Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Red starter buttons...
ned

posted on 7/7/04 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Red starter buttons...

I really like the honda s2000 buttons as on ebay, but they seem a tad pricey.

The caterham (ala r500) ones look ok to me and after a bit of snooping it appears that they are supplied by farnels, so if you want to buy one for a mere £8.64 as opposed to caterham's £30 follow this link:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=109282&N=0

I also had a quick look on maplins which seem to sell a reasonably priced aircraft style hood that can be fitted to a toggle switch.

Rallynuts have some reasonably priced aircraft style toggle switches too.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
white130d

posted on 7/7/04 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Switch type

Ned, the tech spec states it as a SPNO/SPNC switch. Is that on/off switch or is it a momentary contact push button.

David

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

ned

posted on 7/7/04 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
should be momentay contact push switch, an ignition on/off would be better as a toggle or rocker switch.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan_Thomas

posted on 7/7/04 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
This is not suitable for starter as it is not 'momentary action'. This switch 'latches on'. Search the farnell site for 'SPNO momentary' (single pole normally open momentary action)
loafersmate

posted on 7/7/04 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
The NO and NC refer to normally open or normally closed in its normal state (ie not being switched/pushed)

Ben

ned

posted on 7/7/04 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
ok, so apparantly it's only £15 from caterham, anyway, see here:

http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=3509

Browser

posted on 7/7/04 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to do this, but (a) every bugger is so it's lost its 'quirky' appeal and(b) if Caterham are doing it I'm definitely not!

robinbastd

posted on 7/7/04 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Get a starter handle!

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

crbrlfrost

posted on 8/7/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps a rip cord!!
madforfishing

posted on 9/7/04 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Browser
I was going to do this, but (a) every bugger is so it's lost its 'quirky' appeal and(b) if Caterham are doing it I'm definitely not!

Browser, why not really push the boat out and go different...Have a GREEN (For GO!) starter button, C***erham don't do them.

Dale

posted on 9/7/04 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
I have been considering using an industrial pushbutton switch (allelbradley) that has a light in the switch. Then the switch light could be fed from the murphy switch (oil pressure kill switch) and will only be on when the engine is running.
Dale

zetec

posted on 9/7/04 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Would be even better if you could make it only work once to start the engine then need the ignition turned off before it would work the starter again, stop anyone wrecking a starter by presing it with the engine running.

I'm sure it could be done with a relay, just needs a bit of thought, which I ain't got much of today!

PeterGT4

posted on 10/7/04 at 05:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec
Would be even better if you could make it only work once to start the engine then need the ignition turned off before it would work the starter again, stop anyone wrecking a starter by presing it with the engine running.

I'm sure it could be done with a relay, just needs a bit of thought, which I ain't got much of today!

Maybe easier to just keep an eye on your passenger and give them a smack if they go to reach for it!

Nothing stops anyone from turning a conventional ignition key from running position to starter position and getting a "buzz" when running... I've done it before when my mind was elsewhere!

Hellfire

posted on 10/7/04 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterGT4
Nothing stops anyone from turning a conventional ignition key from running position to starter position and getting a "buzz" when running... I've done it before when my mind was elsewhere!

Haven't we all.... especially on those fandangly new quiet cars...

zetec

posted on 10/7/04 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Some cars you can't, you have to turn the key back and then it will engage the starter. Can't remember if this happens on the Sierra switch...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.