Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Old School - Save a Ford Pinto & Some Webers
perksy

posted on 21/4/20 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Old School - Save a Ford Pinto & Some Webers

Have a bit of a soft spot for the Ford Pinto and also Weber carb's

A mate asked if I could lend a hand on a project he had taken on to rescue a Ford RS2000 that had been buried in a barn for a few years

The engine and carbs needed a bit of work, but its always nice to try and save something old school

The Engine arrived and was placed on the trolley, It needed some love...

[/img]

Stripped and rebuilt it, Changed the Crank and the Cam, Replaced the oil pump, all Bearings etc etc

Then moved onto the Twin 40 Webers, Not standard on an RS2000 I know, but it would be a shame not to

They were a bit rough to start with, but after a good clean, Some love and a couple of rebuild kits...

He also had a couple of Cosworth Cam Covers that needed a polish and some paint

[Edited on 21/4/20 by perksy]

[Edited on 21/4/20 by perksy]

snapper

posted on 21/4/20 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job mate, I have rebuilt a few Pinto’s in my time. I’ve refreshed my hot one.
Those cam covers look great, I wonder if they could be modified to fit a Duratec!

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

James

posted on 21/4/20 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! Looks fantastic- well done!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

roadrunner

posted on 21/4/20 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work. :-)
nick205

posted on 22/4/20 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Nice work

Many people belittle the Ford "Pinto" engine as being old and heavy. I rebuilt and used one on my MK Indy and never had an issue with it. Solid, reliable engine for me with parts and knowledge in good supply.

Golfedrocks

posted on 22/4/20 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Great work, especially on those Webers they have come up great but not doubting that it looks like alot of work has gone into them! Nice to see an engine painted in subtle colours as well.

When I got my KitCar I was sceptical about getting anything with a Pinto engine, but ended up with one - and so glad I did. The simplicity and parts supply is great.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/4/20 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
After the bike like VW engines, I spent many years tinkering with Pinto's. Yeah they are now truly accent tech but for a 7 they work perfectly (which is also a truly accent tech car ) plus you have no cam belt worries. I also had one in my Cortina and it outlasted the rest of the car despite my driving...even chased by the police once
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
harmchar

posted on 22/4/20 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
That carbs look brilliant and anyone who has tackled a similar job can appreciate the time and effort that must have gone into them.
I'm just about to go into the garage and fill up my project 7 with pinto that's been sat for 4 years. Almost got it running yesterday but ran out of petrol and flattened the battery.
Will use this post as inspiration that it's worthwhile. Cheers.

perksy

posted on 22/4/20 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind comments

It took a few hours, but I think it was worth it in the end

Ref the Engine paint colour comment, I wanted to paint the engine block as near the standard Ford colour as possible and used Granville Cylinder Black Satin finish paint

Golfedrocks

posted on 23/4/20 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info on the colour, I will keep it in mind if I ever need to paint my engine (from memory mine is a silver/grey so not to lairy) but there is just something about a stealth looking engine. Although I'm thinking of selling up don't think it will be needed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.