Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Photoshop package
austin man

posted on 25/12/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Photoshop package

Being pretty new to the DSLR scene I am reading that RAW is the best file to save to as it saves more information resulting in greater possibilities when editing in photo packages. I have used JPEGS previously

I have used photoshop previously does this support editing RAW files if so will CS2 be up to the job or will a newer version be required i am able to access CS2

Or can someone recommend anything better

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Benzo

posted on 25/12/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
isnt RAW massive? my nikon d60 was using raw, but i went back to Jpeg because it was much easier worked with...
Benzo

posted on 25/12/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
isnt RAW massive? my nikon d60 was using raw, but i went back to Jpeg because it was much easier worked with...
austin man

posted on 25/12/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
yes it is bigger but I would like to look at the differences between the two, it appears that RAW saves all the data allowing a greater image manipulation which could result in a better output

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/12/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
i think you need the photoshop "camera raw plugin" for photoshop. Then you can edit RAW.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

snapper

posted on 26/12/10 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
RAW is so much better than Jpeg but to get the best output you need to be able to see what you have.
It is unlikely you have a screen good enough to see the difference, it's unlikely you have a calibration device go know the the screen you have is set up optimum
Etc. Etc.
However RAW has so much more information it is better to shoot RAW, save RAW and view RAW knowing that it is easy to save a copy as Jpeg for the odd print.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

IanBrace
Builder

Posts 159
Registered 21/5/09
Location Lincoln

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Re-built 1986 O and C Sport and sold it! Now a K s

posted on 26/12/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, unfortunately not all later cameras are supported with camera RAW plug-ins for CS2.. you'll need to check if yours is supported, there used to be a list on Adobes website.. failing that, Adobe Lightroom is much cheaper than PS and is brilliant for doing simple (and some not so simple) photo adjustments and is the best i've used for adding keywords and catalogueing stuff so you can find it in the future! Another cheaper option is Photoshop Elements, it has many of the features of the full blown PS program but at a fraction of the cost.
If you can afford the storage space, RAW is the way to go. jpegs dump information to reduce their size whereas with RAW you have all the info available at the time of shooting. You may not need that extra info for every photo today but you never know what you'll want those photos for in the future. What's the point of buying the best cameras and lenses and then letting it downgrade the info to jpeg?

www.aerialphotography.org.uk

Mark G

posted on 26/12/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, As above I agree that RAW is the way forwards. Editing in RAW is much much easier and you don't loose the quality like you would with a jpeg. I used to use Photoshop CS2 to edit RAW's. You may need a plugin for your camera depending on what it is. I now use CS3, my olympus DSLR needed a plugin but my Nikon doesn't.

Hope this helps. There are many tutorials on youtube etc to show you what to do with the RAW files.

Good luck.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 26/12/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Raw is good but big. If you have situations where you need to get info out of dark areas, raw is best. If you are used to editing jpegs, you will be amazed at the detail that you can get from raw images.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.