Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BBC F1 commentator
bigrich

posted on 20/12/10 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
BBC F1 commentator

well it looks like Mr Legard is to be replaced by DC.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/165559/1/legard_exit_and_replacement_to_be_confirmed_by_bbc.html

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

blakep82

posted on 20/12/10 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
about time too they'll MB and DC should make a good team

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RK

posted on 20/12/10 at 03:26 AM Reply With Quote
Brundle might know what he's talking about, but calling track workers here in Montreal "pikeys" a couple of years ago, didn't make him any friends. We don't use that term here. You can have him.
F1mini

posted on 20/12/10 at 03:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Brundle might know what he's talking about, but calling track workers here in Montreal "pikeys" a couple of years ago, didn't make him any friends. We don't use that term here. You can have him.

I'm guessing that was about the Track surface.....

In his defence thats a age old joke in the UK about cheap Home Driveway resurfacing....

I can see how that might be kind of Rude....

Turn off the dam PC and go build something...

britishtrident

posted on 20/12/10 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Before celebrating I would wait for confirmation from an authorative source.

If Legard is replaced it will be by another BBC staff sport commentator, DC is not a commentator he is an expert/pundit.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

speedyxjs

posted on 20/12/10 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Im glad if it is true but im not sure DC is the right replacement. Remember when button commentated on monaco a few year back when they were disqualified from a couple of races? I thought his commentry was a bit boring. Hopefully DC wont be the same.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

britishtrident

posted on 20/12/10 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK

What he should have said was the organiser provided an unsafe sub-standard track surface that they tried to fix on the cheap using cheap jobbing tarmac gangs. ie Pikeys

Being nasty about Brundle dosen't go down well over here.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

designer

posted on 20/12/10 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
David Coulthard is rubbish as an 'expert'. Him and Eddie are a joke, but perfect the BBC's 'don't critiise anybody' world.

As a commentator, Mr Monotone will be rubbish.

Get the blokes from MotoGP, let's have some passion back in F1.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Brundle's Monaco remarks were offensive. There is no place for racism. He should have been more careful.

But we should all be allowed the odd mistake.

whitestu

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

David Coulthard is rubbish as an 'expert'.

+1.

I quite like Brundle - what were the racist remarks he made at Monaco?

loggyboy

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
To be fair, I dont think there has ever been a good 'anchor' when it comes to F1 commentators.

Murray was so awful it was funny, but his enthusiasm made up for any errors (he had a hell of a lot of enthusiasm!!).

When it was on ITV James Allen was just about bareable.

If it was me i'd give Ted Kravitz a go. As stated, DC is too stiff, he isnt and never will be as natural as Martin and I dont think throwing him in the deepend will help, he'd be better of on his own taking Teds role as pit lane stalker, he would get a lot of access being an ex driver and having friends in the right places.

scootz

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
David Coulthard is rubbish as an 'expert'. Him and Eddie are a joke...

Agree entirely that EJ is a joke. I think DC is pretty damn good at his role though!

It's Evolution Baby!

Tipster69

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I can't for 1 second see DC replacing Legard has a Commentator, though I hope to god somebody replaces him. He is the one weak link in the chain. I get fed up on race day of correcting his mistakes, he is total sh*te.

MB for me is the best there is, and you just can't fault his Sunday Grid Walks.

And we should run a sweep stake next season on how many times ANY of the interviewees say "for sure" on TV. It must be the the favourite quote in the paddock.

[Edited on 20/12/10 by Tipster69]

loggyboy

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Brundle's Monaco remarks were offensive. There is no place for racism. He should have been more careful.

Brundles remarks were funny. People need to lighten up! If people concentrated on the things that really damaged their lives rather than comments that are intended as jokes theyd find they'd be much happier in themselves.

If a 'comedian' had made the same remarks no one would have batted an eye lid at a comment like that!

[Edited on 20/12/10 by loggyboy]

greggors84

posted on 20/12/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
They need a commentator to go with the 'expert' not ex drivers, they arnt good enough at getting enthusiastic on the mic.

I always switch over to the 5live commentary when I get to watch a race live, Crofty is a much better commentator than Legard or Allen were, also Ant Davidson is a bit more up to date with his knowledge than Brundle, although you cant really get rid of Brundle because of his grid walks and random comments!

Crofty would be good on BBC1, but not sure they would let him go as he does quite a bit on 5 live, Charlie Cox would be good and he comes from car racing but is great at getting excited and can almost match Murray walker for classic sound bites!

They do need to get rid of Legard though, almost as bad as James Allen was!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

GMPMotorsport

posted on 20/12/10 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Put it this way--- ITV or BBC I know who I would sooner have, DC & MB will be a great pairing IMHO.

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hicost blade

posted on 20/12/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Brundles remarks were funny. People need to lighten up! If people concentrated on the things that really damaged their lives rather than comments that are intended as jokes theyd find they'd be much happier in themselves.

If a 'comedian' had made the same remarks no one would have batted an eye lid at a comment like that!

[Edited on 20/12/10 by loggyboy]

I agree totally, that was a veeeeeery funny joke.

Is Monaco in Canada??

whitestu

posted on 20/12/10 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Is Monaco in Canada??

I think he meant Montreal.

I agree MB's comments were v funny.

loggyboy

posted on 20/12/10 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Silly thing it was even intended as a 'joke' - it was just a sarcy comment, fairly obviously more intended to poke fun at Bernie than the people who carry out the work on the track or are frequently 'associated with laying tarmac'.
martyn_16v

posted on 20/12/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
They do need to get rid of Legard though, almost as bad as James Allen was!

At least JA had a good idea of what he was talking about, and was a bit excitable (even if it felt a bit forced sometimes). Legard just has me dozing off to sleep most of the time, only punctuated by the odd bout of me shouting 'NO. NO HE HASN'T ISN'T YOU F*****G CRETIN!' every time he utterly fails to recognise what order those car thingies happening to be following each other in. The job of a commentator is to add to what I can see with my own eyes, but he fails to even manage to accurately describe what I can already see for myself.

Don't get me wrong, listening to JA also led me to thoughts of violence on a fortnightly basis, but those thoughts weren't a patch on the frankly genocidal mood i'm in after two hours of Legard

I'd love to see Crofty and Ant Davidson doing the telly commentary (or Chandhok if he doesn't get a drive). I like Brundle but recently he seems to be just doing the bare minimum through the actual race, probably sick of being interrupted by the fool he's currently got sat with him.

prawnabie

posted on 20/12/10 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I didnt know pikeys had attained race status yet?

designer

posted on 24/12/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
In all this don't forget.

Martin Brundle is David Coulthards manager, so with 22% of Davids money, he will be laughing all the way to the bank.

CNHSS1

posted on 24/12/10 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
he was and possibly still is, his driver manager but doesnt arrange his business affairs, DCs pretty good at doing that himself.

re the montreal track surface, the comment was light hearted and should have been taken as such. The condition of the track was anything but lighthearted, and imho a total disgrace! without the pi55-poor track surface condition, no jokes, alledgedly light hearted, racist or any other, would have been made by MB.

MB is the ebst thing to happen to F1 commentary for me, his levels of insight are unparalled for any of us that are remotely interested in the techie and strategy side. Commentators are laymen, if i want to hear laymen spout about F1 i'll go to the pub or come onto a car website....

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.