Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What do you do for a living?
big-vee-twin

posted on 26/6/19 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Consultant. I have my own practice I work closely with Developers, Architects and Structural Engineers to design large buildings of all types.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

JAG

posted on 26/6/19 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a Chartered Engineer and I design Brake Calipers for a large Car Manufacturer. I sit behind a desk most of the day, the rest is spent in meetings and making coffee!

I've been in automotive design since 1995. Prior to that I worked in Air Compressor design (Hydrovane) and I was an Engineering Apprentice at a forging company.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

hughpinder

posted on 26/6/19 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Started off as a Chemical Engineer, but got involved in batch automation, originally as staff, went self employed 30 years ago. After a couple of years I got a 3 month contract (renewable daily thereafter) on a pharmaceutical plant, been here ever since! Plant is closing at the end of next year so who knows what is next!
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 26/6/19 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
After university ran a pub bar, then worked for local Mercedes dealership in the parts department, went to join the Police (was accepted on graduate scheme, but turned it down), went into IT (secure data eradication speciality), before ending up in GRP/fibreglass laminates (mostly for commercial vehicles but includes storage tanks, swimming pools, industrial cladding, rooflights etc.), and been doing that for the past 7.5 years....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Abe

posted on 26/6/19 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Great thread. Enjoying this
andrew.carwithen

posted on 26/6/19 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Electrical fitter by trade.
Early years serving my apprenticeship and working in the Naval base in Plymouth.
Latter years working for BT before having to take early retirement on medical grounds - and for the last two years since, starting up and running my own business as a kit car manufacturer.

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/6/19 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Engineering planner for a company who maintain & refurbish offshore cranes in the North Sea. My day is spent creating/updating schedules, going to progress meetings or wandering round the workshops to see how things are really going, which is much more reliable than asking engineers for progress

Although on Monday I just got a new job with their bitter rivals and am starting in a months time with a 10k pay increase It's going to cause utter chaos when I leave but hay ho got to look after yourself...

However in a couple of years (or sooner) the plan is to completely take over the family business from my folks of building houses & renovating flats full time and stop this office nonsense for good, before these screens knackers my eye's

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mash

posted on 26/6/19 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Started work in 1969 as a trainee Quantity Surveyor, hated it and moved into being a Civil Engineering Technician, Bad move money wise, but much more interesting. Worked on various heavy civils jobs for 10 years, including Hartlepool and Heysham NPS where I ended up staying for 7 of them, then moved to local authority (Lancaster) for another 10 years in drainage design.

Moved south in 1990, and worked for Bournemouth BC, at first in the engineers department, and then for IT after qualifying as an MCSE just after the salaries started to get worse. Finally retired in 2014 having spent the last 7 years as Email administrator, running about 4000 desktops, really stressy.

Also did 12 years in the reserves, Army first then RAF, and managed to survive 6 months in a really hot deserty place

Got a part time job as a fire fighter in Dorset just before I retired, and still do that, and still work with the cadets. Build classic motor bike wheels in my spare time, no wonder I don't have time to finish re-building my Indy

swanny

posted on 26/6/19 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Office jockey here!
13 years working for an engineering company, technical sales, CAD etc. Now done 13 years at a University helping businesses access academic experts and government money to do exciting R&D projects. travel about abit which is great, but trapped in the office all week this week!

Partofthechaos

posted on 26/6/19 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of interesting roles so far!

My job is a little different, I project manage the clean up of oil leaks, mainly domestic. Away from the gas pipe lines people have a tank of oil in their garden. If that leaks, the pipe or boiler fails, or there is an issue during a delivery we sort it out.

Initial response, organising contractors, scientific assessment, reporting, regulator communication, budgets, groundwater remediation etc. The role requires a wide range of responsibilities. We are responsible for taking people's houses apart and putting them back together again, minus the oil.

There is some desk work, but also lots of site work and driving about which suits me fine. Though I am looking forward to retiring. Only another 30 years!

David Jenkins

posted on 26/6/19 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
It's good to keep one's hand in (insert obligatory gynaecology joke here).

David Jenkins

posted on 26/6/19 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I started as a BT apprentice (actually it was Post Office Telephones when I started) in Swansea. Worked my way through the ranks until I was dealing with computer systems that churned out statistics in London. Got promoted to the Ipswich area, involved first with software research, then QA (ISO9001). Offered voluntary redundancy, grabbed it with both hands and ran.

Ended up as a self-employed contractor, commuting into London, mostly dealing with Y2K and ISO9001. Enjoyed every aspect of this, apart from the commute - I was on a 60+ hour week when you added in the train times (that's when they worked properly).

