. I think a body + twin lens kit covering a decent focal length range would be an ideal introduction to all types of DSLR photography - he said he would be interested in both panoramas (needs wide angle) and sports/racing (usually needs tele). Otherwise, on his budget, he can only really consider a second hand body and just one 'proper' lens. My Olympus body + 14-45 and 40-150 kit was ideal for getting into it for me. Have since added a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and a 150mm macro, and only now after a few years am I itching to drop a good £400-600 on a semi-pro level 14-54 or 12-60 to replace the workhorse kit lens with something nicer.

[Edited on 7/12/10 by Liam]

mads

posted on 12/12/10 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
thanks all for the advice. have taken it on board and also spoke to my friend who bought a DSLR a couple of years ago. Think I will be going with a Canon 550D as its had good reviews and I had a play with my friends 400 which was nice and easy to use. Plus, as some of you suggested, I can swap lenses with him - which he is keen on and saves us both money! Will be going to a camera store to make sure it fits well in my hands before I buy it though. As for the lenses, I think the kit lenses will do me fine for now while I learn the features of the body and how the adjustments on settings/lenses work. Once happy with that then invest in some better glass.

Any suggestions on where to buy from? I only know of Jessops... are they usually quite knowledgeable in them or is it hit-and-miss? Had a look on their website and got some offers on the 550.

Canon 550d Starter Bundle: includes 18-55mm and Tamron 70-300mm lenses, carrybag, 4gb Sandisk Ultra HD card, 58mm & 62mm filters for £809

]Canon 550 Premium Starter Bundle: includes as above but with a 8gb extreme card, Jessops flash for Canon, different bag for £899

What do people think of the above offers? Or should I shop around and buy separately?

[Edited on 12/12/10 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 12/12/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Best place to buy:

http://www.onestop-digital.com

You won't beat them for price/service

Here, have a look at this below:

http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33354

It's the Kiss X4 which is EXACTLY the same as the 550D, except it's called the Kiss X4 and the menus are in only English or Japanese instead of multi European languages.

Memory card:

8gb High Speed SDHC Memory Card 200X Class 10 Duracell on eBay (end time 10-Jan-11 21:00:27 GMT)

Has to be class 10 otherwise you'll struggle with the buffer

Lens:
http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33716

Bag:
Tamrac Velocity 6x Pro Sling Pack on eBay (end time 11-Jan-11 16:00:33 GMT)

I make that out at just under £800 and is superior to the Jessops deals

[Edited on 12/12/10 by Rocket_Rabbit]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.