Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: de dion
alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 23/6/04 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
de dion

Well I never considered this optoin and after reading the other topic I am convinced. Just want to understand it properly. Correct me if I am wrong. The de dion tube is suspended by four linkage arms connected to the middle of the chassis( actually behing seat) hence good power transfer and less hop!? Plu sit sort of acts as a roll bar ?
Problem is how to connect the de-dion tube to the rear hubs??? I am not building a 7 type and I was going to use X1/9 rear hubs which are basically front hubs. So question is how do I fabricate something to attache the de-dion, calipers, and linkages to the hub. I am sticking with FIat std as I already spent £*** on wheels to suite. I can't think of any other rear wheel drive fiats?!

JoelP

posted on 23/6/04 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i know, dedion uses a 5 point setup exactly the same as a live axle, the only difference being the diff is not part of it, and hence the dedion tube is bent behind the diff.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

timf

posted on 23/6/04 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alainmengoli@hotmail.com
I can't think of any other rear wheel drive fiats?!

Tblue

posted on 23/6/04 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
You could try adapting a Dedion rear end off an Alfa as these have the hubs already sorted for you, and your wheels will still fit. I've got one in the garage that I've gas axed the forward facing arms off, I'll get a photo at some point and put it in my archive so you can see what they are like. They come with a Watts linkage already attached, but you'll have to sort the brakes, as the Alfa's are inboard.

Photo now uploaded.

[Edited on 23/6/04 by Tblue]

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/6/04 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I sold the last of a long line of X19's to start my locost. The rear wheel bearings are a MAJOR hastle on an exxie, make sure yours are OK before committing your self.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 23/6/04 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
sounds good please sen me some pics or email me
Mark Allanson

posted on 23/6/04 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I am guessing your boxer already has inboard brakes, my old ti certainly did.

I have a drawing of the Guilietta rear end Rescued attachment int_susr.jpg
Rescued attachment int_susr.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/6/04 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
..and one showing its placement Rescued attachment trans.jpg
Rescued attachment trans.jpg

sgraber

posted on 14/7/04 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
Ignore the fact that my car is a middy and just note that I am using mcphereson strut style hubs coupled to a 3" 16ga deDion tube. The hubs have been rotated 90 degrees...

I believe that the X1/9 hubs are similar to mine?

With access to a mill, the big ears should be cut off the hubs and holes tapped to allow the hub to bolt directly to the deDion endplate. Could save several kilos that way.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PeterGT4

posted on 14/7/04 at 03:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Ignore the fact that my car is a middy and just note that I am using mcphereson strut style hubs coupled to a 3" 16ga deDion tube. The hubs have been rotated 90 degrees...

I believe that the X1/9 hubs are similar to mine?

With access to a mill, the big ears should be cut off the hubs and holes tapped to allow the hub to bolt directly to the deDion endplate. Could save several kilos that way.

Thanks for posting that, I've never thought of using FWD knuckles as the De Dion ears. Clever. Any problems with flex with that set-up (not really with fore-aft, but up down)? Would rear, parking-brake calipers fit easily to it? It looks like there's a structure welded to the tube to pick up the lower ball joint of the knuckle and the locating links as well?

sgraber

posted on 14/7/04 at 04:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks,

It could be more clever. I still haven't solved the parking brake issue. Although it's simply a matter of locating a bracket in the proper position... Too lazy to figure it out I s'pose.

The entire assembly is pretty stout. Although I see that a triangle brace could be added to make it even better.

Here is a shot of the assy on the car. and it should be noted that the caliper must be unbolted to bleed the brakes. Not the best there either. Like I said before, the idea is sound, my particular solution is so-so. I have some better ideas to solve it. I am sure that once you see this you can come up with a better solution too.

You can check out this July 2003 archive page of mine for more info. Shows the deDion while under development.

http://www.newtier.com/graber/mid-engine/Rear_Drive_Cradle/index.html

Also don't miss the image gallery at my website.

Steve Graber

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 14/7/04 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thos epics are great. I like the way you cut the uprights to fit them in which is my main problem. I am using fiat x1/9 rear uprights and their a nightmare to have the bearing changed. No one seems to know aht to do with them as if the bearings were pressed in but there is evedence of a large inverted bolt but no nut? . I am actually thinking of casting some one offs and it is actually very cheap. I was qouted £15 per hub using high quality steel that can be machined. hence with the new bearings and machinning I reckon a pair will cost only £90 not bad for one offs. Might be interested to if it is worth designing a pattern for the locost?????? hmmmm...
craig1410

posted on 14/7/04 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Alain,
You may have already come across this from other threads but my website has some information on the de-dion axle at this webpage.

Please feel free to email me if you want any more information or guidance.
Cheers,
Craig.

sgraber

posted on 14/7/04 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Craig, that is a great website! I wish I had had that available before I built mine.
One thing you could go into greater detail on is how to align the hub carrier plates via a jig/fixture.

Steve Graber

ned

posted on 14/7/04 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Craig,

That's all straight off the locost cdrom! is it copyrighted? My copy says copyright David Dunn 2002

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

craig1410

posted on 14/7/04 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,
I don't have the Locost CD-ROM but some guy sent the drawings etc to me a while back. If you see my website you will see the disclaimer at the top of the page which reads:

quote:
Note from webmaster: The following information was obtained from a third party who I would be happy to acknowledge if I could remember who it was. I believe the design is originally from MK Engineering but I understand that they no longer manufacture this item so I hope they don't mind me publishing the design here. Please let me know if this is a problem and I will remove the material immediately.

I though this was fair?

Anyway, thanks for the comments Steve.
Craig.

alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 14/7/04 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
was thinking of making a hub similar to that of the sierra but using the x1/9 bearings. But I still havent figured how the hell you take them out?Any help welcom.
Mark Allanson

posted on 14/7/04 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
general rule of thumb, you throw away the old hub carrier and buy a new one. The rear wheel bearings really were the exxie's achillies heel

alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 14/7/04 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Do any of you think I can use Ford bearing with my Fiat parts? Or maybe machine it to fit?
Mark Allanson

posted on 14/7/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's not the bearings themselves which are the problem, its when they finally give up the ghost, you have to replace the hub carrier as well. A few years ago there was an engineering company that did an exchange scheme for the carriers. A look on the X19 owners club site might be useful

http://www.x1-9ownersclub.org.uk/

alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 14/7/04 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
what about using the ford parts and redrilling the holes t osuit fiat stud patter?
Mark Allanson

posted on 14/7/04 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
why not use uprights from a different fiat/lancia/alfa? It's onlu the exxie that has the problem, I know that the uno uses 8.9" discs at the front. I even have a 1976 fiat 128 which needs a reincarnation! Rescued attachment 128.jpg
Rescued attachment 128.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/7/04 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
and these two until recently Rescued attachment DCP_0169.JPG
Rescued attachment DCP_0169.JPG

Steve Hnz

posted on 14/7/04 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Might be difficult, most redrillings are done at 45` to the original holes but the sierra back hubs have a hole in this position each side for accessing the hub mounting bolts . I think the remaining area left at say 20` would be marginal for strength. Anyone else?
PeterGT4

posted on 16/7/04 at 04:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
...and it should be noted that the caliper must be unbolted to bleed the brakes.

Maybe instead of unbolting the caliper for bleeding, just have remote bleeders on the ends of hoses connected to the old bleeder threads (mounted higher and away from the caliper). The same idea as co-axial clutch release bearings/slave cylinders...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.