Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake Lines
scootz

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Brake Lines

What's the general consensus as to the 'best' option....

Fully Braided?
Copper Piped to Braided Ends?
No Real Difference?

02GF74

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
define by what exactly you mean by "best".

cost? feel? longevity? appearance?

I vote for kunifer hard lines with braided flexible lines.

My reasoning being that the hard lines are never gonna expand without applying superhumna pressure hence you get positive pedal feel - I know, someone VVV will post that flexi hoses don't expand either but I cannot see that myself- there is plastic tube that is gonna expand before a kunifer one given with same pressure and the fact that flexi lines bend, the inner must change shape = change in volume.

The braided flexi are supperior over rubber hoses as far as expansion goes but have disadvantage since you cannot tell if the inner is damaged. I have not heard of anyone having had failure of the inner due to ageing.

Cost wise kunifer is cheaper than braided - maybe lighter too, takes less space and probably can be bent into a tighter radius.

not saying ^^^ is correct, but is what I think.

adam1985

for my brake lines i used that kunifer pipe suposed to be better than copper
DarrenW

My personal preference would be solid lines where they are unlikely to move and keep the flexi's where you need them to move.
Cant see the point in running braided throughout due to;
1. Cost,
2. Need to keep the pressure within the pipe where at all possible. I know braided are supposed to bulge less than std rubber but i bet they do reduce the pressure a bit if overly long).

JAG

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Steel pipes with braided/flexibles where necessary.

I wouldn't/didn't use copper purely because of the ease with which the copper pipes can fail via fatigue (due to vibration).

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

DarrenW

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Kunifer. Ive been told its a copper alloy and more suited to marine applications - and hence resists corrosion better. Only slight downer is that im sure it work hardens faster than straight copper so only likes to be bent once.

scootz

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys... !

I only ask as I won't have a servo on the car and want the best 'brake-response' possible.

850 (ish) kg and 450 (ish)bhp.

At present, the kit I'm working with has (new) braided hose all the way. I could sell that at a decent price and replace (turning a wee profit?) with solid lines if it means that I'm going to stop faster.

Just thinking out loud...

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that copper pipe is a no-no

but as has been stated Kunifer is the proper, use intended, brake pipe material and is much less prone to failure either through fatigue (like steel and copper) or corrosion (like steel)

kunifer hard line with braided flexies for me

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

DarrenW

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Was it braided right through as supplied by Ultima? If so id probs leave it, assuming they know their stuff and its std practice on their cars.

DarrenW

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
In theory braided right through may be OK. Id guess most of our cars are perhaps over braked anyway. The reason why car manufacturers dont do it this way could as much to do with cost as it is to do with brake performance. Could be worth checking the logic with Ultima if you have contact with the factory (or on an Ultima forum).

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
still don't like the idea of braided throughout, there's no way it doesn't expand as the braid weave stretches, it'll be much less than rubber but way more than a metal pipe.

[Edited on 16/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - it's the standard Ultima set-up. Noticed that some guys run servo's on theirs though (and not established if this is the 'norm'... will check).

Thought it best to ask here (still the best place to fish for kit-build knowledge on the net... I'd rather speak to those who've tried 'different' things and have worked out for themselves what works and what doesn't!)

DarrenW

posted on 16/10/08 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
still don't like the idea of braided throughout, there's no way it doesn't expand as the braid weave stretches, it'll be much less than rubber but way more than a metal pipe.

Im with you on this. Personally wouldnt go braided right through, however id be interested to know why Ultima offer this as standard. Im not a brake expert but they may have done some research.

02GF74

posted on 16/10/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
quote:

Im with you on this. Personally wouldnt go braided right through, however id be interested to know why Ultima offer this as standard. Im not a brake expert but they may have done some research.

I know if feels wrong, in fact I said I wouldn't do it, but I have looked into this before and although I cannot find the reference, there was a write up by Goodrich that in effect said there is no noticeable difference between their braided hoses and hard lines as far as hose expansion.

Therefore Ultima are correct in fitting this.

So why don't I believe? Dunno, it seems wrong.... but I am not alone, see above.

Most likely the cost is why this is not done more often - it has the advantage of fewer joins.

As it is already fitted in the car, I'd leave it.

[Edited on 16/10/08 by 02GF74]

scootz

posted on 16/10/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a quick search on the Ultima forum on Pistonheads... not everyone runs servo's!
SyKaTurbo

posted on 16/10/08 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
i decided to run braided throughout as i think it looks better and neater and i happened to have access to a large supply of lines and fittings through work

02GF74

posted on 16/10/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG

I wouldn't/didn't use copper purely because of the ease with which the copper pipes can fail via fatigue (due to vibration).

We hear this ^^^ yet I have yet to hear of copper pipe failing for the above reasons if fitted with sensible distance between mounting points.

DarrenW

posted on 16/10/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by JAG

We hear this ^^^ yet I have yet to hear of copper pipe failing for the above reasons if fitted with sensible distance between mounting points.

This is probs why SVA says it has to be supported at max 300mm intervals and not allowed to touch anything.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/10/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Fatiguing copper pipes are a myth spouted on forums by numpty’s who come out with b$ll$cks like this like they know it as fact -

quote:
"The problem with the copper is that, being soft is less resistant to the frequent pressure cycles involved in braking and is far more likely to rupture with fatigue than the plated steel bundy tubing. If copper was best for automotive brake lines, then it would be used as OEM by car manufacturers."

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 16/10/08 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Fatiguing copper pipes are a myth spouted on forums by numpty’s who come out with b$ll$cks like this like they know it as fact -

quote:
"The problem with the copper is that, being soft is less resistant to the frequent pressure cycles involved in braking and is far more likely to rupture with fatigue than the plated steel bundy tubing. If copper was best for automotive brake lines, then it would be used as OEM by car manufacturers."

Are you really saying that not all that is put down in writing is actually correct? I regularly service my online BS filters for this reason

britishtrident

posted on 19/10/08 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Normal rubber covered flexies with Kunnifer pipes. --
JAG

posted on 21/10/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Fatiguing copper pipes are a myth spouted on forums by numpty’s who come out with b$ll$cks like this like they know it as fact

I take offence at this remark.

I never talk rubbish and anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a professional engineer who has worked for a major brake system supplier for 13 years.

I know my brake systems and copper brake pipes are shite that no brake system supplier or vehicle manufaturer has ever fitted as standard for the very reason I stated.

They fatigue - you pr!ck!

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Alan B

posted on 21/10/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, etc....hard lines plus flexis

Ultima...flexis right throughout

Who would be the best to mimic?....I think I know.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.