Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what to use for rollers/bearings
locoboy

posted on 24/10/12 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
what to use for rollers/bearings

I am making an agricultural style set of drawers to fit side and under my work bench.

They will be 4 feet wide and about 3 ft deep and i am after ideas on some cheap commercially available bearings/rollers to use in the following set up... They will be bolted/welded onto a metal frame and run on a metal section bolted to the inside of the carcase.

Any ideas

drawer for bench
drawer for bench

[Edited on 24/10/12 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

amalyos

posted on 24/10/12 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Get some old car seat tracks from the scrappy, take out the latching mech and hey presto, some heavy duty draw runners.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

mcerd1

posted on 24/10/12 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
roller skate / skate board wheel bearings can be dirt cheap - but you have to buy them in packs of 8

I'm using one for my throttle pedal

[Edited on 24/10/2012 by mcerd1]

-

HowardB

posted on 24/10/12 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
I have some ball bearing drawer slides that I got for this purpose,. they are industrial versions of the filling cabinet drawer slides. They weren't too expensive, just can't remember where they came from.

I guess the questions are how much load in the drawer? How far do you want it to extend?

The drawer on my bench was done using kitchen drawer rollers and is ok to about 30kg, but doesn't really extend far enough.

hth

ps the rollers in your drawing are the wrong way round, the top one needs to be at the back.

[Edited on 24/10/12 by HowardB]

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

TAZZMAXX

posted on 24/10/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at these, they won't break the bank.

http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/41210716__SERIES_250_BOTTOM_ROLLER_107_16

All you do is attach them to your drawer unit and then have 2 pieces of tube, with tabs welded to the side and bolted to the floor for them to run on. I know they'll take a bit of weight as a mate of mine has two travelling gantries running on them to build a narrow boat.

matt_gsxr

posted on 24/10/12 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
What about the sliders on an old filing cabinet?
Those take loads of weight and people are chucking them out all the time.

locoboy

posted on 24/10/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I cant see manufactured drawer sliders being up to the job somehow. I recon the wooden drawer will weigh 10kg, plus contents it going to be 40Kg.
They will need decsnt sized fixings into the carcase too so the likes of filing cabinet runners wont have the clearance to allow the use of decent sized fixings.

Im thinking of using Skateboard wheels running in a track or if I am tight on space using rollerblade wheels as they are skinnier. Whatcha think?

BTW the roller are not the wrong way round. The big rectangle in the drawing is the drawer and is moving to the right (the drawer is having the wheels arrached to it not having fixed wheels on the carcass)

ATB
Locoboy

designer

posted on 24/10/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

They will be 4 feet wide and about 3 ft deep

That's not a drawer, it's a bin and will weight a lot.

Put some castors on them and do as I do and they will take any weight you care to put in it,

Top row, fouth from right.
http://www.shedworks.eu/hints.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 24/10/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
http://store.stepvanparts.com/HINGES-ROLLERS-WHITING-STEPVAN.HTM

Are these any good for what you want
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daviep

posted on 24/10/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
We use drawers of the same construction at work, 8ft x 3ft x 1ft and we fill them with steel tubular tools which can end up weighing over 300kgs per drawer, I would guess the bearings were about 1" od can't guess on ID sorry. They work well but are very easy to jam if not pulled out nice and square I guess yours will be a bit less susceptible being shorter.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

posted on 24/10/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
I am making an agricultural style set of drawers to fit side and under my work bench.

They will be 4 feet wide and about 3 ft deep and i am after ideas on some cheap commercially available bearings/rollers to use in the following set up... They will be bolted/welded onto a metal frame and run on a metal section bolted to the inside of the carcase.

Any ideas

May I ask whats wrong with using, err, bearings? Ebay is full of them.

6201's (12x32x10) are 99p each, and some were £5.95 for ten.

I only bothered to look on the first page of a "bearing" search.

Paul G

locoboy

posted on 25/10/12 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul,
Thats what I was looking for, I dont know much about bearings and didnt know what size or code to go for, Just ordered them up and I think they will be ideal.

BTW when I say the drawer is 3ft deep I mean back to front not top to bottom!

Thanks

ATB
Locoboy

dave107

posted on 25/10/12 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Used roller blade bearings on a project in back of my VW T5 van draw size 1100w x 1300d used to put all camping equipment in fitted undernearth bed, used this summer in europe and works perfect pulls out the back of van so no climbing inside and everthing is safelly out of the way and out of site.

Dave

locoboy

posted on 25/10/12 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Dave,
Thats a deep drawer, could you pull it all the way out?
Don't suppose you have a picture of it do you? I'm interested in the runner/bearing arrangement you used.
Cheers
Colin

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.