Eventually spent a few years in Shenfield, so a much shorter commute. Got pee'd off eventually after a buy-out by a Danish firm, so got a job in Ipswich - for 2 weeks! I'd never seen such an incompetent firm...

Coincidentally I saw my financial adviser while in the last job - he asked what I'd like to do with my life, and I said I'd retire tomorrow if I could (I wasn't receiving state pension then). His reply was "you could retire, if you're not stupid with your money". Guess what I did... best move I ever made.

So, to summarise, I'm now retired and enjoying nearly every minute of it (learning that I had prostate cancer took the edge off the enjoyment last year).

[Edited on 26/6/19 by David Jenkins]

nick205

posted on 26/6/19 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm enjoying the variety in this thread. I also like to see that there's a good few retired people still tinkering with cars as well. Some days I look forward to being retired other days I'm OK with going to work. I find that working with some good natured people helps things seem alright.
David Jenkins

posted on 26/6/19 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I'm enjoying the variety in this thread. I also like to see that there's a good few retired people still tinkering with cars as well. Some days I look forward to being retired other days I'm OK with going to work. I find that working with some good natured people helps things seem alright.

For me, the best bit of being a contractor was the honesty of it - if I was doing the job to an acceptable standard my contract got renewed; if not I would get the push. No 'corporate values' or 'appraisement bullshit' involved. Most of my contracts were 12 months or longer, none under 6 months.

JC

posted on 26/6/19 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
24 years as a pilot in the RAF, left 5 years ago and now watch the world go by in a corporate jet. Thought I’d have more free time to build cars but landed a management job in addition to flying......have just quit that so hopefully more garage time...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 26/6/19 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
used to design polymer components for the oil and gas industry and now I do "sales" for a 3D CAD package - variety is the spice of life

not quite ready to retire

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

JeffHs

posted on 26/6/19 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Long retired from OP's employer where I was desk bound but in Engineering so close to the interesting bits. Started 1st car build years ago ( 2 seater Citroen 2CV Special based on 'The Book', drove it a bit, got bored and started the Locost. Got the opportunity to retire very early with a good package then finished the Locost, started and finished the Auster rebuild, extended and rebuilt my house. Latest projects were a plywood open canoe built entirely from wood I had lying around and this winter I've designed and built a sailing rig for it. Tried it last week in Derwentwater. It's a bit tippy! Sold the 2CV Special last summer, still haven't bought an MX5 but I keep looking.
Looking for another project!

scudderfish

posted on 26/6/19 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've been in IT since I left uni in 92. Saw a surprising amount of the world as a programmer and did a year in Sydney with it. I've now moved into 'management' (I tend to describe myself as team butler rather than team leader) for Ocado on the website rather than the fancy robots. I got into cars & kit cars as I found software too ephemeral, I couldn't touch anything I made and that annoyed me.
Joshy

posted on 26/6/19 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a mechanical design engineer, working for a bespoke automation machinery company, mostly serving clients in the pharma/medical industries. Graduated uni in 2015, so I'm still pretty fresh into the workforce! A lot of my job is sat at the desk working the CAD machine or in meetings, but happily I do get into the workshop occasionally to make parts for proof-of-principle rigs or to fit/assemble modules for commercial machines.

Cars have been a life-long passion however, thanks to my dad, and his support (and use of garage space) was invaluable during building my Roadster!

SteveWalker

posted on 26/6/19 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

For me, the best bit of being a contractor was the honesty of it - if I was doing the job to an acceptable standard my contract got renewed; if not I would get the push. No 'corporate values' or 'appraisement bullshit' involved. Most of my contracts were 12 months or longer, none under 6 months.

Yes, I've been contracting for 18 years. It's great to not have to bother with the annual appraisals, targets for improvement and training, etc. of the staff in all the places I've been. Also, despite it costing me money, to just decide "I've had enough today, I'm going home early."

miskit

posted on 26/6/19 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
In order...
IT Sales
Superyacht engineer
.com entrepreneur
Singlehanded Sailor/Ocean racer
Race boat building operation
...Then gourmet mushroom farming. Just sold that business so I am now an unemployed layabout, looking for my next venture...

[Edited on 26/6/19 by miskit]

femster87

posted on 26/6/19 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
EXOTIC DANCER
T66

posted on 26/6/19 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
EXOTIC DANCER

Fake news ? or pictures ......

jeffw

posted on 26/6/19 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Weapons Engineering Artificer in the Royal Navy, disabled out and then worked in IT since 1989. Currently working as an IT Security Consultant for Investment Banks.
nick205

posted on 27/6/19 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
EXOTIC DANCER

Fake news ? or pictures ......

Well nothing in femster87's photo archive seems to suggest any exotic dancing (maybe LCB isn't the place to share such photos though).

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.