Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Pickup truck to buy
jase380

posted on 16/12/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Which Pickup truck to buy

Hi Folks, I'm thinking about changing my car for a double cab pickup but would like any views / experience you have on the various models out there. It needs to be able to tow a twin axle caravan and would prefer it not to be in the mega road tax bracket, it would be a bonus if it doesn't drop to bits after 80k miles but that's about all. The only one i've ruled out is the navara,after all the problems we had with the wifes brand new Juke that spat it's gearbox out after 250 miles and the shitty service we got from Nissan customer care hell will freeze over before I ever have another Nissan. I've got about 9k in the piggy bank although cheaper would be better.
r1_pete

posted on 16/12/12 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've been very happy with the two L200s I've had.
1st was a 2006 Warrior, traded in with 70K on the clock for £1000 less than I paid 3 years earlier.
Now have a 2010 Raging Bull.If you can get a 2006 model they are in the Euro 4 tax bracket, was £125, the bull is £220 I think.
Both did / do excellent mpg, 35 from the warrior, the bull is the lesser 138 bhp and will return 40+, had a few recalls with the earlier one, but no faults with either, apart from in this one the lcd display doesn't work very well in sub 0 temperatures, its fine as soon as it warms up....
Never towed with either, so can't comment on towing ability.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BigFaceDave

posted on 16/12/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
We have had a couple of Navara's at work 52 plate crew cab threw a con rod through the side of the block (I have known of 2 other to do this so seems a common problem) and then we had a new shape one (08 outlaw I think) Which used to get through clutches and dual mass flywheels and cost a fortune to put right. I found very uncomfortable and very very thirsty! (very) I believe they both had renault engine's which I would be annoyed about paying a lot of money for Japanese quality and getting a french engine! but thats just me!

We also have had a L200 and a Hilux (both the 2wd lower versions) and the guy who drives them isnt what you would call a natural driver, every day they get nothing but abuse and take everything that is thrown at them in their stride! Pretty much indestructable the hilux has got 188k now and hasnt even been serviced since we have had it I dont think and its got to be getting on for 5 years now and it just starts and works every time. Not necessarily relevant to your question but as you said I would avoid Nissan's like the plague and L200's and Hilux's are generally as good as you would hope they are.

CNHSS1

posted on 16/12/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
We have a Great Wall Steed Se at work, 17 grands worth of chinese cheap as chips truck! It isnt a top end navarra or L200 but a great little workhorse. Bit underpowered, if dragging big loads but fine for most use. Reasonably appointed leather, aircon, heated seats, bluetooth etc

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

catman

posted on 16/12/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I run both a 2010 and a 2002 L200's both great trucks the old one has done 200k (on second engine) it is cheap to maintain. new one has just run out of warrenty, central locking and heater plugs repaired. I tow alot of heavy loads but i find it Heavy on the brake pads/discs. If i could afford it i would buy a Hi lux every time

Ed

caged supersix
Carbon/GRP
210 bhp silvertop
190 lbft

TAZZMAXX

posted on 16/12/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
It will be interesting to see what other peoples views are on the Navara as I was thinking of getting one a while ago but a friend in the motor trade strongly advised against them. Their view was that they were a heap of trouble. I had a bit of a change direction with what I wanted it for so stopped looking for pick ups.
jamiepearson69

posted on 17/12/12 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Pickups

The Navara's are trouble, The old ones (D22) the engines had a habbit of going bang. If you look on ebay, there are always some for sale in need of engine replacment.

The newer ones eat clutches and freinds have also had rear diff problems. The fuel consuption is however quite reasonable.

I would go with a Toyta Hilux over any other you cant beat the reliability and durability.

jase380

posted on 17/12/12 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, pretty much all seem to be around what I was thinking, Navaras are made from candy floss and monkey metal and should be avoided at all cost. I like the Hi lux but think they are pig ugly with a load canopy on, seems like the l200 will be the one to go for. Has anyone had any experience with the Isuzu denver / rodeo ?.
catman

posted on 17/12/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
They are expensive, but more power 3L I think.

Ed

caged supersix
Carbon/GRP
210 bhp silvertop
190 lbft

perksy

posted on 17/12/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
We have a New Navara at work and its been back to the dealers a few times already, so i think i'd be looking elsewhere tbh
(Wouldn't be so bad if it was getting a lot of miles on it but it hardly does anything)

morcus

posted on 17/12/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
The Izuzu is amazingly quiet. My Fiat dealer took me out in one a few times and it was so much smoother than my dads Ford Ranger and quieter than most diesel cars, I actually asked if it was petrol because it was so quiet. As said though, expensive.

I really like the look of the VW Amarok, I'd want to test on of those if I was after a truck, though I've no idea what they cost.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

CNHSS1

posted on 17/12/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I had a shufty at an Amarok, thing that struck me was the shear size of the thing! Easier to park a 7.5tonner!

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.