Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Your thoughts on my website efforts
tegwin

posted on 30/10/11 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Your thoughts on my website efforts

I had my arm twisted by my sister to create her a website to promote herself as an expedition leader, survival expert etc. She actually has quite an interesting life flying all over the world to work with various clients including behind the scenes on bear-gryls and recently in front of the camera for a Swiss/German survival show.
The idea is to promote herself to potential private clients and also to TV companies and expedition companies in the hope of getting a more continuous stream of work.

Anyhow... would anyone with a few moments be willing to look at the (un-launched) website and give their thoughts on it. Both in terms of layout and content.

I think the idea is that she will add blog posts about the things she is doing all over the world and put up useful survival type info etc.

http://meganhine.com/cms

[Edited on 30/10/11 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

wylliezx9r

posted on 30/10/11 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I think its realy good, very professional, well done

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Guinness

posted on 30/10/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice site!

However, you said in your initial post that the reason for the website was to get more TV work and private work.

So, I'd be putting a couple of additional pages in:-

"Commercial Support" or something similar "Professional Guide"

I have worked behind the scenes on (insert names of shows) offering professional support, advice etc etc. I can offer (insert skills / etc.).

If you have a project, please contact me etc etc.

Then:-

"Private Work" or whatever she calls it.

My experience allows me to offer professional guide to those looking for more than a beach holiday etc etc.

If you want are planning a holiday of a lifetime, please contact me. etc

I'm sure you can word it much better, but (IMHO) you need to detail / offer the services?

How much do you charge to do a website like that!?

Mike

PSpirine

posted on 30/10/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've done a few websites and this one looks really good! Very appropriate for the content too, more importnatly.

As mentioned above, I'll second that you should have a page dedicated to the more business offerings side of things.

Good job!

MakeEverything

posted on 30/10/11 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Tidy.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

bmseven

posted on 30/10/11 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah very swish all looks good in Firefox a a bit more content required

And the Blog page needs a some of formatting/tidying, several different fonts and inconsistent borders

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

tegwin

posted on 30/10/11 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback.

We were thinking about putting an extra tab at the top but couldnt think of the right word to use.... "services" seems a little..um... inapropriate, but I cant think of anything else short that says the same thing without implying anything else..

Any ideas?

As for cost. Working back from the number of hours its taken... somewhere north of £300.... lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

flibble

posted on 30/10/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nice, the layout is very easy on the eye, no excess clutter etc. I like it
Most professional all in all!
Without sounding like a perv.. she certainly has the look that I'd imagine TV would jump on. I'd rather watch a survival program with her in than bear gryls

Macbeast

posted on 30/10/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Gallery doesn't seem to go anywhere ?
Contact page is a bit dingy

Otherwise nice.

Instead of services - " a la carte " ?

[Edited on 30/10/11 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

tegwin

posted on 30/10/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
@flibble Yes, id agree, just need to persuade the production companies its a good idea :p

@Macbeast, your quite right about the gallery, it seems to have taken itself offline. Something to fix later!..... Added a pic to the contact page to try and make it less dingy.

I like the idea of A la carte... will put it to meg!

mads

posted on 30/10/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Using Safari on Mac and layout/design looks fine. Couple of points:

Agree with Guiness about needing two more pages but maybe not two more tabs. One tab with a dropdown for each page (Corporate & Private)?

Not sure about the default font colour choice (on bio, links and contact). I think the white on the top blog article is better with the grey background.

The links page could do with a picture too as also looks bare.

Will you be removing the login/out module from the top?

Probably know this but the twitter and facebook links need to be put in

I like the image on the index page but I think it is just missing something... maybe a fancy signature in red or white in the bottom right hand corner? Is the front page slideshow having any more pictures?

Bit too much dead space at the bottom of the pages between the end of the content and the copyright. Maybe take out a couple of lines?

Not sure about the "a la carte" as its true definition is to do with food. I understand (and like) the concept but not sure its the most appropriate choice of word. I can't think of an alternative though either.

EDIT: Sticking with the french theme (though the other half did say that its not being used throughout the website), how about the word "Travail' ? Means work but also looks like travel?

Or maybe just the word Work in English? with the Corporate and Private as submenu options?

[Edited on 31/10/11 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.