Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Get it done for SVA?
mikeb

posted on 29/10/08 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Get it done for SVA?

Reading the potential scary costs of IVA, i figured I might be better to spend an extra 300 and buy the majority of bit needed to finish my car.

Say I wanted a SVA data in late March when should I submit my application.

When do you actually have to pay?

Other problem is will I actually get it finished.

I have most of the important parts and my chassis is finished. So I need to put the floor in and start assembly.Engine and box have been in once. Any chance of meeting the cut off dates?

On a positive side the wife moves out in 2 weeks with my daughter so I'll have time in the evenings!!!

[Edited on 29/10/08 by mikeb]

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/10/08 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't sound like a positive note to me mate!

Still, getting stuck into the car will be a nice sliver lining to a rather large cloud!

All the bestw ith your project and beating the IVA!!

mikeb

posted on 29/10/08 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
No its not really positive, but every cloud.
At least I keep the dog!!

SyKaTurbo

posted on 29/10/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the same boat trying to get the car done before the IVA and i think there are going to be a fair amount of people pushing to get the car done before then so it might be worth booking it in early advance as possible but also give yourself some time to do a re-test if you fail too.

BenB

posted on 29/10/08 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Presumable there'll be a gap for re-tests between no new SVA tests being done and the IVA process being made obligatory.... Might be worth asking for the day before the SVA ends just to get on the SVA process rather than going down the IVA route....
smart51

posted on 29/10/08 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for a date with a month to spare before IVA. EVERYONE will want a date in the last month. You might find that there are very long waiting lists if you leave ti too late.
m8kwr

posted on 29/10/08 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
This is what i have found out is different to the SVA, but would like to have the released IVA.

Need a reverse
Head restraints
horn,
labeling of lights in the dash area
Rear reg plate
Forward vision (180 degrees)
Wheel guards, front can't be more then 30 degress off centre, and rear 50 degress
Something to do with the VIN plate (but unsure how this affects people who make their own chassis's)

There are probably some more, but i was starting to fall asleep.....

afj

posted on 29/10/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
When i spoke to a nice chap at nottingham sva he said as far as he knew, as long as your sva application is in before the iva starts you will be tested as per sva.he asked when mine (mk)will be ready for sva and i told him about xmas time and he said to submit my forms now!
mikeb

posted on 29/10/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
So say I aim for a date of end of feb.
How do I go about getting that date or is it luck depending when you put your application in and how busy they are.
Its sounds like a 2 month wait from submitting forms, so in theorey if I get the forms in before xmas I should get a date end of feb?

BenB

posted on 29/10/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
You can ask for a specific date on the form. I asked for quite a few months in advance and got that specific date. Job done
Dangle_kt

posted on 29/10/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone confirm the SVA cost?
DarrenW

posted on 29/10/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall that once the process the forms and cash the cheque they give you the next available date. This is dependant on backlog and centre you use. i think you can then phone up and adjust the date to suit. can anyone else confirm this.

If you apply in december and then shock horror they give you a date 3 weeks later, if you explain you cant make a test in January due to planned operation, illness, holiday, work commitments etc then you should be able to select another later date.

Doesnt the form allow you to say when you want the test? It was too long ago now when i applied to remember!

robinj66

posted on 29/10/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
There is a notice at Gillingham that suggests the IVA will come in after 29th April.

The various testers there told me that if you get an SVA test in before the changeover then you have the usual 6 months to retest (as many times as you like) - all under the old system/regs/cost structure.

SVA at present is £190 with retest at £38 each time. You have to submit your payment with the SVA1 form to VOSA

big_wasa

posted on 29/10/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
hmm reading that I really need to get mine done as I dont have head restraints and I dont want to pay the extra for iva.

I think I will aim for early march, that should give me a couple of months panicing time.

Scotty

posted on 31/10/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
spoke to local sva center - iva looks to be £460ish

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.