Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Colours for rear brake drums
dellyend1

posted on 7/4/20 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Colours for rear brake drums

Hi All,

With the spare time on my hands I have been looking at the re-painting jobs now that the ambient temp in the garage has risen following the winter.

Just wondered if there are any does and don'ts regarding painting of the rear drums and any colours that are frowned upon / ridiculed ?

What paint do you use for the drums ?

I have a Fury in blue and drums are currently black , but thinking red ?

Sorry, I fully get this is a first world problem , but like lots of us , looking at forms of distraction away from the bombardment of social media

Cheers and hope all are safe

Jeremy

loggyboy

posted on 7/4/20 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
VHT paint will be quite matt. Specific caliper paint will be glossier.

Colour is personal preference, but red is default.
As they are drums I assume your not fussed about performance but caliper/drum paint will act as an insulating layer.

Mistral Motorsport

watsonpj

posted on 7/4/20 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I won't do the red I have a Fury in Blue (originally oxford now olympic) and had painted the drums (and chassis) red and it didn't really look that great.
I have been slowly repainting everything black.
Tbh i don't know what i was thinking when i went with oxford blue with a red chassis and yellow suspension and rollbar.

Daf

posted on 7/4/20 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Paint them silver so they look like disks?
snapper

posted on 7/4/20 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf

But leave black spots so they look drilled

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

SPYDER

posted on 7/4/20 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Any colour you like...as long as it's black.
James

posted on 8/4/20 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 9/4/20 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Dont bother with E-Tech load of rubbish lasted less than two weeks on my yellow jesters front caliper/front discs before they rusted up again

As for hammer rite it's crap Or as someone else called it on here hammer ****

I am going to try the POR15 Chassis black I have left from the chassis painting job on my second Jester

Better than letting it harden in the tin It's doing an excellent job on the chassis

peter030371

posted on 9/4/20 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
In the late 90's I painted the drums on my first Striker with yellow (to match the chassis) Smoothrite. I left them to 'cure' for a week before giving them a bake in an oven at 80°C-90°C for a few hours.

They looked great for 15 years with a mixture of road and track use. After this they started to show some signs of light rust, not a huge amount but little specs. I sold the car a few years ago so no idea what they look like now

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/20 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've used Halfords brake caliper paint, in both red and blue. Lasts well but does need to be applied to a clean non rusty surface. As for colour it’s whatever matches the car best I suppose. Years ago I used smoothrite on the beach buggy’s drums and that burnt so I certainly would not recommend using that

[Edited on 9/4/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
peter030371

posted on 9/4/20 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Years ago I used smoothrite on the beach buggy’s drums and that burnt so I certainly would not recommend using that

[Edited on 9/4/20 by Mr Whippy]

How odd, I used smoothrite for 15+ years including track work and it never burnt on me. Maybe the post-cure bake I did helped.

nick205

posted on 10/4/20 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
On my MK Indy (after shot blasting the rust off) I painted the rear drums red using the same VHT red paint I used for the Pinto engine block. Looked fine 3 years later. Car itself had a yellow body with black arches front and rear. I painted them with the red as I had it there and I didn't want to fit smeggy looking rusty drums.

Red, black or blue would be my of choices. If you've got blue bodywork I think I'd go for black drums. Only if you've got suitable paint on-hand though - don't go out to get it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.