Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Easiest CAD program to learn
Jermyn

posted on 1/9/04 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Easiest CAD program to learn

It's been a long time since I've used CAD software. But, I figure since I'm about 2 years out from my first weld, why not read up on chassis design and test some theories. In the locost spirit, I'm not looking to drop a bunch of dough. Freeware would be great! Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

If life is a race do you want to be the first one to finish?

Chris Green

posted on 1/9/04 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
autocad is probably the best 2D cad system to use, but I'm not sure exactly how much it cost.

I use Solidworks for 3D assembly modelling, and a small bit of Autocad for 2D.

Solidoworks is definitely not cheap though! its about £5000 for a license!

I believe that TurboCAD is freeware (if not free, its definitely cheap), and it seems a common choice.

HTH,

Chris.

Graceland

posted on 1/9/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
autocad is the best IMHO

did my city n guilds course using R13 (aaaages old) and now have ACad 2004 - such a fantastic piece of software.

well worth hunting for a download

tom_loughlin

posted on 1/9/04 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
autocad for 2d, solid works/edge for 3d, and rhino for complex surface modelling i reckon
all are available as 'freeware' if you know where to look

tom

chrisf

posted on 2/9/04 at 03:11 AM Reply With Quote
Discounted CAD?

All the suggested CAD software is very steeply discounted if you are (or know) a university student. 5000 UKP for Solidworks is expensive, but the student price is around 100UKP.

I've tried AutoCAD and SW. AutoCAD is impossible to learn and is a very cold environment to work in (IMHO). SW took me a while to learn, but it works a treat now.

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh Jarce

posted on 2/9/04 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
AutoCAD in conjunction with AutoSolids for 2D and 3D (makes it parametric). I also have SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Anvil and Alibre Design, but AutoCAD wins hands down for ease of use and the ability to stay in just one program.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

Mix

posted on 2/9/04 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
I bought Turbo Cad Designer Essential for £9:99 from PC World recently. I'm not finding it difficult to learn and it's been very useful when designing parts for the car. The label says it does 2D and 3D, (not got onto the 3D bit yet)

Mick

Mk-Ninja

posted on 2/9/04 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Autocad is the best 2D and Inventor the best and fastest growing 3D, and there both from Autodesk so they are totaly compatible.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

Tigers

posted on 2/9/04 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using AutoCAD 2004. earned it in 2 weeks from online tutorials. I find it quite simpe and easy to use also for 3D.
Creating a drawing is a bit tricky at first.
Janis

mackie

posted on 2/9/04 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
We've used solidworks for our design work. It's pretty intuitive and easy to learn but I think I've only scratched the surface. Jon (blueshift) has played a good deal more and has modelled a nice parameterised locost chassis . It's been really useful for generating templates for the angled ends of tubes and so on.

SW2005 does even more apparently, things like creating frames from 3D sketches is a breeze in the new version I think.

leto

posted on 3/9/04 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a place or two to start looking.

FREE STRUCTURAL SOFTWARE

Free Mechanical Engineering software

Easiest one to run? Not a clue, I usually mess around with the +2000£ stuff. Don't have to pay the license myself
Any suggestions for decent free FEA- programs appreciated

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/9/04 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
i am sure there is a linux fea package with is open source, caan't remember what it is called though

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/9/04 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
i reckon that the easiest drafting package is microstation. i have used both autocad and microstation and without a doubt no question it is 20 times easier/faster than autocad,

however this is probably due to the fact that when i use microstation i have the luxury of a graphics tablet and puck

i am going to buy the student version of solidworks its only £135 and it comes with all sorts of goodies(fea, kinematics ...)can't wait

[Edited on 3/9/04 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Jermyn

posted on 3/9/04 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leto
Here is a place or two to start looking.

FREE STRUCTURAL SOFTWARE

Free Mechanical Engineering software

Easiest one to run? Not a clue, I usually mess around with the +2000£ stuff. Don't have to pay the license myself
Any suggestions for decent free FEA- programs appreciated

Jermyn

posted on 3/9/04 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Which One?

