Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to change a seirra rear wheel baring?
Steve Lovelock

posted on 30/3/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
How to change a seirra rear wheel baring?

Hello,

I'm thinking of changing my rear wheel bearings whilst I strip the back end down to replace the wishbone bushes and not sure what is involved in doing the barings at the same time. Any ideas if it straight forward or not?

Also, can the barings be bought on-line to save money?

Cheers
Steve

big-vee-twin

posted on 30/3/11 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
The bearings consist of two pairs each side i.e. four in all the inner and outer race are seperate so all you have to do is bash out the outer race from the bearing carrier on each side, I got mine from ebay

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

mad-butcher

posted on 31/3/11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Crack the big nut before removing anything else apart from the wheel, can't remember whether they are handed though, one pure tw@ if you try stripping them off the car.

tony

[Edited on 31/3/11 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 31/3/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Are they noisy? You don't have to remove the bearing carrier to sort out the rear bushes if you do one arm at a time. If you do decide to replace the bearings, slacken the hub nut before jacking the car up as already suggested (41mm socket IIRC) jack the car up and put on stands remove hub nut, rear wheel and disc/drum the remove the bearing caliper bolts through the large hole in the driveshaft flange . Remove bearing caliper, take out bearing seals and inner bearings then use a drift through the hub and drift out the outer bearings. Pack the new bearings with fresh grease, get as much as you can into the bearings , you can't over pack. Separate the inner bearing from the outer race , place the outer bearing race into the bearing carrier then use a brass drift or if you can get hold of one, a bearing drift to drive the race into the hub Make sure the race is fitted the correct way into the carrier. If there is a spacer between the bearings put it in now .Repeat for the second race. Fit the seals and reassemble the carrier . Final tightening of the hub nut is best done with the wheels on the floor.
The Black Flash

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
As above - I put a few pics on my website here http://www.alfadax.com/content/before/sierra/sierra02.htm after I had to ask all the same questions!
You need a bearing splitter to get the inside one out though.

Not cheap either - I think it was the thick end of £50 for both rear bearing sets. Unless they're making a noise, I wouldn't bother tbh.

[Edited on 1/4/11 by The Black Flash]

Dingz

posted on 1/4/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Good set of instructions here N W Hoodies

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

coozer

posted on 1/4/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Dead easy, take them to bits and the tapered races knock straight out.

Got mine off the shelf at Caprispares last year when upgraded to an lsd. They do most of the Ford shows ad some classics as well.

http://www.gmscaprispares.co.uk/

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.