Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Found a sierra donor - worth it?
PSpirine

posted on 9/5/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Found a sierra donor - worth it?

Picked up a Rover 600 today from a dealer. Whilst there noticed a maroon sierra LX. Asked about it, they said they got it in part ex and were about to scrap it.

I offered to take it away for scrap value (£150) and they said I can have it if I want it...

It's got a week of MOT left (will fail on welding) and whilst the tax disc has been sent back to the DVLA this was on Friday so it might still be taxed. I can pick it up and drive it back tomorrow.

What's your opinion, worth £150?

I can't see how I'd find a cheaper one given that's practically what you'd get for weighing it in. Obviously it's a bog standard one without discs/LSD etc. but its complete and drives. Previous owner had it for silly years.

big_wasa

posted on 9/5/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yes worth it. It would weigh in for over £100 and if it had a T9 they are fetching over a ton on ebay these days.
lotusmadandy

posted on 9/5/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Definately,get it bought lad

Andy

Steve Lovelock

posted on 9/5/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'd love the indicator stalk if the self cancelling works

Steve

Ninehigh

posted on 9/5/11 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Pow, you got £200 already

PSpirine

posted on 10/5/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Picked it up.. awesome drive back!

Car drives really really well - absolutely no knocks or bangs - steering wheel straight, plenty of power. Brakes pull very slightly to the left if not holding the wheel, and the diff hums a bit (never had an old RWD car - is this normal?) but doesn't knock. Interior with absolutely no damage either!

Gearbox, clutch all smooth as anything.

All electrics work (windows, heater, lights, wipers).

Only now did I realise I don't actually know what engine is in there! never bothered to look lol It's a 2.0l though on the logbook. Does that make it a DOHC? Does that mean it doesn't have the type 9?

Seems almost a shame to scrap it but not bothered with putting it thorugh another MOT.

Will take it into work tomorrow - should be a nice B-road blast up there.

Pleased with my £150 worth. Even had about 1/5 tank of petrol.

Who said bargains can't be had at a dealer?

coozer

posted on 10/5/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent, your just plain lucky there, enjoy!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Ninehigh

posted on 10/5/11 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd have a look at what welding needs doing, they're becoming rare cars now and by the sound of it everything esle is pretty much spot on

PSpirine

posted on 11/5/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
So much fun to drive!

rust is mainly rear of sills and the rear arches but its fairly crusty around there. No rust above the waistline - even the sunroof doesn't leak!
Uploaded some pictures here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/pspirine/Sierra?authkey=Gv1sRgCLOLmvaguab3aA&feat=directlink

If I had a welder, I'd patch it up but as I don't at the moment, shamefully it'll have to die.

Shame it's got drums/push in shafts on the rear though.

robinj66

posted on 11/5/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
It is a DOHC engine which means it's likely to be a MT75 gearbox (all in one bellhousing and reverse gear in a different position). If the bodywork is past repair you could strip it and sell the unwanted bits. Try on the FSOC (Sierra Owners Club) - they may want trim bits etc as well as the bigger mechanical bits.

ETA J reg is getting towards the end of the production run and you may find all srts of extras on there that you wouldn't normally expect on a LX.

[Edited on 11/5/11 by robinj66]

morcus

posted on 11/5/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
That looks amazing for £150, and they were just gonna scrap it.

I'm with ninehigh on this, you might make some decent money doing some light restoration, decent Sierras seem to have decent asking prices. If not it might be worth seeing what the sierra owners club would offer for the whole car and save yourself the hassle of stripping it and perhaps save the car from death.

I find it weird that I've seen some 5 year old cars in terrible conditions with dealers asking full list price, it's nice to to here you can still get a running car for pretty much nothing.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.