THere are a boatload of them. Anybody used any of these? I'd rather not have to learn 5 programs just to get a good one

limy john

posted on 22/9/04 at 03:55 AM Reply With Quote
auto cad

don't any of you people have any lead in your pencil.
canyou not do it with full scale sketches and plot the movement of things can you not take moments about a fixed point, don't you know what a vector diagram is, for every action there is a reaction etc.
draw it full size and calculate the lines of force.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/9/04 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
have done it both ways, manual and with my new edition of solidworks 2005

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

NS Dev

posted on 22/9/04 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'll do it the easiers way thanks!!!! NO point making work harder than it needs to be!!!

I am sure that, though we wouldn't like to say it on here, lots of us have come across "free" copies of Solidworks and AutoCad!!!

I have used both. Solidworks is one industry "standard" and is useful with the sheetmetal package for bend radii etc.

AutoCad is what I learnt at college (version 13 again!!) but was sneered at by any industry I have dealt with since.

I then used the fairly old in 1998 "ME 10" software, which uses a tablet and pen and discovered what the draughtsman where I was working was on about!!

ME10 was much much easier and more intuitive to use than AutoCad!!!!!!!!!

I now tend to use a combination of AutoCad and Solidworks but would use ME 10 if I could still get it free!!

As for the "do it the manual way"......why??????????????

Why take 2 hours to do a job manually that you can do in 20 mins on CAD??????????????

I am a stickler for being able to do things "from first principles" and I am terrible for "fag packet design" but equally I will use CAD when it is needed and helpful!!

A recent use I have found is the increasing number of subcontract laser/plasma cutting companies willing to take on small orders for profiling work to fill sheets or 10 min gaps in their schedules, and that can accept DXF files by email. Just compile all your brackets and widgets onto files for each thickness of sheet that you need, name the files appropriately, email to them and give them a call to explain briefly. Pop in a week later and pick up the bits and pay the bill. Saves hours of jigsawing steel sheet and is so neat!!!

ayoungman

posted on 23/9/04 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
CAD software

If you know any kids in secondary schools, they can get hold of a program called Prodesktop. Its far easier to use than AutoCad etc. The school will be able to give them(you) a copy on CD without breaking copyright rules. Airbus industries use the software, so its very powerful ! Look it up on the net !

"just like that !"

Jermyn

posted on 23/9/04 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Solidworks

Got Solidworks 2004 simply for the 3-d aspect of it. I have completed some of the online traing for it and it is comming pretty easy. Thanks to all who made suggestions.

Project7

posted on 24/9/04 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Getting a copy of AutoCAD is pretty easy, as the trail CDs are identical to the full versions except they are packaged without a serial number.

[Edited on 24/9/04 by Project7]

malcolmstoddart

posted on 24/9/04 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Some people laugh when I say I use autosketch at work... but to be able to draw your 2d image and then extrude, chop and all the other bits and produce a good,acurate drawing that even a general manager can understand... well that speaks for itself..
chbright

posted on 29/9/04 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
i would recommend autodesk inventor if u can get a copy, much more user friendly than autocad or machanical desktop but uses the same files (so u can import autocad).
kreb

posted on 8/11/05 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like to learn CAD. I'm a fair "pencil draftsman" with a copy of autodesk mechanical desktop, which intimidates me. I also don't have time to attend classes, so it's going to have to be tutorials at 10 PM.

The main things that I want to be able to do are sheet metal pattern drafting (For my job) and chasis/skins for my passion. I can draw tube chasis and sheet metal development, but once you've got compound curves, you need the power of a computer.

What's my best bet? So far solidworks sounds most promising, and my sister can get it through her university at the student rate.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

Alan B

posted on 8/11/05 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
My 2c (2p)

2D........ AutoCAD (LT is fine)
Solid modelling (I'm deliberately avoiding saying 3D)......... Solidworks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.