Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ST170 checking VVT?
cliftyhanger

posted on 18/4/19 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
ST170 checking VVT?

Had my spitfire apart over the winter to fix a few chassis cracks (now reinforced) and repair the rear after it got driven into...

I digress. Took it for teh MoT yesterday, passed OK but it felt a bit down on power. I had the engine out to do the above work, but wondering if the VVT is working. Is there a way of checking? I mean physically, the ECU has not been fiddled with.
I Thought about setting the spark table to (eg) 20 degrees, and using a timing light on the cam pulley? would that work? Or other suggestions?

I did change the air filter from on intake pancake type to airbox with cold air feed, but I don't think that will do a lot to tuning? Seems to be popping a bit on over run now too....

(I probably need to employ the lappy and wife to check, but after ideas first!)

Ta

Daf

posted on 18/4/19 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Disconnect the solenoid and see if it's any different to drive?
cliftyhanger

posted on 18/4/19 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I guess that is the ghetto test! Will give it a go..
Would like to be a bit more "technical" and see it advance and retard. Will have a look on Saturday, next time I have a free moment....

I would really like to find 2 bits of info from the ST170. The factory ignition map, and the VVT map, (though I think somebody has produced a VVT version, ME?)

Daf

posted on 18/4/19 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I guess that is the ghetto test! Will give it a go..
Would like to be a bit more "technical" and see it advance and retard. Will have a look on Saturday, next time I have a free moment....

I would really like to find 2 bits of info from the ST170. The factory ignition map, and the VVT map, (though I think somebody has produced a VVT version, ME?)

Yes it's ME - they do the VVT pro which has a map for the VVT, I'm sure I've seen it online somewhere I will have a look

cliftyhanger

posted on 19/4/19 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Fret not, it is a ME221 ECU, and I have not played with their VVT settings. The other tuning data was a bit hot and miss, even after it had been on their rollers but I had got the map pretty sorted before the engine came out over the winter.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.