Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Honda Generator Advice - No spark - Now Have Spark!
Dick Axtell

posted on 20/7/18 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Honda Generator Advice - No spark - Now Have Spark!

Hello LCB experts.

I have a Honda GX 160 5.5hp generator. Was using it to drill coupla holes, for raising the fuel tank. One hole successfully made, then the gen coughed, and spluttered to a stop. It has never run since.

Here are the measures taken - so far:-

1: Suspecting a fuelling problem, I cleaned out the fuel tank and replaced the outlet/fuel filter and the fuel hose. Filled tank with fresh petrol. Still no sign of starting.

2: Tried to give the carburettor a strip-clean, then decided to fit completely new carb. No start.

3: Checked the spark plug and discovered "no spark". After seeing YouTube clip about this, decided to replace the ignition coil.

4: New ignition coil fitted; still no spark. Bought new spark plug - still no spark.

So please can anybody suggest what could be wrong. Have run out of what other faults might have caused this non-function. You advice would be very welcome.

Bear in mind that gen had been running OK initially.

TIA

[Edited on 20/7/18 by Dick Axtell]

[Edited on 21/7/18 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

jimmyd

posted on 20/7/18 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Oil level ok? Mine has a cut out switch linked to the oil level.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 20/7/18 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd
Oil level ok? Mine has a cut out switch linked to the oil level.

+ 1...
It may be marginally low and when pump picks up oil...
Dies immediately..

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dick Axtell

posted on 20/7/18 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
jimmyd & Angel, thanks for your suggestions. Will check this out tomorrow.

Dick Axtell

posted on 20/7/18 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
jimmyd & Angel, thanks for your suggestions. Will check this out tomorrow.

Bigheppy

posted on 20/7/18 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Faulty stop switch. Wire to stop switch rubbed through and grounding out. Flywheel woodruf key stripped. Is the new coil fitted correctly I had a small engine where the distance between the coil and stator was set with a piece of paper between the two. If it was any further away no spark. Did the coil come with new plug lead if not check continuity/replace.
Just a few thoughts hope you get it sorted.

russbost

posted on 20/7/18 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Not clear from your post, but I'm guessing this is magneto ignition? most small generators are. If so, how sure are you there's no spark, spark generated from a magneto can be pretty invisible unless viewed in relatively dim lighting. If it has a spark, but won't run then I'd suspect woodruff key as mentioned above as that effectively screws the timing up

If there is definitely no spark, & you've already replaced the coil & HT lead, then most likely the magneto is grounded either thro' the stop wire/switch or elsewhere

Can you find a manual for it online, there is usually a "troubleshooter" - working thro' it in a methodical manner usually reaps rewards, flitting from one guess to another like a butterfly on speed generally does not ................

Hope you get it sorted

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Dick Axtell

posted on 20/7/18 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Bigheppy & russbost - Thanks for your additional thoughts on this very irritating problem. I'll check out the "kill" switch connections and wiring tomorrow. (After checking the oil level).

Dick Axtell

posted on 21/7/18 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again to All for your advice. Could see no spark, even in dark shadow conditions. So, in sheer desperation, I reassembled everything back together, with the new parts, gave the starter cord a pull, and eventually it fired up !!

All I have to do now - reset the idle and load-running speeds. Back to YouTube again!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.