Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Excel Spreadsheet Stuff
mistergrumpy

posted on 13/4/18 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Excel Spreadsheet Stuff

Can anyone advise me if the following is possible and maybe how to do it?
I have some work stuff on a spreadsheet but I'd like to add some things to make it more user friendly and which would enable me to share it. One of the things I'd like to add is a weights conversion system based on grams, ounces and kilo's. I'd ideally like to enter the quantity next to one of the weights titles and then have the conversion automatically populate the others. I've figured it so that I can put in a quantity of grams and the ounces and kilo's automatically populate but, as I say, I'd like to input in ounces or kilo's sometimes and have that figure populate the others.
Any help?

starterman

posted on 13/4/18 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Use a simple look up table. If you want to email a sample of your spreadsheet I'll add one in for you.

Cheers
Mike

mistergrumpy

posted on 13/4/18 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer. The contents are a bit sensitive though because it's work stuff. A look up table though? I'll look it up and see if I can figure it out. Thanks
daKlone

posted on 13/4/18 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think there is a way to do exactly what you want.

In order for the cells with the result in them to work, they'll need a formula in them. That formula would be lost if you typed something into the cell directly, so it wouldn't work.

You could have three cells, into any one of which you could enter data and three separate cells that contained the results in all three units.

Take a look at the =CONVERT function, which will take care of whatever conversion you want to do.

Hope that helps.

dK

Winter is coming...

mcerd1

posted on 14/4/18 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
You could do it with simple formulae and a some hidden cells/columns

You might have an input cell for the value and one to select the units, then let a load of them IF functions in the hidden cells do the logic bit

It's not the pretty way, but if you lock down the hidden bits it should be quite robust

(I use ones like this at work all the time, the fancy ones always seem to get broken, natural stupidity vs artificial intelligence I guess )

-

mistergrumpy

posted on 14/4/18 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I settled on something like Daklonee said. It was becoming too difficult and giving me headache. Thanks for the suggestions.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.