Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: local papers young drivers campaign
Aboardman

posted on 5/4/07 at 05:18 AM Reply With Quote
local papers young drivers campaign

our local paper is trying to stop all the accidents with yound drivers and has proposed the following points

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/headlines/display.var.1307465.0.wasted_lives_key_aims.php

what do you think?

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/4/07 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think there are enough regulations in this country as it is.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

edspurrier

posted on 5/4/07 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
Bit Draconian. Especially for everyone up to 25 - would make lots of people's careers almost impossible right at the time they need to build up experience.

Wouldn't object to compulsory roadcraft lessons- in school perhaps - and a 1 year no motorway, reduced speed, reduced passenger period no bad thing. Canadians have it since young drivers with 2 passengers have about double the accident rate of those without.

Would encourage making an advanced test more attractive also.

Catpuss

posted on 5/4/07 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
" The immediate loss of a driving licence if a driver is caught speeding by more than 10mph over the speed limit for the first three years after passing your test."

Well for the first two years you are on probational which means you can only get up to 6 points then a ban.i.e. two incidents of 33 mph and you get a ban, which I think is far more draconian

Other than the 50 mph limit I think its all OK. Having a group of cars limited on dual carrage ways to 20mph below everyone else is also dangerous.

turbodisplay

posted on 5/4/07 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
"Advanced test for over 1100cc"
so a turbocharged 1000cc bec is okay then!!

I think any old car under 1300cc, or new car under 50hp is a liability as there is not enough power to join junctions safely (as you need very good judgement - something you don`t have as a young driver).

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tri

posted on 5/4/07 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Apart from that just being stupid for so many reasons why do they want us to drive around with only one person in the car? now if i want to go out to excape (my new hangout with my mates) and 4 of us were going we could all fit into the one car under that rule we'd need to take 2 cars and need two people to drive, so that would produce more carbon and for somepeole could cause then to race each other as a joke between 2 friends so thats just seams crazy to me

just a little bit about the doubled points that would mean 1 "mistake and your back with out licence but all "your old drivers" get away with same "mistake" 4 times. i understand you all have more driving experiance but its still the same thing.

sorry for long post

Tri

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/07 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
I suppose young drivers will be totally against this but to be honest I agree with all the points particularly these -

* A graduated license scheme for the first two years after passing the driving test, which would ban people under 25 from driving over 50mph, on the motorway or having more than one passenger under 25 in the car with them at any time.

* The display of P-plates on a driver's car for the first two years after they pass their test.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 5/4/07 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Don't worry about it, it's just an inflamatory piece designed to sell papers by appealing to some and irritating others.
DaveFJ

posted on 5/4/07 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
<rant>

It's all very well to agree with the points made but do we really want to have laws and regulations for absolutely everything? this nanny state has gone completely power mad and want to regulate and control every aspect of our lives. We are already suffering more regulation and survielance than any other country in the world! a free country my arse!

If it wasn't for family commitments I would have abandoned this particular sinking ship a long while ago.......

</rant>

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

trogdor

posted on 5/4/07 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
what if you pass your test after your 25? does it mean you can drive over 50? unlike anyone under 25?

i still have to pass my driving test, though i like to think i have reasonable judgement that stems from cycling tho a busy city, is amazing how people just see right though you, or get mad if you hold them up for a few secs despite it being rush hour anyway.

i would do the advanced stuff when i pass as its worthwhile if only for the reduced insurance!

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/07 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Simple for that do this -

* The display of P-plates on a driver's car for the first two years after they pass their test, during this time they will be banned from driving over 50mph or on the motorway.

plus if they do their advanced driving course they get a years reduction of the above rule.

zxrlocost

posted on 5/4/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
60 years ago this dictator tried to take over the world

we were having none of it

60 years later.....

Dont worry England weve got plenty of dictators in charge but there creeping things in slowly so we dont make a big fuss.

Daft thing is there only making laws and lives more awkward for the good general law abiding people

2 year ban for 10mph over the speed limit??

