Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Keyless ignition
danro

posted on 14/9/04 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Keyless ignition

Has anyone done a keyless ignition system?
I quite fancy the idea of flicking a switch, a numeric keypad to punch in a number then press the red button to start the engine.
Perhaps a soleniod do the steering lock?

Am I missing something really obvious here or is it 'doable'?

I have only a basic knowledge of electrics so any comments will just add to the leaning experience

OK....hit me with it!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 14/9/04 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible, I think the reason it hasn't (I'm assuming) been done before is because 7 style cars are obviously quite easy to climb into, and therefore your only line of defence from would-be car snatchers is the fact that they haven't got a key. If they managed to get hold of your code then it wouldn't take much for them to steal it.

I'll be interested to see what anyone else has to say because keyless ignition sounds good to me too, but I've avoided it for the above reasons

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 14/9/04 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Solenoid steering lock sounds very frightening indeed! It would have to be electrically held off....
My brother converted a yank TR6 back to right hand drive & the steering locked on him, reckons he aged 10 years in 3 seconds before he was able to brute force the car back into control. The earth strap from the battery had fouled the column UJ
I'm fairly frightened by the sierra steering lock on my column(!) I guess it must be OK......
Cheers
Bob

splitrivet

posted on 14/9/04 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Maplins do a velleman kit thier part number ve76h which included a number pad and relay which would do the job,which we used to use for door entry.Dont know if its still current failing that they do several remote kits which would also do it for not much money.
Cheers,
Bob,

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Dale

posted on 14/9/04 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
for a solinoid steering lock my sugestion would be a manual locking pin that a solinoid unlocks to allow you to unlock the wheel but if the solinoid reengages it will not lock your steering untill youmanually relock the wheel.
Dale

Northy

posted on 14/9/04 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
How about one of the alarms that disarms just because you've got the transponder in your pocket?

I think they are cheap on Ebay. Has anyone used one? Or have any experience? I fancy using one.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spunky

posted on 14/9/04 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have a keyless system, thats to say there is no ignition barrel or conventional key. Just a button transponder that you touch on the dash to switch the ignition on ( like those used on some pub cash tills)
I wear it as a necklace 'cos I'm paranoid about loosing it.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

twinturbo

posted on 15/9/04 at 05:08 AM Reply With Quote
What are the SVA requirements?

TT

spunky

posted on 15/9/04 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twinturbo
What are the SVA requirements?

TT

SVA simply requires an anti theft device to be fitted. Either mechanical or electrical, this in addition to a steering lock/ignition key. I fitted a battery isolator, which seems a popular choice.

John

Rob Lane

posted on 15/9/04 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
When did they add steering lock/ignition key?

As far as I was aware it only called for an 'anti-theft device' in addition to normal 'ignition switch'. This switch was not defined and a flip switch was acceptable with further anti-theft measures. Electronic or otherwise.

[Edited on 15/9/04 by Rob Lane]

DaveFJ

posted on 15/9/04 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I thought SVA required two seperate devices - one of which to be mechanical and niether capable of being 'switched on' whilst the engine is running ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Rob Lane

posted on 15/9/04 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
This is what I have BUT it may have been updated, hence my question.

Extract:

Security

1. Check, in addition to the normal "ignition" switch, the vehicle is permanently fitted with an "anti theft" device that can be activated to prevent the vehicle being driven or moved under its own power.

The device may be mechanical, electrical or electronic or a combination of these.

2. Check the operation of devices and their interaction with any system that affects the control of the vehicle.

danro

posted on 15/9/04 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Cool!!!
Those transponders are only £9.99 'buy now!' on Ebay!! (or £40 for a toad one)
That is probably better than the keypad.
I agree that the solenoid for the steering lock could be a bit dodgy - that was one reason I decided to air my thoughts.

From what I can gather from Spunky I do not need the steering lock if I use a battery isolator? What is you isolator like? A big red twist switch like the ones fond in the race series or is more subtle?

[Edited on 15/9/04 by danro]

spunky

posted on 15/9/04 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry didn't make it very clear. Steering lock is not a requirement.

John

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
When did they add steering lock/ignition key?

As far as I was aware it only called for an 'anti-theft device' in addition to normal 'ignition switch'. This switch was not defined and a flip switch was acceptable with further anti-theft measures. Electronic or otherwise.

[Edited on 15/9/04 by Rob Lane]

spunky

posted on 15/9/04 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
It is a big red switch with a hi load resistor connected behind the switch to protect the alternator. It is positioned descreetly between the seats though

John

ned

posted on 16/9/04 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen battery kill switches located hidden under the dash and even externally inside/under the front nose cone..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.