Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MSVA help
red baron

posted on 9/10/13 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
MSVA help

hi guys, im building a road quad with a GSXR 1000 engine in it,(the thread is under BEC) and whilst its a way off yet was wondering about the following;

the quad will need an MSVA test but don't have a VIN number, how do i get one? and can it be made out of a small plate (like old cars) if so who makes them?
also what are the basics of the test, any pointers and things to watch for?
i was thinking about finishing the quad up to ready for paint, and then taking it for its test so if any modification are needed i don't screw up the paint, will this be acceptable to the tester?

many thanks in advance

matt_claydon

posted on 9/10/13 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
You'd better check the max power limit in the MSVA manual, think it's around 15kW for a quad.
minitici

posted on 10/10/13 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
As above - a GSXR1000 would way exceed the power output permitted for a Heavy Quadricycle.

You would need to go for IVA and I don't think you have a chance of getting a Quad through without a major redesign.

red baron

posted on 10/10/13 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
just looking at the gov.uk web site and cut and pasted this, its does say "quadricycles" dont need an IVA

1.9 When does IVA not apply?
• Agricultural or forestry tractors, their trailers and interchangeable towed machinery, together
with their systems, components and separate technical units and trailers designed and
constructed specifically to be towed by them.
• Quadricycles.
• Tracked vehicles.
• ‘Incomplete’ vehicles (except until October 29th 2014 in respect of an incomplete Heavy Goods Vehicle)
• Old vehicles (i.e. passenger cars and light goods vehicles over 10 years old and large goods
vehicles over 25 years old).
IVA does not apply but is optional for the following :
• Vehicles designed and constructed for use principally on construction sites or in quarries, port
or airport facilities.
• Vehicles designed and constructed for use by the armed services, civil defence, fire services
and forces responsible for maintaining public order.

loggyboy

posted on 10/10/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but the definition of a quadricycle is
Quadricycle is a 4 wheeled vehicle of which there are two classes: (i) light quadricycles whose unladen mass is not more than 350kg, not including the mass of the batteries in case of electric vehicles, whose maximum design speed is not more than 45km/h. These vehicles shall be considered to be mopeds and shall fulfil the technical requirements applicable to 3 wheeled mopeds; and, (ii) quadricycles other than those in (i), whose unladen mass is not more than 400kg (550kg for vehicles intended for carrying goods), not including the mass of batteries in the case of electric vehicles, and whose maximum net engine power does not exceed 15kW. These vehicles shall be considered to be motor tricycles and must fulfil the technical requirements applicable to motor tricycles

Your engine would put the vehicle in limbo of not being a quad or a car.

Mistral Motorsport

red baron

posted on 10/10/13 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the reply Loggyboy, but what does that mean?

oh and i see your from sunny basingstoke

red baron

posted on 10/10/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
but is this where the 15kW comes in,

if i got it de-tuned to 15kW and the weight is no more than 400Kg would i be good then

loggyboy

posted on 10/10/13 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
15kw is 20bhp, so god knows how you would detune it that much. I think you might need to rethink plans. Or msva with different engine then replace it, however as there are laws that define what a quad is im not sure you could legally modify it as you can with cars. (Although some may argue any deviation from type or individual approval is technically illegal!)
Yes from amazingstoke... for my sins

Mistral Motorsport

red baron

posted on 10/10/13 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe I could take out three of the plugs out, to get down to 15kw:-D ,
Thiis is why I'm asking now, so I can plan through it
Maybe next time I will get a road legal one

red baron

posted on 10/10/13 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with blazingsmoke :-(
red baron

posted on 6/11/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
ok update.
i have spoken with VOSA, and they have stated that if the vechical is over 10yrs old then it dosent need an MSVA!!

so i contacted DVLA and they have agreeded with the above, and have said that it might not even be seen by anyone......
i contacted yamaha and the quad was made in 2003, but its a may 2004 model, so i might have to wait a bit before i continue
i now have the problem of what to write on the v55/5

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.