[Edited on 5/4/07 by zxrlocost]

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/07 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Did you listen to radio one this morning? They were wanting triple deck motorways and the upper level had a minimum of 100mph where we drive inflatable cars and even the sides of the roads where inflatable for safety of course. Cool

[Edited on 5/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

trogdor

posted on 5/4/07 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
fair point i was only being picky really, in my experience of young drivers all my friends at college and uni are pretty careful, expecially so if they get caught by a speed camera so that they only had one chance left.

my housemate wasn't so careful, he was abit reckless at times, like being with him when doing 130 on the M27. since he got caught going 86 which was lucky for him and only resulted in a fine, he has been alot more careful too.

it is only the minority that are right idiots.

novacaine

posted on 5/4/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
the dispalying "p" plates for a set ammount of time has been around for a while on the isle of man, they have to display for a year, but they also start driving at 16, reduce the age to 16 and put plate on and im happy but it dont think its a good idea, plates yes but is a piece of card on the back gonna stop someone driving like a tw*t? hardly....

they wont be able to do the 2 year ban for under 25 under the age discrimination act, if you put it into a different context and exaggerate it a bit (i love to do this ) it would be like saying everyone over 40 gets a 5 year sentence for murder but everyone under 40 gets life.....same idea, punishing people for being young again, gets a bit boring after a while....

i got a better idea, (one that might not go down too well...) shoot anyone who decides to drive a modified nova or a modified corsa or a modified saxo then the roads will be much safer... ( sorry to anyone who drives them cars but 90% of them i see drive like tw*ts)

i love going off on a rant....

Matt

Stuart Walker

posted on 5/4/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
As everyone knows, drivers driving slowly are often as dangerous as those driving to fast... So the 50mph rule would cause people to overtake dangerously, and probably increase the number of accidents! It will also introduce a hierachy of drivers, and make those allowed to go over 50 feel superior to us, again probably not a good thing.

Driving from York to Sheffield in a car that would only do 50 yesterday was the scariest drive I have done in a long time.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/07 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
i got a better idea, (one that might not go down too well...) shoot anyone who decides to drive a modified nova or a modified corsa or a modified saxo then the roads will be much safer... ( sorry to anyone who drives them cars but 90% of them i see drive like tw*ts)

quote:

when I started reading this I thought oh god here's 'The Voice Of Reason'...

But you clearly haven't thought this through, bullets cost money but hangings free

[Edited on 5/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

jimgiblett

posted on 5/4/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
3 points for wearing any form of headwear (with the obvious religious exceptions) in a car with a roof or roof up.

Seriously though - the waste of young human life is tragic. As a farther of two boys I am not looking forward to when they will be out driving with their mates.

I'd have thought a car full of kids with showing off and passenger encouragement would be more a risk than two separate cars.

- Jim

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/07 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
3 points for wearing any form of headwear (with the obvious religious exceptions) in a car with a roof or roof up.
quote:

that's the queen gona get points now

What is with these old fart caps the chav's are wearing, don't they see how stupid they look?? It's like the bash st kids, or one in particular...must be their role model Rescued attachment Bash_street_kids.jpg
Rescued attachment Bash_street_kids.jpg

jimgiblett

posted on 5/4/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

that's the queen gona get points now

Only if she wears one of her crowns or tiarras (sp?) when driving the horsebox

DIY Si

posted on 5/4/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
As someone under 25, I really can't see the point of most of that. I can see how a graduated power/engien size thing woudl work, but the way that works under 25 all I can drive is basically a metro. Do any manufacturers make <1100cc cars that aren't dangerously slow? Also, the day I turn 25, havign driven no faster than 50 mph for the last 8 !!!!! years I can now go out and buy a skyline. Or any fast car I like, without any of the natural progression of going up in car size/power etc as insurance and funds allow. Also, this would be illegal due to the handy age discrimination act. If they want to apply restrictions to young drivers, why not to all the old folk who drive at 35 everywhere? They can be far more dangerous than young drivers.
If the stagered things up to 21, or for the first 3-4 years of drivign then that would be a more sensible way. Just because you're young doesn't mean you're a bad driver, just as being older doesn't make you any better, as my Mum's driving scares the poo out of me!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I think they should ban everyone who isn't 34 and that the age limit goes up one year each year.

Oh an you also must have blue eye's and be a bloke...and own a nissan. That will surely cut the deaths on the road, smart

DIY Si

posted on 5/4/07 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I've got blue eyes and am a bloke, so I'm half way there! Just not quite as old as you are!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Aboardman

posted on 5/4/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
but just think of the number of bec kitcars that could be sold to under 25's

less than 1.1 ltr.
only 2 seats.
not much use on a motorway.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Well, I've got blue eyes and am a bloke, so I'm half way there! Just not quite as old as you are!

don't feel so bad, nobody's perfect...except me that is

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.