Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alfa Romeo donor?
dodgedartgt

posted on 8/8/08 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
Alfa Romeo donor?

Has anyone used an Alfa Spider as a donor vehicle? I have an opporunity for an '82 for cheap. What are the pluses and minuses?
I did just a very quick bit of research and found that '82 was the first year of the Bosch fuel injection (sure looks like a clunky bit of engineering).
The exhaust is on the left, intake on right. I would still need a steering rack. I didn't notice where the starter is.

Looking for opinions and ideas,
Mike

[Edited on 8/8/08 by dodgedartgt]

mookaloid

posted on 8/8/08 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure where the gearbox is on that model if it's in the back axle like some Alfas it would be tricky - if it is connected to the engine it should be good.

You would need to have a look at the front uprights to see if they are suitable and the back axle (if the gearbox isn't there) to see if it is a live axle or independant. Live axles are easiest!

HTH

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

skodaman

posted on 8/8/08 at 02:14 AM Reply With Quote
One of my dream cars those. Can't you just restore it to standard? Mind you I'm well aware they're more common Stateside than here in UK. I've even seen more in Japan than in U.K. Beautiful looking engine as well. But can't you use an MX5/Eunos/Miata instead. Would be much easier.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 8/8/08 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
Im trying to remember back to that episode of top gear a few weeks back with the alfa's. I think the gearbox is in the back thats not to say it cant still be used

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Marcus

posted on 8/8/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
The rear gearbox was in the 75. The Spider (duetto) had a normal 'box I believe, would make an interesting donor. If it's past saving use it

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johnmor

posted on 8/8/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa

To confirm the gearbox is as per normal rear wheel drive car. Engine is a pretty bullet proof chain driven Twin OHC.
Produces around 120 BHP.
Gearbox will bolt on to later 8v twin spark,( miner mods) and that easily gets 155 bhp

However if you have a 1982 spyder , and its complete, the parts are worth a fortune.

Engine is worth nothing but things like mirrors , switches and pannels are worth a few quid, could go a long way to paying for a lot of your locost!

Welcome to the world of Alfa,

dodgedartgt

posted on 14/8/08 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys...

Johnmor, what is the 8v twin spark? Locost build compatible?

This particular Spider is quite rough with over 130k miles though does appear to be mostly complete. (If it were a horse, it would've been rode hard and put away wet.)

I swung by the local library, had previously glanced at a compendioum on Alfas, it must have been checked out and I haven't had more time to research yet.

One interesting thing is it even has the GRP hardtop with it (sans busted rear plexi window.

Skodaman, this car is not nearly rare enough here in the States to warrant even considering a resto. :-(

Also, I have a coworker I just learned races at the SCCA national level in Mazdas and has them as his daily drivers. He is offering me a complete '88 RX7 as a donor, base model with 4 lug 14" wheels.

I drove an '87 RX7 GXL for several years as my daily. It was a really nice car but I'm really thinking I want more torque than a 13B generates without the complexity and cost of turbocharging.

Maybe a build using both of them.

I'm also considering using a Ford 2.3 turbo (Mustang, Thunderbird, etc). There is a lot of high performance support for that engine here. I've just never had ANY Ford experience.

On the other hand, as a heavy Mopar guy, I could use a Dodge truck 2.5 I4 (it is RWD configured) gussied up with all the 2.2l turbo stuff (same basic block but FWD configured). Even as an N/A engine, the 2.5 really like to wind it up.

Ideas, lots of ideas.
Mike Bynum
SW FL

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.